Stop start button intermittently not working.

2018 year. I’ve checked the battery in the key, it’s ok. Sometimes the car just does nothing when pressing the button. Occasionally when switching off, but more often switching on. 
Also, today the engine was turning over but not firing up. This happened three times. After getting in contact with RAC it just started with no issue. 
we are on holiday, so worried about getting stranded! 

That's possibly two different things - stop/start button I assume you mean "ignition" button to turn the electrics on and then start the engine, as in turning the key to two different positions in the days of keyblades doing this (or do you mean the stop/start that cuts the engine out when stationary to save fuel and cut emissions?).

Button could be the button needs replacing or if you're the slightest handy perhaps pop it out and clean an lubricate the bottom and its wire connections, might solve it or make it last longer, use WD-40 if nothing better is to hand, easily available in shops too as they've saturated the market.

Another even easier and important check - that the car battery post terminal clamps are both clean and secure, grab one at a time by hand if you can move them (unless you're very strong) then it needs nipping (tightening) up.  Same for the main cable and wires and connectors (including earths) clean, secure and protected.

If there's a decent garage nearby (some mat still exist(?)) then get them to check the state of charge of the battery, if low you need to recharge and/or not use convenience electrics like a/c, heated anything, heavy use plug-ins, motorised stuff on the car (little as possible for safety items).

RAC will be the first to sell you one of their expensive batteries whether you really need it (rather than proper charging) or not (unless you have their battery cover).

the start / stop buttons do die sometimes, my Superb had its replaced a year or so ago. Not spectacularly expensive., of the order of €35 for the part and an hour or so fitting IIRC.

Personally I'd check the car battery clamps and state of charge, that's just driver maintenance anyway, clean and lubricate the existing button and its connections and order a new button for quick delivery to keep my wife happy - that's my 30+ years experience of using over-priced and over-valued old cars called "classics" as dallies and for holidays and more.  Despite what some say I always found genuine period Lucas electrics to be great with some still working after 50+ years, unlike the modern VW stuff it would seem.

2 hours ago, Teir said:

The button is dying, replace it. You can buy it online and do it yourself in 10 minutes.

This ^^^^^. It's a common fault and an easy fix. 

On 05/04/2024 at 17:28, Janr said:

2018 year. I’ve checked the battery in the key, it’s ok. Sometimes the car just does nothing when pressing the button. Occasionally when switching off, but more often switching on. 
Also, today the engine was turning over but not firing up. This happened three times. After getting in contact with RAC it just started with no issue. 
we are on holiday, so worried about getting stranded! 

This sounds really stupid, but next time it happens, try pressing the dead centre of the stop/start button.

My car started suffering from this, garage couldn;t replicate the issue when the looked at it therefore wouldn't sanction a replacement under warranty. It was the service desk who told me this and it's always worked for me.

As per above, it's a cheap fix to replace the button, but never bothered now that I know to press the dead centre of the button.

• Like 1

In car manufacturing costs including parts, were worked out to decimal places of penny/cent/whatever, with the use of Chinese manufacturing who knows how many places after the point - rather opposite to the approach of directors wages/renumerations/bonuses.  😄

Then of course quality testing and assurance might have changed, I remember being told on a club visit to Jaguar (West Bromwich?) how they'd introduced just-in-time-deliveries and were going for the (IIRC?) Omega 6 standard that the Japanese manufacturers had use for years (?6 faults/failures per million?).  Wonder if they ever got that. 😆

49 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I remember being told on a club visit to Jaguar (West Bromwich?) how they'd introduced just-in-time-deliveries and were going for the (IIRC?) Omega 6 standard that the Japanese manufacturers had use for years (?6 faults/failures per million?).  Wonder if they ever got that. 😆

Given JLR's continued reputation and regular positioning in reliability surveys, I'm going to go for: no. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

In car manufacturing costs including parts, were worked out to decimal places of penny/cent/whatever, with the use of Chinese manufacturing who knows how many places after the point - rather opposite to the approach of directors wages/renumerations/bonuses.  😄

Then of course quality testing and assurance might have changed, I remember being told on a club visit to Jaguar (West Bromwich?) how they'd introduced just-in-time-deliveries and were going for the (IIRC?) Omega 6 standard that the Japanese manufacturers had use for years (?6 faults/failures per million?).  Wonder if they ever got that. 😆

I think you mean 6 Sigma and it's 3.4 defects per million...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

I think you mean 6 Sigma and it's 3.4 defects per million...

My memory isn't the best but I'm almost sure the Jag chap said 6 per million - but then no one would expect an old British/English car company, particularly if was owned by an American company as I think it was at the time, to get to Japanese standards or even pretend to. 😃

Just in time, wot could possibly go wrong. 😄

Back to subject -

I think given the latest info I would try just pressing the button dead centre and telling everyone else to do the same as probably replacements would be the same - nice quick, easy, no cost, clean hands fix too.