"upgrading" an old PD105 Estate...

Hi guys,

First off. And an absolute. I don't want to replace this car. It has a lot of sentimental value, for various reasons, so please don't suggest it.

So....I have a 2006 PD105 2wd Estate, and want to make it a kind of weekend camper. It needs new sills, it's currently lowered on coilovers and has the stock 16" alloys with 205/55R16 tyres recently put back on.

For the sills, is it possible to remove the outer skin and replace it with some kind of box steel? Something to give it a lot more strength as well as a full solid length to be able to use a jack on...I can put the standard metal on but i know its a weak point, especially if I get in a situation of being limited on ways to jack the car up...i don't know the legalities of replacement sills but I have had cars with sills made from various old appliances before!

Suspension wise, I was thinking of just getting a set of shocks and springs for a Scout to raise it a little higher than stock, however the hubs are for a 50mm shock, would that be possible or are all of the Scouts a 55mm? I'd guess swapping hubs isnt a simple job? If there's a simpler way of a raise though it'd be handy! 

Tyre wise, I'd like something a bit chunkier. It currently has winter tyres on and I'm in no way ever contemplating greenlaning in it, but there'll be times where we're venturing off solid roads and for a 2wd I'd like the best chance possible so thinking of something usually found on a Landrover or similar, maybe even just getting some wheel adaptors and using Landrover wheels...this would likely then lead to arch work for clearance and was thinking of cutting out some of the metal and putting on some universal type of plastic arches to cover the tread of the tyres? What would be the best "off road" type/size of tyre to go for without any major rubbing of inner arches etc?

I'd also like to remove the front bumper and have a metal cage type, but I don't know the legalities of that! Obviously a silly idea, but I've seen some overland cars in different countries with a solid metal bumper and I quote like the look of it. Lots of LandRovers etc have a solid bumper so I'm guessing it could be road legal on a car?

The car itself is currently in a fairly rough looking shape, but it's relatively solid underneath. I won't get rid of it, and it will be brought back to a (fairly) decent standard again. Ideally everything it needs will involve an upgrade and I can make a Overland kind of estate to go and explore the country a bit more with my son, and will mean we can go off to various RC events too. Inside will be relatively standard with bedding, window blinds and removable internal storage and I will also have a roof box and roof rack fitted.

Unusually, it's something I'm actually wanting to get on with...most of the time these days working on my car doesn't have the appeal it used to! Plus the Mk2 is, imo, nicer to drive than my MK3 CR150!

Also, if anyone around the Norfolk/Suffolk area has any parts that I could make use of, please let me know!