MOT Fail

Evening all, 

MOT today and got the following minor defect - suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated. 

Am I right in thinking this is a new ball joint? Quick search through the forum suggest this is an easy DIY job with 4 bolts in total. Do I need tracking afterwards?

Thanks

This can be a diy job but for a few things you do not need a ball joint splitter but if yu have one you can use it, the suspension arm can be levered down with a bar keep pressure on the bar then tap both sides of the ball joint casing and it will realese keep pressing down until joint is out of the arm to realease the ball joint but here comes the difficult bit some models have the ball joint riveted onto the arm others have bolts so you can remove the rivets  but takes a bit of time with a grinder personally i found it easier to remove the whole arm and do it off the car (riveted ones) but no need to do this with the bolted on ones, some people have bought a new joint then took the rubber off the new one and fitted it to the joint in place but myself would not recommend this action ,the tracking will need checking after changing this joint