Dealership “health check”

My car is currently in the dealers for work and they’ve sent me a health check email. 

It states the oil is 75% filled and needs filled urgently. 

I check the oil on my car nearly every day and have never let it go much under the top of the lattice on the dipstick. I keep oil in the boot in case it needs topped up on occasion. 

the low oil pressure light has never came on on any car I’ve owned. 

It’s too late to call them tonight so what are they on about??? 

IMG_0476.jpeg

Personally I would reject both. If you are confident of the level it could be a scam on both counts. I would not go to a dealer for a tyre and you can already have oil.

75% is too round a number to be credible in my opinion.

• Confused 2

Easy. 

@gm73 Are you checking the oil at the normal operating temperature or were they.   A professional driver v a technician / fitter ?

Cold it might be at the top of the cross hatch.

Parked on the flat at the normal operating temperature and checked after a few minutes it might look as low on the cross hatch. 

So where is it when checked correctly?  & where is it dipped cold and no engine started?

Many have issues with 1.5 TSI ACT,s and oil level.

Maybe because right from an oil change they are low and not checked correctly. 

w960_3927-184.webp.73915a6fb37a94533c81297546c60f1f.webp

8CFCA627-99C5-49CB-8B92-A9E4B118ACD7.jpeg.aff33411b2364c2a79a21c568d3c82a6.jpeg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

75% full would not even show on the dipstick, dealer BS101 once again, press Shift and : together for the scam invoice line that brings in £15.99 at 100% gross profit.

• Like 1
  • Groan 2

@J.R.   If the oil refill after a filter and oil change is 4 litres the oil does show on the dipstick if only 3 litres in.

RTFM. 'Simply clever'.  beware of typo,s though.

With a 3.6 litre oil capacity 1.4 TSI / TFSI the oil could be 1.3 litres low and not even the Low Oil Level Light or message come on.

Maybe the Low OIl Pressure light would when cornering or accelerating. 

*The oil would be on the bottom orange blob or the flat below the cross hatch area.*

I put 3.9 / 4 litres in the Twinchargers at oil changes as that was what many techs knew was correct.

As for the 1.2 TSI,s and 2012.  Dealerships kept putting in not enough oil at services.  Went by the old quantity, never dipped hot, because cars were not taken on road tests and rechecked when back into the workshop, or parking bay. 

Area 'A' includes the flat above the Cross Hatch.  This is where many make the mistake. Crap dipsticks. 

post-86161-0-24723600-1446204577.jpg

post-86161-0-06277400-1446204589.jpg

post-86161-0-17131500-1446204596.jpg

1721482745_Screenshot2021-07-14at06_46.14(1).jpg.a894544c7d87011924fd24ca74ab5671.jpg

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Easy. 

@gm73 Are you checking the oil at the normal operating temperature or were they.   A professional driver v a technician / fitter ?

Cold it might be at the top of the cross hatch.

Parked on the flat at the normal operating temperature and checked after a few minutes it might look as low on the cross hatch. 

So where is it when checked correctly?  & where is it dipped cold and no engine started?

Many have issues with 1.5 TSI ACT,s and oil level.

Maybe because right from an oil change they are low and not checked correctly. 

w960_3927-184.webp.73915a6fb37a94533c81297546c60f1f.webp

8CFCA627-99C5-49CB-8B92-A9E4B118ACD7.jpeg.aff33411b2364c2a79a21c568d3c82a6.jpeg

I’ve always checked at operating temp on the flat. Occasionally be topped up a small amount. I checked not long before it went in today. It took a small amount to

bring it up to around 3/4 of the cross hatched area. I checked this 3 times. To be only holding 75% of oil would mean it needs at least a litre which is complete nonsense. Strangely enough a litre is what they’re asking me to pay at £15.99 for.  

• Like 1

3/4 up the cross hatch is you running the car low on oil.

Really your taxi should not not be using oil, so best run it will the full quantity. 

Then it last longer.  Does not keep getting so hot. More oil, more to heat, and it will cool as the system should cool it. 

When you have the car back, dip it cold, and then after at least 5 miles and when an indicated 90*oC. 

Normal operating temp.  Compare.      Only 1.2 44kW engines are checked cold and they have only 2.8 litres of oil in.

The top of the Cross Hatch when at 90*oC and stopped a few minutes is the correct level.

Then when it cools see where that is on the dipstick.   Not difficult.  

Then every time before starting you know where it should be on the dip stick. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 19.58.59.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rooted said:

3/4 up the cross hatch is you running the car low on oil.

Really your taxi should not not be using oil, so best run it will the full quantity. 

Then it last longer.  Does not keep getting so hot. More oil, more to heat, and it will cool as the system should cool it. 

When you have the car back, dip it cold, and then after at least 5 miles and when an indicated 90*oC. 

Normal operating temp.  Compare.      Only 1.2 44kW engines are checked cold and they have only 2.8 litres of oil in.

The top of the Cross Hatch when at 90*oC and stopped a few minutes is the correct level.

Then when it cools see where that is on the dipstick.   Not difficult.  

Then every time before starting you know where it should be on the dip stick. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 19.58.59.png

Excellent knowledge but how is the average owner supposed to know all that ? Anyway last time I checked before it went in it was up at the top. I’ve always been told it has to be somewhere on the cross hatch and it’s fine. Last time I topped it up from near bottom of the crosshatch when warm it only took about 200mls to hit the top. Now I’m beginning to think I’ve ruined this engine as it’s a bit noisy under load and at idle. Not terrible but noisier than it should be. 

Professional drivers are not normal car owners drivers imo.   But it is not only drivers that do not bother to consider oil levels.  There are people that change oil and filters several times a day or dozens a week and are not using their brains.  Taught on the job but someone taught on the job. 

Edited by Rooted

Fundamentally you are being attempting to be fleeced by the dealer.

The above is a lot of noise worrying you. When the oil is hot it expands slightly, so if it is at the full mark when cold it is ok.

Engines are not that sensitive to oil levels.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Expands almost nothing from 10 degrees C to 90 degrees C.  Try heating 4 litres of oil in a pan.     The health check noted a damaged tyre and the oil needing a top up.  Some places have 0,.5 litre as a unit.  They are charging for a litre.  Maybe a bottle of oil.     The OP has a taxi.   Use a reliable mechanic.  The car is a tool of his trade. 

There are lots of 1.5TSI ACT drivers ask on here about oil use. & never checked the oil when collecting the car new or after a service.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/456564-are-you-supposed-to-check-top-up-oil-between-services

Edited by Rooted

The infamous health  check.

I'd just say no thanks, take it home & check it yourself, tyre included. 

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 2