Battery replacement - DIY?

Hi, I had a flat battery, RAC came and told me battery health is 40% and needs replacing. They also quoted £300 for a new one so I said I will get it somewhere else. For now, car starts and stops and I have left it running for half an hour or so. 

Halford are quoting around £200 for agm battery fitted. 

Current battery is 69AH,EFB and has lasted 6 years. I can get this EFB battery delivered and was wondering it's easy to replace it myself without needing any coding or lose radio etc as I am not changing battery type? 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el700/

Thanks for reading my msg. 

Hello, there will be no issue with infotainment coding when replacing the battery. You do need to adapt (code) the new battery into the vehicles system - especially if you change from EFB to AGM type.

You may be ok if only replacing exactly like for like - but it is always better to get the replacement battery adapted, this will require access to VCDS tool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

You may be ok if only replacing exactly like for like - but it is always better to get the replacement battery adapted, this will require access to VCDS tool

You can also do it in ODBELEVEN too. The battery needs to be coded in (unless your car is an early MK3 with no stop/start).

Thanks for your replies. I do have auto start stop. My old battery was dead for a week while I was away and after it was recharged by RAC, I got couple of error messages on dash. But once I drive round the clock messages disappeared so I was thinking of swapping by myself with sane type rather than changing to AGM. 

I don't know if it's worth taking the risk as some messages on the forum say you must "tell" the car it had new battery while others say no issues. I don't have any VCDS equipment and nor can find anyone near me on the owners list. 

Decisions, decisions.. 

Yes, you do need to tell the car it has a new battery. Where are you based? I'm sure there is somebody near you with the appropriate kit.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

Yes, you do need to tell the car it has a new battery. Where are you based? I'm sure there is somebody near you with the appropriate kit.

Thanks. I am in NW London and the only London forum users with the kit are on opposite side across London. 

14 minutes ago, xyz321 said:

Thanks. I am in NW London and the only London forum users with the kit are on opposite side across London. 

How about users in Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, xyz321 said:

Suggest you put out a shout on the VCDS thread asking for peeps who can assist in London and Home Counties areas.

• Like 2