Skip to content

Which suspension parts can contribute to brake judder?

Featured Replies

Hi,

I get a judder on moderate to hard braking from higher speeds (such as on motorway slip road). Discs look clean and are not particularly worn and there is plenty of material on the pads. No calipers are sticking either. The car has done over 150k miles however so suspect it might be worn suspension components (for example I understand BMWs can be very sensitive to wear on some control arms which can cause them to judder under braking). Which (if any) suspension parts on the Superb are known to cause judder under braking?

Can you feel it through the steering wheel or just the car/pedal shuddering?

I had a judder since owning my car. Couldn’t feel it through steering wheel but was more noticeable under ACC braking. Which pointed to the rear brakes. I changed discs and pads and it cured it. Nothing visibly wrong with the brake components but a very small amount of runout on the discs is magnified through the car when braking.

  • Author

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It is primarily in the body of the car, which as you suggest indicates it's the rear brakes or suspension. Will investigate further.

Suspension is more likely to be all the time. If under hard braking it’s likely to be brakes. Discs and pads sorted it for me.

Could be control arms, I remember changing to AP Racing 6 pots on the front of my M5 as I thought this would cure it but turned out it was bushes for the control arms..

Live and learn but least it stopped quicker

Front control arms but no feeling through the steering wheel? That would be annoying as I'd definitely go for the rear first port of call.

Had same on old volvo 940. One of the rear pistons was sticking at a certain point but not seized. New caliper and discs/pads and back to normal. Volvo had two pistons one each side of disc so when braking only one was working and pulling it out of alignment. Not sure on the superb but if a brake shoe is seized in its carrier it will do the same as well as a seized slider pin/pins. Reckon it needs wheels off and check the pads and slider pins plus check there is no drastic run out on discs

Alasdair

  • 2 weeks later...

Well my strange brake judder has returned. New pads and discs didn’t solve it. But it goes away for about 200 miles then comes back again. It went away previously when removing and replacing the wheel. And came back after a similar time. I wonder if it something with jacking up the car and the suspension settling. I’ll check wheel bolt torque first then try jacking it up again

I’ve it 2 superbs and they both have this issue… bloody annoying

  • 5 months later...

Have really similar case, does any one have managed to solve this issue?

Was just pads/discs replacement (both front/back) ? Or anything else underlying?
@Sko101 @Binx1310 @MrRich

Hi

11 minutes ago, sis11 said:

Have really similar case, does any one have managed to solve this issue?

Was just pads/discs replacement (both front/back) ? Or anything else underlying?
@Sko101 @Binx1310 @MrRich

yes I had the issue, I changed all 4 disks and pads with brembos now it’s all ok

I was the same. Changing back discs and pads didn’t cure it but fronts did. All brembo parts used.

Remember to clean and lubricant the slider pins. This should be the proper ate grease for the fronts. Not copper slip.

Do you have any references which exactly model/type disks you used for replacement?

21 hours ago, sis11 said:

Do you have any references which exactly model/type disks you used for replacement?

If you have a 280bhp you have 340mm vented front discs, 310mm rear vented discs.

Every other model, be it petrol, diesel, FWD or AWD will have 312mm vented front discs, 300m sold rear discs.

Most motor factors are hit and miss despite claiming to confirm the make/model/trim you have; so make sure you check the size is correct.

BTW, if you're just going to for plain discs, I highly recommend the ATE Ceramic pads as they are very low dust. I've read they leave a film on the disc and the pad then grips that rather than friction on the surface of the disc. No idea if that's true but the results spoke for themselves with me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.