2019 Superb 4x4 272 - maybe not 🙄

Posted (edited)

Folks

I'm finding myself wanting a bit more room in the boot than I currently have in the GTI.  So I've a Superb, or possibly an Octavia estate on my shopping list.  Petrol and DSG only.

I'm probably going to look at this one tomorrow:

https://www.station-garages.co.uk/used-cars/17868764-skoda-superb-2.0-tsi-272ps-4-x4-sport-line-plus-dsg-hatch/

I'm familiar with the need to check the 'full' service history, particularly around the drivetrain.  But I'd be interested in any views or comments, good or bad, or if I've missed anything glaring in the ad.  I've already checked the MOT history.

Thanks

Gaz

Edited by Gaz

What's not to like? Great colour, heated front screen and looks like Canton, which is ok despite all the negative comment I have seen. I had a 19 reg L&I 272 so can speak from experience. DCC makes it less floaty. They are smooth and quick. 32-34 MPG in summer and 40 Mpg if driven at legal limits on the motorway. You are aware of usual service requirements. Check the black plastic sunroof surround roof panel for cracks. Mine cracked and had to be replaced  under warranty cost around £1000. The front discs look a bit lipped, they are not particularly  cheap to replace. Check the coolant expansion bottle water level..mine dropped several times, I gave up trying to get the dealer to investigate beyond filling it up repeatedly, even though it was under warranty!  Hopefully this example is flawless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Never Raced or Rallied.  Well not offroad maybe.

Service History.  Proper Haldex service , 2022.  Spark Plugs replaced. 2023 or 2024?

All sorted now. Advisories.  No chips on windscreen.  Invoices / Receipts.

Tyres, match in pairs. 

Skoda Approved. So is all servicing to the Manufacturers Guidelines, Recommendations, Schedule or Specification.

Brake Fluid changed 2022 & 2024 would be by that, but at least once should be expected. 

(First at 3 years then each 2).   It is Skoda UK that shows this stuff.

Has the AC been Serviced as they advise customers too? 

Screenshot 2024-05-03 8.11.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-03 8.11.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-03 8.12.18 PM.png

Edited by Ootohere
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both 👍

I thought the headlamp aim fail was curious and wondered if it had been set/set itself to continental driving and perhaps not reset.

The misting shock advisory wouldn't usually concern me, but DCC presumably means it's a fair cost when it comes to needing to be fixed.  Tyres and tracking might be discussion points - I'll pay attention.

My 2018 GTI looks to be worth around £15k as a trader.  Similar cars on Autotrader are advertised in the £19.5k to £21k range.

Gaz

• Like 1

@Gaz  Remind the Sales Executive or tell them i suggested they remind their Dealers Principal that a Skoda Approved Used Car sells at a premium.

So if Service items have been missed at 3 years or 4 years they should be costing it in to their preparation costs so that the Warranty is actually valid as per the terms on Servicing.

No way at a 6 year service should the new owner be having to cough up for missed and overdue servicing.

A look at the Air Filter might give an indication if the service has included it being checked, even if the ridiculous interval is supposed to be at 6 years.

If they want all the money, then a fair profit is expected, but not just punting a car that looks good but needs consumables replaced and some more expensive parts.

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg.21c56214570b3b8eaaead2f264478d06.jpg.bf84bf33f7d3b0dbd4f6411d634d6c36.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gaz said:

Folks

I'm finding myself wanting a bit more room in the boot than I currently have in the GTI.  So I've a Superb, or possibly an Octavia estate on my shopping list.  Petrol and DSG only.

I'm probably going to look at this one tomorrow:

https://www.station-garages.co.uk/used-cars/17868764-skoda-superb-2.0-tsi-272ps-4-x4-sport-line-plus-dsg-hatch/

I'm familiar with the need to check the 'full' service history, particularly around the drivetrain.  But I'd be interested in any views or comments, good or bad, or if I've missed anything glaring in the ad.  I've already checked the MOT history.

Thanks

Gaz

I was having this exact same debate 12 months ago. I might have gone for a Superb but I really wanted an estate and could only find hatches within budget at the time.  I ended up with a 2019 Octavia VRS 245 estate and couldn’t be happier. Huge amounts of space, really nice to drive, quick but not blisteringly so (remap pending this summer), 45 MPG on a steady run (I have averaged 36 in 12 months) and a great looking car. Certainly worth considering. 

• Like 1

My previous car was a 2015 Octavia vRS estate, mapped (Revo stage 1) to just north of 300bhp.  It went well as a 220, but the extra oomph was quite noticeable :nod:   I certainly wouldn't count another vRS out, but I'm leaning towards the creature comforts of a Superb (my first Skoda was a Mk1 Superb).  I've also never owned a 4WD car before - that's a want, rather than a need :blush

Gaz

• Like 1

Car sold yesterday 🙄

..... the search continues

G

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My previous car was a 2015 Octavia vRS estate, mapped (Revo stage 1) to just north of 300bhp.  It went well as a 220, but the extra oomph was quite noticeable :nod:   I certainly wouldn't count another vRS out, but I'm leaning towards the creature comforts of a Superb (my first Skoda was a Mk1 Superb).  I've also never owned a 4WD car before - that's a want, rather than a need :blush

Gaz

Fair. I also considered the Golf R estate for exactly that reason. Ultimately, it was that bit smaller than the Octavia and I would have been much more worried about it getting nicked as well as significantly higher insurance premiums!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Car sold yesterday 🙄

..... the search continues

G

Still live on the website. That's pretty slow of them. 😞 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hilly81 said:

Fair. I also considered the Golf R estate for exactly that reason. Ultimately, it was that bit smaller than the Octavia and I would have been much more worried about it getting nicked as well as significantly higher insurance premiums!

The Golf R is a strong scally-magnet. I know someone near me who had one and he had three different attempts to steal if off his drive. (His was also an estate)

He loved the car but got rid of it eventually as he couldn't be doing with the aggro.

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I've driven quite a few 'R's and they don't do it for me.  Dunno why really, especially if I'm looking at a 272/280.

The garage that sold the Dragon Green one have just taken another DG Superb in as a part x.  This one's a 2018 280, so I popped over to take a look:

IMG_9368.thumb.jpeg.90ec9f066b10b079f0f3ef2de42c0c6b.jpeg

19k miles, FSH inc. haldex (2021), brake fluid twice, plugs.  Pair of obscure tyres on the front, original (I presume) Pirelli's on the rear.  Wheels have minor kerb damage and whiteworm, pin dent in OSF door, minor paint scuff on the OSR quarter leading edge.  Both rear discs a tad grubby, pads good.  Hasn't got a reversing camera - that surprised me.  Standard CC, not ACC.  Drove very nice, needs a service.  TPMS went off while I was out, for both NS tyres.  They'll do the service, wheels, PDR and paint.  But they want £23k for it, which seems a bit strong to me.  Offered me £16k for the GTI. 

I'm undecided about it.

Gaz

Edit: Just did a free valuation of the GTI on AutoTrader - £17,600.  Mine's also got heated leather, sunroof, ACC, Virtual Cockpit, full LED lighting, and 34k miles so any adjustment would probably go up.  Autotrader similarly have this 280 at £18,430!

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've driven quite a few 'R's and they don't do it for me.  Dunno why really, especially if I'm looking at a 272/280.

The garage that sold the Dragon Green one have just taken another DG Superb in as a part x.  This one's a 2018 280, so I popped over to take a look:

IMG_9368.thumb.jpeg.90ec9f066b10b079f0f3ef2de42c0c6b.jpeg

19k miles, FSH inc. haldex (2021), brake fluid twice, plugs.  Pair of obscure tyres on the front, original (I presume) Pirelli's on the rear.  Wheels have minor kerb damage and whiteworm, pin dent in OSF door, minor paint scuff on the OSR quarter leading edge.  Both rear discs a tad grubby, pads good.  Hasn't got a reversing camera - that surprised me.  Standard CC, not ACC.  Drove very nice, needs a service.  TPMS went off while I was out, for both NS tyres.  They'll do the service, wheels, PDR and paint.  But they want £23k for it, which seems a bit strong to me.  Offered me £16k for the GTI. 

I'm undecided about it.

Gaz

Edit: Just did a free valuation of the GTI on AutoTrader - £17,600.  Mine's also got heated leather, sunroof, ACC, Virtual Cockpit, full LED lighting, and 34k miles so any adjustment would probably go up.  Autotrader similarly have this 280 at £18,430!

What a shame as the other one  which sold was loaded with all the best extras.  Stick with it @Gaz there will be a decent one.  Having owned a Stage 1 VRS and 245 GTI,  I know the 272/280 are more spacious, relaxing to drive and will easily beat them away from a standing start. The FWD cars simply can't put their power down. However, the slight downside is that the  272  and I think the older 280 have less torque. Easily solved by a stage 1  map and the DSG box will handle the extra load. I think the 280 has a 6 speed DSG, vs the 7 speed in the 272. If you can get a 18/19 reg I think they were under £40K for the cheaper road tax

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Likely there will be plenty of the same coming back into the Dealerships / Used Motor Trade and ones that end up in Non Skoda Main Dealerships might be better (Cheaper) priced than ones that are 'Skoda Approved Used Cars. 

Maybe into the next quarter of the year is worth waiting for. 

Or to the end of it.  

People getting their next Lease Vehicles. 

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 19:47, Redboy said:

What a shame as the other one  which sold was loaded with all the best extras.  Stick with it @Gaz there will be a decent one.  Having owned a Stage 1 VRS and 245 GTI,  I know the 272/280 are more spacious, relaxing to drive and will easily beat them away from a standing start. The FWD cars simply can't put their power down. However, the slight downside is that the  272  and I think the older 280 have less torque. Easily solved by a stage 1  map and the DSG box will handle the extra load. I think the 280 has a 6 speed DSG, vs the 7 speed in the 272. If you can get a 18/19 reg I think they were under £40K for the cheaper road tax

Do you know which is the version with port injection and which is direct injection only, as that would be a decision factor for me?

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 19:47, Redboy said:

... I think the 280 has a 6 speed DSG

The 2018 one certainly had a six speed DSG.

Previous MOTs mention a child seat, which probably accounts for the rubbed paint on the rear quarter edge.  July 2023 MOT mentions the front tyres, which clearly haven't been changed as they get a further mention on 30 April 2024 as being at 2.8mm (so would presumably be changed under the 'minimum 3mm' of the Skoda Approved Used scheme).  I could tell the tyres had had it on the test drive - a quick check suggests they're made by the Shandong Haohua Tyre Co.  The paint was tired, probably not needing correction, but certainly a good going over with a DA MOP.

I'm a bit conflicted tbh.  Poor (IMO) tyre choice and needing a bloody good clean tells me it probably wasn't a loved car.  But 19k miles and a good history doesn't put it past redemption.

I've also realised that for the cost of changing, I could keep the GTI, and buy a good Mk2 Superb for less money - WaveyDavey's one for sale on here piqued my interest there.

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

Do you know which is the version with port injection and which is direct injection only, as that would be a decision factor for me?

Interested too :nod:

Gaz

• Like 1

Well, for a grand more than the 2018 one, there's this just along the coast:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404188797499?sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&make=Skoda&model=Superb&postcode=BN213UU&transmission=Automatic&fromsra

It's certainly got potential.  I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Gaz

• Like 1

@Gaz nice colour and the newer digital dash and heated steering wheel. I had a friend use the latest OBDII to change mine to VRS style dials which had a carbon effect, perhaps it's already got that layout. Just a test drive and visual check to do then... 

21 hours ago, Gaz said:

Well, for a grand more than the 2018 one, there's this just along the coast:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404188797499?sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&make=Skoda&model=Superb&postcode=BN213UU&transmission=Automatic&fromsra

It's certainly got potential.  I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Gaz

Nice spec! How did you get on, @Gaz?

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

Nice spec! How did you get on, @Gaz?

Only just back - the bloody A27 is a dreadful road 🤬 When I put the postcode in my satnav, it said I'd get there at 2:45pm, but I got there at 3:15pm.  Arundel and Chichester were the usual bottlenecks 🙄

Well I liked it.  Both front wheels have been kerbed, minor stone chip on the roof above the rear view mirror, but it's only gone down to the white undercoat, not the tin, and that's about it.  Two new tyres on the rear (Sunny make), front's at 6mm.  DCC was on normal for the road test.  I'm guessing having the DQ381 seven speed might make it feel a little less torquey than the six speed 280?

I find it odd the lack of a reversing camera.  The sensors were going bananas when I was a good three feet away from anything.

Minor but:  It's obviously on long life, because it has a Skoda first service in 2022 and then nothing until this garage got it.  They've serviced it and change the haldex fluid.  When I asked about the gauze/filter, their mechanic told me there wasn't one, and then started waffling about some 'aftermarket' kit...... blah blah, I stopped listening.  They'll do the wheels, but won't budge on price, offering me £16k for the GTI.  I didn't commit to buying it.

I saw a Petrol Blue L&K up in north Wales for £21k last night, but the Autotrader ad seems to have gone, so I'm guessing I was too slow.

Gaz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Only just back - the bloody A27 is a dreadful road 🤬 When I put the postcode in my satnav, it said I'd get there at 2:45pm, but I got there at 3:15pm.  Arundel and Chichester were the usual bottlenecks 🙄

Well I liked it.  Both front wheels have been kerbed, minor stone chip on the roof above the rear view mirror, but it's only gone down to the white undercoat, not the tin, and that's about it.  Two new tyres on the rear (Sunny make), front's at 6mm.  DCC was on normal for the road test.  I'm guessing having the DQ381 seven speed might make it feel a little less torquey than the six speed 280?

I find it odd the lack of a reversing camera.  The sensors were going bananas when I was a good three feet away from anything.

Minor but:  It's obviously on long life, because it has a Skoda first service in 2022 and then nothing until this garage got it.  They've serviced it and change the haldex fluid.  When I asked about the gauze/filter, their mechanic told me there wasn't one, and then started waffling about some 'aftermarket' kit...... blah blah, I stopped listening.  They'll do the wheels, but won't budge on price, offering me £16k for the GTI.  I didn't commit to buying it.

I saw a Petrol Blue L&K up in north Wales for £21k last night, but the Autotrader ad seems to have gone, so I'm guessing I was too slow.

Gaz

I wouldn't let the lack of a reversing camera put you off, that's easy enough to retrofit.

Let us know what you decide. 👍

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Don't need three cars.

Yeah you do...   Two dailies and a toy...

• Love it! 1