Octavia Scout 2015 Towbar

Hi

I bought a used Octavia Scout 2015 last year that came fitted with a towbar as per the attached photo.

I'm wanting to fit a towbar mounted bike rack but not sure of the weight capacity of it. I was hoping to get a 4 bike rack but Halfords have told me that they only have a 2 bike rack listed for this car due to the weight capacity of the towbar. Anyone know if this is correct. I've tried other bike rack suppliers but can't find any info.

I'm not sure if the towbar is factory fitted from the car being new or not.

Is anyone able to identify the bar from the photo or able to help advise.

Can get more photos if needed.

Thanks

IMG_20240420_125948.jpg

It all depends on the engine. Is your car a TDI 150 or 190 (as they have different towing weights). Also as you have an aftermarket towbar (WestFalia), if you own a TDI150, it might not have had the larger radiator put onto the car (which is officially needed).

Typically 1300kgs to 1500kgs is acceptable towing weight. I think the DSG gearboxes are stronger and can pull more weight....lower figure for manuals.

14 hours ago, martwerk said:

I'm wanting to fit a towbar mounted bike rack but not sure of the weight capacity of it.

1 minute ago, varaderoguy said:

Typically 1300kgs to 1500kgs is acceptable towing weight.

Seems to me that what @martwerk needs to know is the maximum nose weight not the maximum towing weight since he wants to fit a towbar mounted bike rack not tow anything.

It's then probable that we would go with the maximum weight for bicycles on top of a roof rack on an Octavia which is 75kgs.

51 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

It all depends on the engine. Is your car a TDI 150 or 190 (as they have different towing weights). Also as you have an aftermarket towbar (WestFalia), if you own a TDI150, it might not have had the larger radiator put onto the car (which is officially needed).

Typically 1300kgs to 1500kgs is acceptable towing weight. I think the DSG gearboxes are stronger and can pull more weight....lower figure for manuals.

I'm not sure if its 150 or 190, how do I tell? 😐

I'm also not sure if that westfalia towball cap is original and indicates its a wesfalia tow hitch or not. Will I be able to tell somewhere else on it?

I'm not intending towing, just wanting to mount a 4 bike, bike rack, if poss.

1 hour ago, martwerk said:

m not sure if its 150 or 190, how do I tell?

It will be on the V5 registration form.

I'm also not sure if that westfalia towball cap is original and indicates its a wesfalia tow hitch or not. Will I be able to tell somewhere else on it?

There should be markings on the toe ball. If it's a genuine VAG part there will be a VAG part number on it. Otherwise it will be a third party installation.

I'm not intending towing, just wanting to mount a 4 bike, bike rack, if poss.

Just go with the weight of the rack plus two bikes. If it exceeds 75kgs then it will probably be too much. More to do with the vertical damping and suspension ability more than anything else.

Looking at various websites the Westfalia towbars for the Octavia 3 all seem to have a 85kg max noseweight.