CD Player

Does anyone know if CD players can be retro-fitted?

Yesterday I bought a 280TSi L&K, pre-reg on a 73 plate, to replace my 66 plate 280TSi L&K.

The old car has a CD player fitted in the glovebox.

The new car appears to have just a blanking plate in the glovebox.

SWMBO has an extensive collection of CD's that she likes to play in the car on long journeys.

So:

Does anyone know if a CD player available from Skoda that will plug straight into the glovebox, like in my old car?

Anyone know if the necessary connections are present behind the blanking plate?

Failing a simple solution as above, would an after-market CD player be compatible, and would it work with the Canton infotainment system without a lot of bodging?

And failing all that, I think I might have to drag SWMBO into the 21st Century and sort out her phone with Spotify.

Thanks Phil

No slots in the glovebox blanking plate, unfortunately.

It's just a blank plate with what looks like a couple of screwdriver-actuated catches to remove the plate.

I have an auto-electrician coming next week to fit an aftermarket towbar and electrics.

I'll ask him to take off the plate and see what's behind it.

Best case is that we find a connector specifically to fit to a CD head unit.

But knowing Skoda, I'm doubtful. 

It’ll be far and I mean far cheaper to rip the cds to mp3, upload to your phone and play via Bluetooth.

It’ll be time consuming and may need to buy a usb drive if you use a modern laptop and doesn’t come with a drive.

Bonus is you’ll have a digital back up too

@SailorP The "blanking plate" is actually the front of the head unit.  The screen in the dash is just the screen.  I wouldn't concern your auto leccy with removing the unit.  If you do you will pull out a box with a load of plugs in the back.  As you have canton I believe that makes it harder to link up any additional source.  It would also need coding to allow you to select a different source.  All of which would like invalidate your warranty.

By far the slickest route would be spotify or similar on the phone.  Cheapest would be ripping the CDs and saving them on the phone.  Another convenient option would be a low profile USB stick with it all saved and left in the car.

• Like 1