Variable Servicing - Are 2023 Scala oil servicing set to this by default?!

Skoda_martin

Hi All,

We have a 2023 Scala with very low mileage.  14 months old and only 2,000 miles. 

(Fortunately long drives mixed in with short journeys.)

However, I got a 'oil change' message come up recently.

On investigation, the dashboard info on 'servicing'' shows the below info:

Inspection in 17,900mi or 245 days.

Oil Change Service in 10,900mi or 19 days.

Do I just go by the 'Oil change by 10,900mi' and not worry about the 19 days???

I'd happily get a service done this summer, like I did with my Mk5 Golf, so if any issues / Breakdowns, at least the weather will be warm then if waiting on the roadside for the RAC man etc. 

Hope you can advise.

Regards

Martin

PS:

I had the same issues with our old M5 golf - The dashboard always got the variable servicing reminders wrong / early.  Software Gremlins.  In the end, had the car serviced every 2 years, even though low mileage, so the car was at least inspected periodically as well, on top of the MOT etc.

PPS:

I'm always nervous of getting servicing done by a new, unknown to me, garage - and potentially introducing new issues from having a perfectly running car worked on.  This will be our 1st service on the Scala, done by a Skoda main dealer.  Our Golf was serviced for over 15yrs by our trusted local small garage.  I was not impressed with the VW main dealer servicing when the car was new.

17 minutes ago, Skoda_martin said:

On investigation, the dashboard info on 'servicing'' shows the below info:

Inspection in 17,900mi or 245 days.

Oil Change Service in 10,900mi or 19 days.

Do I just go by the 'Oil change by 10,900mi' and not worry about the 19 days???

Which ever is first. eg. 19 days not 10 900 miles.

It would be better for your car to be on fixed servicing with the mileage you do, within 19 days.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 4

The Cars leave the Factory on Variable / Flexible Service Intervals and in a 'In Transit' setting.

18,000 -20,000 miles / 24 months.

At the PDI there are places that re-set the Service Regime to Fixed Service Intervals. 9,400 miles.  372 days (365 days now with some).

Some mess up the Oil Change Service & the Inspection miles / time, mess up various things.   There is no just 'Inspection' due at a time different from what in the UK 

is now called 'Oil & Inspection Services'.    @ 1 year or miles if Fixed,  or first @ 2 Years & Miles if Variable.

Low annual miles is the owners choice if they want the Servicing changed, the supplying dealership should ask and not just do.

Fixed Regime.

129607785_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.e5229dcb612737356407d637c2a22678.jpg

1039190636_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_36.jpg.994d2b104123865330d493df0f73629e.jpg.e8abce273b5ba4bcda1e39b36ffdf7b0.jpg

1025295341_Screenshot2021-09-29at07_53_17.jpg.f3e4a6dc63cb89105f9b1ac440bb1614.jpg.a491d4f193e1b2959998ba4ad86435d3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for both sides of view on this guys.

Hell, I will stick with plan "a" and get it serviced in the summer - may even get up to 2,500 miles by then! 🤣

Really love the car, it is perfect for what we do, but it mostly sits on the driveway.

Had the Golf for 20 years on variable servicing - The car was fine for what we do as well.... The Scala is just better! 😄

Best wishes

Martin

Cam belt at 50k miles I think this has been changed dramatically according to VAG, way over 100k

Seems unusual to get oil change at 15 months when below the mileage limit.

@Ootohere is usually the expert commentator about fixed or variable, so might be able to explain the 15 months for low mileage option.

It looks that someone co-cked up at the PDI resetting the Factory Variable Servicing interval of 18,000 - 20,000 miles / 24 months to Fixed 9,400 miles /372 days and leaving an Inspection at 24 months / 20,000 miles.   They should have been set to be at the same time.

(If the customer was asked what they wanted, changed to Fixed or left on Variable.  With only 2,000 miles fixed is correct IMO.)

The question is how long before hand over was the PDI actually done, was it more than a week or 2 before the OP got the car.?

I'm sure that on variable service setting, the ECU is continually assessing the "remaining time/miles to service", the miles bit is easy, the time bit gets calculated from "engine use and oil temperatures" so that many short journeys "knock down" the remaining days more than just calendar days.

My wife's old 2002 VW Polo, while it was outside warranty and still on variable servicing used to give out a service reminder after roughly 19 months, the way she used that car - though I was changing the oil every 12 months, and eventually changing the servicing to "fixed". 

So it looks like your exceedingly frequent use on very short journeys has prompted that "early" service warning, which, if I was you, I'd be taking on board and get the car serviced ASAP, and probably get the service scheduling changed to fixed.

• Like 1