Assist systems not working

marineboy

Gave the car a thorough wash and wax this morning. Got back in, ignition on, warning light and message. “Front assist unavailable, sensor impaired” None of the front assist systems are working - ACC, front assist, lane assist.  Any ideas whether this is a software glitch which will clear itself eventually, or a hardware fault in either the windscreen camera or the radar sensor? Or something else?

I've had this happen in heavy rain which has obscured some/all of the sensors.  Maybe washinbg the car has washed dirt in and around the sensors, so maybe a gentle hose down paying special attention to these would clear them problem.  A garden sprayer might be the answer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carefree said:

I’ve had this, then it disappears the next time I’ve driven it.  Another VAG gremlin.

Not necessarily.  If something has been obscuring the sensors or distorting their view, this may have cleared between one journey and the next.

15 hours ago, carefree said:

I’ve had this, then it disappears the next time I’ve driven it.  Another VAG gremlin.

I thought this would be the case. Started the car this morning and no issues. I knew it was unlikely to be a sensor cleanliness issue because I’d just spent 3 hours washing it 😀

H2o / water when driving or washing cars is to be expected.

So regardless of the equipment being behind the windscreen or at the front grill being able to cope.

It is not Snow or Ice or mud or leaves / crisp packets.

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

H2o / water when driving or washing cars is to be expected.

So regardless of the equipment being behind the windscreen or at the front grill being able to cope.

It is not Snow or Ice or mud or leaves / crisp packets.

Yes, but it is stated in the handbook that in heavy rain/spray the front sensor may be deactivated and I imagine that it is possible that water droplets on the sensors might distort their operation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seasider said:

Not necessarily.  If something has been obscuring the sensors or distorting their view, this may have cleared between one journey and the next.

You are right, it could be just another VAG gremlin or it could be something like snow obscuring the sensors (I’ve had this).  My point is that is is usually temporary and nothing to worry about.

11 hours ago, carefree said:

You are right, it could be just another VAG gremlin or it could be something like snow obscuring the sensors (I’ve had this).  My point is that is is usually temporary and nothing to worry about.

Agreed.