What Speakers

Nigel26

Sorted. Thanks Rob. Think I may look for a way of sealing the air gap that's now appeared with something' date=' but a huge improvement.

[/quote']

Ah, the air gap's all good... :D

Maybe adjusting your system to have a bit of frontwards bias would fix the issue of them overloading?

Rob.

Ah' date=' the air gap's all good... :D

Maybe adjusting your system to have a bit of frontwards bias would fix the issue of them overloading?

Rob.[/quote']

If the airgap's good why do all speakers in cabinets either have sealed enclosures, or ones with ports well away from the cone? I don't expect it's having that much of an effect really. The breakup may be coming from a last residual bit of interference with the grille - I may not have lowered them as much as yours. Still almost perfect tho. You can only hear it with your head up close to them now, not from the driver's seat.

If the airgap's good why do all speakers in cabinets either have sealed enclosures, or ones with ports well away from the cone?

How can they be sealed enclosures - wouldn't that create a vacuum when the cone moved outwards, and cause it to distort? Besides which, most cabinets are acoustically designed and muffled, not bits of plastic clipped onto a vibrating metal shell - so the airgap will reduce interference from the ambient vibrations, and also prevent the cone resonating the side shelf... :D

Rob.

Ahem, as I was saying - the Pioneer TS-G1316 - a good budget alternative to the standard speakers. Rather bright sound but reasonable range. Seems to break up a little at really low frequencies (and no, Geoff, we're not talking anything esoteric or really high volumes here, just some old-fashioned bass guitar). :goodvibes

I posted a review here - maybe other owners of these speakers would care to pop along and add their 2p worth ...? :coder:

The cones are nowhere near the grilles on my RS, either we have a difference in trim, or Pioneer have reduced the cone sizes...

It's the silver raised centre cone which clips the grille...and it usually has to be shifting a bit to do it... :)

Rob.

It's the silver raised centre cone which clips the grille...and it usually has to be shifting a bit to do it... :)

Rob.

On mine it was the soft "hinge" between the cone and the frame (the black bit), which protrudes up above the level of the fixing surface by 3 or 4 mm. The little silver cone is way down in the well of the speaker by comparison.

On mine it was the soft "hinge" between the cone and the frame (the black bit), which protrudes up above the level of the fixing surface by 3 or 4 mm. The little silver cone is way down in the well of the speaker by comparison.

Yes, actually, you're right, this was it...was thinking of something else with the raised bit... :rolleyes:

Rob.

Rob.

Ahhh...you mean "in operation" so to speak...probably why i've never noticed a problem, i don't push the speakers hard enough for it to be an issue.

Might have a play sometime this week :)

I'll find some nice plastic or rubber spacers, nuts / washers are so common, don't you agree ? :p

Cheers

Ahhh...you mean "in operation" so to speak...probably why i've never noticed a problem' date=' i don't push the speakers hard enough for it to be an issue.

[/quote']

Well, they don't need pushing all *that* hard, but probably louder than the sort of volumes you'd be looking to have a conversation over... :)

I'll find some nice plastic or rubber spacers, nuts / washers are so common, don't you agree ? :p

Don't make me he-bitch man-slap you... :p

Rob.

• 6 years later...

sorry to bring an old thread up but im looking soon to change the speakers in my 2001 oct vrs

am i right then in saying the fronts are 16.5cm?

and rears 13cm?

ant....

Yes. 16cms in front.

And if you are looking for sound quality don't bother with rear speakers.

Front component speakers by Rainbow, Morel, Focal, CDT, JL Audio or Hertz are a good place to start.

To get the best out of your new speakers don't forget to sound-deaden the doors.

New speakers will only greatly improve the sound if you fit an amp. to drive them; the head-unit won't be able to cope.

lol ...i just dont want speakers that rattle when you turn them more than one notch on the headunit not a full on comp install ..

i had all the amp/speakers/sub in my last car and dont wana be ripping out doors/interior to do it all again ?....just after some half decent speakers pal

i had infinity in my last car .....theres a recession on you know !Lol

i havent got £300 for a set of speakers/amp? .....