Routing rear dashcam cable V2

Hi, 

I recently had a dashcam fitted to my 2024 Kodiaq.  The kit was front and read and the garage 

did the front without issues but did not tackle the back as they could not see how to route the 

cable. They said they could not see any way of getting the sills off as they all seemed in one piece.  

I said I would seek advice on here and go back to them 🤞

Has anyone on here routed a cable from the front to the rear and were there any issues/tips I can pass on? 

Thanks 

Edited by thedavegray

No tips I’m afraid, other than to find a better garage. I had a rear reverse camera fitted and the wiring was routed under the plastic sills.

I’d sooner figure out how to lift the sills than drop the roof liner…

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

No tips I’m afraid, other than to find a better garage. I had a rear reverse camera fitted and the wiring was routed under the plastic sills.

I’d sooner figure out how to lift the sills than drop the roof liner…

Yes fair point about sills v roof.  It's going in to the Skoda dealership next week so I might see if the mechanics 

know. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Another reason to try and avoid using the roof lining is the DAB receiver is up there somewhere. Dash cam wiring routed close to the receiver has been known to disrupt the signal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2024 at 21:12, thedavegray said:

Yes fair point about sills v roof.  It's going in to the Skoda dealership next week so I might see if the mechanics 

know. 

Cheers

I took this into the local franchise/dealership last week.  They said that it would have to be the headlining and it would take 2 hours - £280 😭

Still not yet managed to find out how to remove the sills.  

Have to wonder why there's no a manufacturer who makes a wireless pair (front n rear), then the rear cam could just be wired into the power point in the boot. 

35 minutes ago, thedavegray said:

Have to wonder why there's no a manufacturer who makes a wireless pair (front n rear), then the rear cam could just be wired into the power point in the boot. 

I have Garmin webcams - they’re not paired in any way to each other, and the one I have for the rear is a small one with no screen. The only wires are for power. The app on my phone connects to both of them for config, downloading images etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thedavegray said:

I took this into the local franchise/dealership last week.  They said that it would have to be the headlining and it would take 2 hours - £280 😭

Still not yet managed to find out how to remove the sills. 

Where exactly are they mounting the rear dashcam?  What sills are they talking about?

I've installed the wiring for the factory rearview camera.  Just pull off the plastic surround on the hatch, feed wires thru sleeve in to body of the car ( which is the trickiest part of the operation). With the factory rearview camera, the instructions were such I routed the cabling it as if it were installed in the factory, but if it's just a 6m cable for a 3rd party rear dashcam, if it were me I'd Just pull the trim off, feed the wire down the C pillar, go down to the boot and tuck it under the carpet along to the A pillar and then do what you have to do to hook it up to your front camera.

I certrainly wouldn't be going anywhere near a main dealer as it's labour intensive, the whole operation took me a day,  I'd have thought any reputable camera installation supplier would be able to do that much quicker. After all the Kodiaq is no different from any other VW product - I'd be asking if they've ever installed a rear camera into a VW or Audi? It's not as if they're rare ! :D

It's all straightforward, just need some decent trim removal tools and plenty of patience.

One of the sponsors on Briskoda is https://eastyorkshireretrofits.co.uk/ Perhaps they can help you out / see if they have a local installer near you that can do the work?

Edited by kodiaqsportline

On 15/04/2024 at 07:30, Yogi-Bear said:

I have Garmin webcams - they’re not paired in any way to each other, and the one I have for the rear is a small one with no screen. The only wires are for power. The app on my phone connects to both of them for config, downloading images etc.

Would you mind posting which model(s) they are? Cheers

On 15/04/2024 at 13:41, kodiaqsportline said:

Where exactly are they mounting the rear dashcam?  What sills are they talking about?

I've installed the wiring for the factory rearview camera.  Just pull off the plastic surround on the hatch, feed wires thru sleeve in to body of the car ( which is the trickiest part of the operation). With the factory rearview camera, the instructions were such I routed the cabling it as if it were installed in the factory, but if it's just a 6m cable for a 3rd party rear dashcam, if it were me I'd Just pull the trim off, feed the wire down the C pillar, go down to the boot and tuck it under the carpet along to the A pillar and then do what you have to do to hook it up to your front camera.

I certrainly wouldn't be going anywhere near a main dealer as it's labour intensive, the whole operation took me a day,  I'd have thought any reputable camera installation supplier would be able to do that much quicker. After all the Kodiaq is no different from any other VW product - I'd be asking if they've ever installed a rear camera into a VW or Audi? It's not as if they're rare ! :D

It's all straightforward, just need some decent trim removal tools and plenty of patience.

One of the sponsors on Briskoda is https://eastyorkshireretrofits.co.uk/ Perhaps they can help you out / see if they have a local installer near you that can do the work?

Hi, 

The sills I assumed they could remove and hide cable are the ones that run along the doors (front to back) which cover the ends of the carpet. These are the one the garage are saying can't be 

removed - the mainline dealers did not say yes/no to this but said they would drop the headlining.  

Yes I'm not going to be paying £280 to the dealers for this work - I could even by another camera for than and have it standalone from the front camera. 

Cheers 

I think people talking about dropping the headlining and removing sill covers are talking rubbish - the cables are generally that thin that those items don' need to be removed and they can usually simply be tucked under them neatly without interfering with anything else.

I've just done added a rear light under the roller blind for the boot in our Kodiaq and had no issues feeding the wires through and under various trim to get to where I needed to be.  Granted that's not to the front of the car but I've done that before to and from various points including the dashboard / centre console to the boot area on other vehicles and not had an issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

I think people talking about dropping the headlining and removing sill covers are talking rubbish - the cables are generally that thin that those items don' need to be removed and they can usually simply be tucked under them neatly without interfering with anything else.

I've just done added a rear light under the roller blind for the boot in our Kodiaq and had no issues feeding the wires through and under various trim to get to where I needed to be.  Granted that's not to the front of the car but I've done that before to and from various points including the dashboard / centre console to the boot area on other vehicles and not had an issue.

Thanks for the info.  I will go back to the local garage and ask if they can do that.  

Cheers

16 hours ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Would you mind posting which model(s) they are? Cheers

I’ve got older ones that are still going strong after 5 or so years - the 66 and original Mini. The app does all the magic of syncing & overlaying the rear image onto the front one when you export saved videos. In my old bear, I ran a USB cable all the way from the rear through the boot and under the bottom of the door trims on the left side, and the front one down the windscreen trim, hardwiring them both into the fuse box. With the USB port in the mirror on the facelift bear, I just use that and the 12v socket in the boot.

• Like 2

On 04/04/2024 at 11:09, thedavegray said:

Hi, 

I recently had a dashcam fitted to my 2024 Kodiaq.  The kit was front and read and the garage 

did the front without issues but did not tackle the back as they could not see how to route the 

cable. They said they could not see any way of getting the sills off as they all seemed in one piece.  

I said I would seek advice on here and go back to them 🤞

Has anyone on here routed a cable from the front to the rear and were there any issues/tips I can pass on? 

Thanks 

Yes, I have done this (though not on a Kodiaq). My advice is to route your cables low, and then you won't have to worry about the dashcam cable fouling the side curtain airbags which fire down from the headlining over the windows.

image.thumb.jpeg.4d02e8489939eab9e54cf96e418e4ada.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

Yes, I have done this (though not on a Kodiaq). My advice is to route your cables low, and then you won't have to worry about the dashcam cable fouling the side curtain airbags which fire down from the headlining over the windows.

Would you just try to tuck under carpets etc, rather than trying to lift the cills? 

20 hours ago, skomaz said:

I think people talking about dropping the headlining and removing sill covers are talking rubbish

Do you? I think your standards are pretty low. :D  

I can't speak for anyone elses Kodiaq but the build quality on mine is such you need some force to edge the trim away from the carpet which means that even if you could get a cable under it ( it would have to be bell wire size )  there's a good chance of it being pinched. Besides, if it's a half decent camera, the cabling will be shielded so can't see it being thin.  ( it would need to be shielded if it's running alongside existing car wiring ).

21 hours ago, thedavegray said:

Hi, 

The sills I assumed they could remove and hide cable are the ones that run along the doors (front to back) which cover the ends of the carpet. These are the one the garage are saying can't be 

removed - the mainline dealers did not say yes/no to this but said they would drop the headlining. 

OMG.  If it is the door sill trims they're talking about then they're either complete idiots or what's  more likely, they're fobbing you off. Of course they can be removed, it'd be a pretty stupid design if they couldn't !  Take a look at your seat belt. If there was an issue with your seatblet, how could the mechanics  access it without removing that plastic trim ?  🤪    It just pops out. in fact it's easier to remove the trim than what skomaz suggested by tucking a cable under it.

Most VW products are pretty much the same: 

Mk7 Golf sill trim removal

Edit:   Many folk complain about VW products but this is one area where you can see where the money goes. You can normally remove this trim panels many times without any sign of wear and tear. I installed a dashcam on a Toyota we bought last year and whereas they have a reputation for reliability, you ain't going to remove those panels many times - the plastics they use are cheap and nasty. Yes, it's very, very easy to tuck cabling under trim on a Toyota. FFS, some of the panels are held in place with plastic nut and bolts !   Remove the panels and you can see why Japanese cars are generally more reliable in the way the car is constructed, but the plastic trim itself 😲  Give me a VW product anyday.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 2

On 18/04/2024 at 09:59, thedavegray said:

Would you just try to tuck under carpets etc, rather than trying to lift the cills? 

I tucked it under the plastic trim that covers the edge of the carpets. Can't say it was a great job, but as it was formerly in the headlining, I was just happy to get it well away from the curtain airbags.

• Like 1

My Skoda main dealer retrofitted the reversing camera, and they lifted the plastic sill covers with ease. They’re largely held in place by the rubber door seals, I’m not sure what all the fuss is about…

• Like 1