Brake fluid level on Min. Top up or take to garage ASAP?

Ok, I've owned the car for 2 months, checked mot history and it's never failed a mot and came with a fresh 12 moths mot. 

Never had any issues with the brakes and don't feel anything untoward. Last night the brake fluid level warning flashed up for a second then dissapeaered.

Checked the levels and its just on the min line. Would you suggest I just top it up or would you go straight to a garage to have it looked at.

I've noticed no leak patches were I park each day either.

2011 MK2 vrs auto dsg diesel

43 minutes ago, scouserjay said:

suggest I just top it up

with fluid from a new small can. Dispose of any unused fluid.

• Thanks 1

You can top up but unless you have a leak likely the pads are quite worn and when they are replaced you will likely need to remove fluid from reservoir.  I'd suggest checking brake pads as they may need attention.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I say never top up, always establish why. Brake fluid level drops due to a leak or pad/disc wear and nothing else unless it was incorrectly set in the past.

• Like 1

That's the problem I had, only had the car 2 months. Fresh 12 month mot came with it. Had the pads checks an was fine, no leak patches were I park so topped up and will check it regularly going forward. Never had any issues with and untoward feeling from brakes 

1 hour ago, Crasher said:

I say never top up, always establish why. Brake fluid level drops due to a leak or pad/disc wear and nothing else unless it was incorrectly set in the past.

Correct and even with the brake pads worn to the limit on all 4 corners the fluid would not drop to the minimum level unless it was not properly filled before.

The only time I check my fluid level by removing the cap is after fitting new pads all round when I make sure it is close to the MAX line, its also the occasion to verify the correct action of the low fluid sensor.

• Like 1

As brake fluid is pretty unpleasant stuff, if it's leaking, I'd want to know where the leak is and get it sorted fast.

If nothing else, you will confirm that there isn't a leak.

If there isn't a leak, such a low brake fluid level may suggest it's never been changed, so it's worth getting that sorted too, as it's supposed to be changed every 4 years.

Do the VRS brakes share the same bathwater as the clutch like other models?

Might be worth looking for leakage from the slave cylinder and bleed block AKA Clutch Peak Torque Limiter, it will be from the bottom of the bellhousing if a concentric clutch.