Tow Bar Module and Parking Sensors Help

Hello - I have a removable swan neck towbar (probably factory sitted) but my parking sensors do not work at all and my car says park assist not available.

So i took off the inside trim to check the module on the left wheel arch and found this

image.png.26fd765f0ce41ee39d006b08ecf493d0.png

A search says its the tow bar module - so is this the reason my park assist is not working?  Shall I replace it with a new module?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Why do you think that module is causing issues with your park assist? The exterior certainly looks in good condition...

Have you had the car scanned for error codes yet? It could be as simple as a sensor has failed or even even the buzzer.

Hi thanks for the reply,

Yes, on the vcds it says Park steer assist status cannot be reached 0100.  So no cons with the module but 69 trailer status OK 0000

Any ideas?

30 minutes ago, steve533 said:

Park steer assist status cannot be reached 0100.  So no cons with the module but 69 trailer status OK 0000

Any ideas?

Find the park assist module and check the fuse(s) that power it and connections to it.

I have posted a pic of the park assist module (well thats where the park assist module should be) but a search says its a tow bar module.

When you have the genuine towbar installed, there are two parts to this. Firstly is the preparation stage. This fits modules (like the towbar module) to the car and adds in all the wiring to the loom to make towing a reality. The second part is the fitting of the tow bar and the coding to make this happen. What happens (and what I think has happened here) is that only the first stage has been done. You need to have the second stage performed by a Skoda dealer to complete the installation. The towbar module itself won't stop the park assist system (and in fact it's there to assist with the park assist system) but if your park assist system is not working then it's either going to be a wiring issue or a coding issue.

2 hours ago, steve533 said:

I have posted a pic of the park assist module (well thats where the park assist module should be) but a search says its a tow bar module.

Left field thought - is the towbar module mounted on top of the part assist module?

Hello - thanks for the help, PetrolDave - unfortunalty not only on there......

@varaderoguy  

Look like you are correct as i cant see any other reason,  if i plug a boot switch camera in willit bypass the parking module and work?  Or does it have to work with the park assist?  Bloody cars.

No...a rear parking camera is connected to the back of the MIB system. The MIB system ties in the camera and the Park Assist system.

Thanks - I will order one and give it a try.  I am not sure why its bothering me so much as I have had plenty of cars without sensors,  I thinks its because they should be working.

9 hours ago, steve533 said:

Thanks - I will order one and give it a try.

Replacing the tow bar module is very unlikely to help. You will also need to recode and parameterise the replacement module after fitting.

17 hours ago, steve533 said:

I think you're looking in the wrong place, the workshop manual states it's near the brake pedal:

image.png.651a2a6a3df7dfae84a3d7582b9752f7.png

I'll say it again - get the car on some proper diagnostic equipment and see why it's not working rather than guessing.

By randomly replacing parts you're just going to make the diagnosis harder...

• Like 2
  • Crying 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well bought the recomended carmera - plugged it in - nothing.  Checked camera module enabled with vcds and it is.  Thats me completly out of ideas now.

6 minutes ago, steve533 said:

Well bought the recomended carmera - plugged it in - nothing.  Checked camera module enabled with vcds and it is.  Thats me completly out of ideas now.

Basic camera with composite video that just plugs into the MIB, or high spec camera with a CAN interface module that shows moving guidelines?