MOT long list of advisories

The car just passed it's MOT by the skin of it's teeth.

I've been quoted with parts and labour nearly £800, that's not including the exhaust or tyres.

I had the front tyres replaced, and it's only outer part of the silencer that's corroded.

The front tyres lasted well as I had them put on 12 years ago when I first got the car.

17108657328831480777452928503464.thumb.jpg.4d34f1c241a715d028af2e0014f0754e.jpg

Edited by Lynn67

How much tread left on the tyres?

Does that quote cover every item on that list?

I would ignore some of them, like the exhaust corrosion, and possibly the brake hose ferrule corrosion, probably even the console bushes if you haven't noticed any handling problems or graunchy noises with the car.

• Like 1

I've had the exhaust advisory on the last 3 mot's but the inner case is fine so I just ignore that one.

There was plenty of tread on the tyres still, but that's not included as I get my tyres done somewhere else.

I would keep the tyres for another year if there's plenty of tread, imagine if you put a new pair on and got an unrepairable puncture in one soon after. 

Where's the oil leak origin, did they say?

Can be due to the oil separator on the back of the engine being clogged, causing excess pressure in the crankcase. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I would keep the tyres for another year if there's plenty of tread, imagine if you put a new pair on and got an unrepairable puncture in one soon after. 

Where's the oil leak origin, did they say?

Can be due to the oil separator on the back of the engine being clogged, causing excess pressure in the crankcase. 

The oil leak is at the front of the engine, possibly the sensor as it's a very small leak.

Two part worn tyres are £60 and they are nearly new, it's not worth putting new tyres on now as I do low mileage in a year.

Edited by Lynn67

Personally, I'd swap the front tyres with those on the rear. The fronts get a lot more pressure placed on them the rears and if they were to blow in use they are safer at the back than the front. 

1 hour ago, Lynn67 said:

The oil leak is at the front of the engine, possibly the sensor as it's a very small leak.

Have a close look there, and around the cam cover, for loose bolt(s). I've fixed several oil leaks (not just on my car) by tightening up loose bolts.

• Like 2

Over the years I've had various advisories which haven't been done, only for the following year it not be mentioned

Examples include:

In 2012 I had 2 advisories about the windscreen - never changed it & hasn't featured again

2015 - an advisory for a noisy wheel bearing, never changed it & 50k miles later still not mentioned again

Don't get hung up on it.  I had a similar one for brake hoses but i did change them myself.  

My back box was corroded on the outer skin so I just pulled away the rough looking bits.

The antiroll bar links might be worth doing before the next one

Also one year my car was going to fail because of the factory fitted xenons - nothing to do with alignment, the garage thought they were modified which isn't allowed. I argued & showed them the original order form & page in the manual which shows the D2S bulb, they then passed it

• Like 2