2015 mk3 Scout - intermittent starting problem

Hi,

I've have this Octavia for the last 6 or so years.

Current mileage: 170k+ (might be 172 or 175 I can't remember lol)

Have had the alternator refurbished and battery replaced in the last few years.

Serviced every year with oil, oil filter, and fuel filter always changed.

For the last year or so it's had random starting problems (a hard start every few weeks), it's always started but sometimes it will turn over a few too many times and seem like it won't start, and then it does.

More recently it's happening now (like once a week, instead of every few weeks). On the most recent occurance it turned over maybe 10 plus times, then started and a small amount of smoke came from the exhaust.

The dash also displays "start stop system unavailable" or "lane guidence unavailable".

I read about dashcams causing battery problems and I installed one a few months ago, it's not hardwired, but stays constantly plugged into the USB port and only powers up when the car is switched on.

I wondering if there's anything I can do / try / test before going to my mechanic.

I've also attached a read out from car diagnostics that I had a friend just do.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20240426-080029.png

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, ords said:

What engine?

2.0 TDI 150 hp

Will update post

Edit: seems I can't update the original post

Edited by smokinmonkey

OK I totally under estimated the mileage. 178k

Also just bought the DPF app and it's showing 73.8g of ash and 92% full.

Could this be causing the issues I've described?

Screenshot_20240426-114956.png

All the calculated figures are fantasy and can even be reset to zero without even touching the DPF.

The measured soot value compared to the calculated should give you some clue, that and the low DPF differential pressure 188 miles after a regen suggest all is still well with the DPF.

It strikes me that there are two possibilities here.

1) state of the battery. Not enough Ah or CCA capacity in the battery will cause starting problems.

2) distance the car travels. If you are using the cat for short journeys, then please take the vehicle on a long and fast journey and allow the car to do a full regen. You can also get the car to do a forced regen to zero out the soot levels if needed.

Yes, glow plugs will start failing after 100k miles and need replacing (all 4 at a time ideally)

Any chance of a full code scan as opposed to a partial scan?