Octavia Brakes

The time has come where i need new brakes all round,well especially disc's.

They haven't done to bad as they have covered 86K miles.

So i have tried searching for details on here but nothing specific comes up.

So do i go for a big brake upgrade on the front and standard on the rear?

Can you get a disc upgrade and use the existing calipers?

Or whats the best standard size discs and pads to go for.

any pointers appreciated.

Just get some grooved discs and some Ferredo DS2500...oh and upgrade the fluid to DOT.4.1+...feel will be improved and fade much reduced.

Blackdiamond grooved as supposed to be fairly good...I have some EBC grooved discs which I got fom Sejoc.....I think they did the grroves themselves or had someone do them....they don't do this anymore though.

Discs will cost you in the region of

If you have been reosnably happy with your present brakes then a big upgrade probably isnt essential, New brakes will feel better than your tired ones anyway and Adrians posts spells out a simple upgrade that you should really feel the benefit of although he might have meant 5.1 fluid, thats the way I would go.

You can use bigger dia discs with the same calliper, you just need someone to make up some new carriers.

If you are starting to look at big brake kits have a chat with Ian Godney at Godspeed, he will build whatever you want, he built my fronts which are 335x32 Discs with AP 4 pot callipers which I ran for about 2 years with the std rear set up before upgrading the rears & it was fine. He has since managed to fit 335x32 Discs with AP 6 pot callipers behind stock Octy RS wheels.

My set up was £1100 3 years ago so as you can see its big bucks.

As Adrian has said the Brembo 4 pots as fitted to the Cupra etc will bolt straight on & are a good comprimise.

Be careful when comparing brakes. The AP 4 pot has pads about 15% larger than the Brembo so whilst both are 4 pots the AP has "bigger hands" grabbing the disc.

Ferrodo DS2500 pads IMO are the way to go, EBC are pants if you drive really hard.

Lastly & obviously run them in !! There is a thread somewhere on running in pads & also details will probably be with the pads

Stuart

Forgot to say I've just changed the front but has the DS2500 all round.

I believe Chris (Ellis) knows how well my car brakes...especially when he was trying to catch me up in the Basingstoke ring road and then having to brake and not hit me before the round about;)

So what discs then?

who makes the best grooved/cross-drilled discs for the Octy then?

Ian Godney can make any sized disc you want if you are going for the bigger stuff. If you are keeping std sized discs then off the shelf upgrades will be the most economical way to go.

The more holes & grooves you put in a disc the more brake rumble you will get when used gently. I had drilled & straight grooved on my Impreza & they rumbled very badly.

Out of choice I have ended up with grooves only & these are curved when you view the side of the disc but these are bespoke Godspeed ones when you can have whatever pattern you want.

I had EBC discs once on the Impreza and they were pants like the pads although that was 4 years ago

TaviaRS is a good guy to talk to, his old Octy RS gained a reputation as a giant killer on the tracks & he was still using std size discs & callipers, I know he ran DS2500 & DS3000 pads with 5.1 fluid but not sure what discs. DS3000 are race pads, fantastic once warm BUT kick off really nasty dust that will eat the laquer on your wheels so to be avoided

Apparently cross drilled discs are prone to cracking around the holes.

I've found with the combo I have the feel has improved markedly as has the reduction in fade...even with standard fluid. The definately pulls up a lot quicker.

I also find that in wet condition you don't get that feeling on no brakes when braking....due to the water film on the disc being drained off by the grooves...I guess.

Well i was going to go for cross-drilled as they are standard fitment on all Porsches so there must be a good reson for it.

As much as i would like to upgrade to larger brakes,the amount of use the car gets they have still got to be suitable for general road use.

i think i will just have to get some discs and the DS2500 pads allround.

Do any of you have Braided Hoses fitted?

i had them fitted to all my old cars and they made alot of difference,should a fit them to the Octy at the same time?

Well i was going to go for cross-drilled as they are standard fitment on all Porsches so there must be a good reson for it.

As much as i would like to upgrade to larger brakes' date='the amount of use the car gets they have still got to be suitable for general road use.

i think i will just have to get some discs and the DS2500 pads allround.

Do any of you have Braided Hoses fitted?

i had them fitted to all my old cars and they made alot of difference,should a fit them to the Octy at the same time?[/quote']

I think if the holes are cast as opposed to drilled makes a difference and perhaps that what Porsche do???

I know a few members here who have had drilled discs have had the cracking....so to speak.:rolleyes:

Your right they do still crack!!!!

But only after really hard use.

Have found the Bembo Discs which are crossdrilled,i guess they are forged at £228 for the fronts,not looked at the rears.

Is it worth the extra money when Black Diamond and Tarox are cheaper?

want to get them ordered today if possible so its decision time!!!!

Alex - Have you got a vRS or just a regular 1.8T?

Adrain - FYI the Cupra Brembo setup is now around £1k so not the bargain it used to be.

Stuart - You mention you upgraded your rear brakes, what to? Also have you changed your master cylinder at all? I'm just curious as to how well the standard one would work with 6 pots as you have 10 more pots to fill than standard which is quite a bit more fluid to move.

i have a 2003 vRS.

On the Octy vRS the fronts are 312mm and the rears are 256mm. These are not the same as most Golf Mk4 GTI's which are 288mm fronts and 232mm solid (vRS is vented) at the rear, only the 180bhp Golf Mk4 GTI's have the same brake setup as the vRS.

HTH