Routing rear dashcam cable

Hi all, 

I'm going to get a new dashcam with a rear camera and wondered if anyone had experienced any issues with routing the cable from the rear view mirror to the tailgate window?  

This is the dashcam if anyone has used and has comments? 

Thanks 

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/291-viofo-a139-pro-2ch-first-4k-hdr-front-and-rear-dashcam-with-the-newest-sony-starvis-2-imx678-sensor.html

SWMBO had exactly the same camera fitted to her Octavia by a dashcam fitter. He used a flexible wire thingy to pass the cable through the head lining and with a bit of wiggling, managed to get it through the rubber boot into the tailgate so no messy wires there either.

He also fitted the same in the Kodiaq as I couldn’t be @rsed with the glovebox malarkey.

• Like 1

There have been plenty of owners who’ve routed the feed wire up through the headlining and regretted it.

The DAB antenna is close by and the electrical interference from the dash cam wire (even worse if excess wire is coiled up), can interfere with the DAB signal.

Most professional installations route the wire down through the plastic sills and carpet instead.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your responses. 👍

I went ahead and ordered the dashcam as all the reviews are good.  Getting a local car electrics company 

to fit it for me and will pass on that info about staying low and using sills and carpet. 

A side question 🙂 

The salesman told me the SD card was in the lower glove box but I can't see it or any mention of it in the manual.  Was he 

giving me duff info? 

Thanks 

The SD card slots were on the early Kodiaq’s only, their function has largely become redundant on the later models with the car updating itself and wireless technology for mobile phones meaning there’s no longer a need to store your music on an SD card. The same applies to the DVD slot that was also there on early models.

• Like 1

Further to the DAB comment above, also check whether there any curtain airbags above the doors.   If so, make sure the camera cable doesn’t foul them and affect their operation.  “Wiggling a flexible wire thingy through the headlining” sounds a bit risky to me if there are airbags.  Maybe route the cable along the floor to be certain?

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

Hi @silver1011 

The early 20s salesman was good but he did waffle a bit on things he really didn't know for sure - salesman eh 😁

I see you're from York, which part can I ask?  From there myself (Haxby) but left in my late 20s - long time ago.  Fabulous city. 

• Like 1

We used to be in Haxby too (Forestgate), but moved to Strensall 20 years ago. We’re now a little a further out but very much love York.

Small world 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2024 at 17:23, silver1011 said:

We used to be in Haxby too (Forestgate), but moved to Strensall 20 years ago. We’re now a little a further out but very much love York.

Small world 👍

That rings a bell, I'm sure I delivered papers to that in my yoof 😁 

Move to New Earswick then Linton-on-Ouse before leaving.  

Cheers

• Like 1