Mk1 1.6 sr idle issue - small annoying niggle!

Hello Guys

So I got my car home, see my other thread.. - Loving it , after owning a Kia picanto that is falling to bits with no space and ride comfort this is in a different ball game. Its now that time where I am learning about the car, and DO NOT yet trust it as she is new to me.  Last owner has not done much mileage in the last few years and i think from the MOT history its only done 10K in two years, so she is booked in for Belts and as its on the original clutch I am also having this done.. The last owner wasnt in a hurry to sell so it had been sat for two months not used much. (I think this is relevant) so it either needs a good drive or will benefit from its service next week.  Until this evening Ive asked for a oil service, but I think now its gonna need the air filter, sparks , and possibly the throttle body cleaned, when I parked up tonight the revs did not sit stead and bounces ever so slighty- like from 720-750 annoying but does not stall. But still it would be nice to solve this, rather than just "Live with the problem", I am I correct in thinking its probably something easily resolved such as a MAF sensor, carbon on the TB, or 02 sensor... Secondly how long will it take a good garage to find the cause as the problem has not caused a light on the dash.  

Oh and its a AEH engine, 1,6 Petrol.

Edited by waveydave79

The idle speed is controlled by the electronic throttle body and timing adjustment both controlled by the ECU.

Cleaning the throttle body and checking for vacuum leaks from perished hoses may effect a cure. If you are only getting a small variation in rpm I would suggest living with it if the suggested does not effect a cure. It is not stalling and not effecting the way it drives.

The car is over 20 years old and many of the components may have worn away from ideal.

Hello, I'd suggest starting with a good service with oil and filters, including new plugs and see where you are after that - it could just need a good run out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What you have said makes sence looked futher in the mileage in the MOT history and the car has only done 500 miles in 2 years. Crazy.

driven her 100 mile today as need to get fetch a parcel.  hunting went away when I was at lights but came back on and off. hasn't got any worse.  However if I so as much breath of the gas pedal the revs are perfectly stable. So i think its something to do with the ideal.

All fluids, oil levels all at the same level afterwards, engine still bone dry. So starting to build up some trust in her now.

Edited by waveydave79

Was there some petrol in the tank from who knows when or where when you got the car?  Had that gone now and just nice fresh fuel being run now.   That might still be winter grade from filling stations.  Or maybe new summer spec in the last week or so. 

Posted (edited)

there was about 7 liters left in when I got the car, Thats gone now. its gone through about £20 of non supermarket fuel. I used standard E10, dont know if it would be benefical to use a fuel treatment. Its booked in for belts/clutch and service next week so fingers crossed it will help. Also asked the garage to look at the throttle body and replace air filter as a starting point. To be frank unless this problem risks causing damage, I am willing to probably live with it as well it does not trip codes or lights.

Edited by waveydave79

Hey guys

The issue with the idle has gotten alittle better after a few days of driving so not as worried about that now.

Today I have dealt with the tires they were starting to crack and the backs were low. So now 4 new tires fitted. 

Had a good look on the underside its mainly tidy with surface rust, Shocks and struts are original so may be something i look at later.

Car needs

1) Waterpump and cambelt change

2) Clutch replacment

3) Oil filter and service perhaps new plugs - will be checking

4) There is some oil remints in the underside tray at the back left. Not enough to drip on the drive, This needs investigation hoping it will be just a seal/gasket or just someone being clumsy from a previous change. 

5) Passenger tie rod end may need doing. After I had the tires replaced, they were unable to do the tracking. This will be investigated. 

6) Front drivers door latch needs replacing - fairly straight forward but not something i can do myself. I have purchased the part and asked garage to sort this.

Car is now at the garage for the clutch / waterpump / cambelt / due to my back they are also doing the service unfortunatly state of my back means I cant do these jobs anymore. They will investigate if it needs the tie rod end etc. At a guess its going to be 1.5 Days of labour. Belts waterpump and clutch + Oil change service coming in at £700 plus the latch and tie rod end, not expecting much changed from £950-£1000 to be honest.  but then this gives me the peace of mind she will be mechanically perfect. It is  then just the underseal left to complete.

mid / Long term (summer job) Waxoil - remove surface rust and treat the underside of the car.