Car insurance to rise...

Dr Zoidberg

Storm in a tea cup this.

Young drivers have always been hit by higher premiums. When I first started a cheap 850 Mini was what most of us had. These days young lads drive high powered cars, thats why they get stung and why there are more uninsured drivers. I know this sounds draconian , but stop whinging about the costs or get a lower group car!! Get a faster/more powerful car when you can afford it!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do insurance evaders care? Absolutely nothing.Same as every other criminal in the country.Honest people are penalised due to soft attitude to these criminals.

Agree with Tom.Lock them up.Stop moaning about overcrowded prisons.Every crime is serious and this just as much.Build more prisons and stop wasting cash on IVF for Lesbians.

Sorry.Just sick of petty criminals doing better than honest people who pay their way and the government concentrating on wacky stuff.

Storm in a tea cup this.

Young drivers have always been hit by higher premiums. When I first started a cheap 850 Mini was what most of us had. These days young lads drive high powered cars' date=' thats why they get stung and why there are more uninsured drivers. I know this sounds draconian , but stop whinging about the costs or get a lower group car!! Get a faster/more powerful car when you can afford it!![/quote']

I know.......... the youth of today...... dont know how lucky they are...... in my day we had 1.0 Novas

Storm in a tea cup this.

Young drivers have always been hit by higher premiums. When I first started a cheap 850 Mini was what most of us had. These days young lads drive high powered cars' date=' thats why they get stung and why there are more uninsured drivers. I know this sounds draconian , but stop whinging about the costs or get a lower group car!! Get a faster/more powerful car when you can afford it!![/quote']

They do certainly seem to have higher expectations.

My first car was a 1 litre fiat panda in group 1 , but a lot of young drivers wouldn't be seen dead in something like that.

Still , even the most basic of cars like a Ka in group 2 now cost a lot to ensure

This sytem would be abused by people. The sort of scummers that remove their rear lights to claim compensation would blled such a system dry.

It doesn't necessarily follow that there would be an increase in the number of claims , and there could be a minimum threshold of a few hundred quid for claims involving untraced drivers to stopppy petty exploitation.

Plus , a lot of drivers don't stop after an accident as they have no insurance. With everyone being covered there is less incentive to run

Also what about the possibility of people forming a co-operative whereby you all pay into a fund and then self insure. Ok so you would need a lot of people' date=' but you get the idea.[/quote']

Thats called an insurance company :D

It doesn't necessarily follow that there would be an increase in the number of claims ' date=' and there could be a minimum threshold of a few hundred quid for claims involving untraced drivers to stopppy petty exploitation.

Plus , a lot of drivers don't stop after an accident as they have no insurance. With everyone being covered there is less incentive to run[/quote']

Well yes, but if they purosely get hit knowing they will get a pay out.. you know what i'm saying :)

Thats called an insurance company :D

Yep, but being a co-operative we wouldn't have to pay our shareholders to keep them happy :)

cheezemonkhai[/b]]Also what about the possibility of people forming a co-operative whereby you all pay into a fund and then self insure. Ok so you would need a lot of people' date=' but you get the idea.

[/quote']

A Briskoda co-operative! :thumbup:

Storm in a tea cup this.

You saying this is fair enough, but when i was 17, i wanted to get on the road, i bought a 1 litre Nissan Micra, G reg, (as per all the insurance companies i spoke to, the cheapest car to insure.) It was still early

The problem is I'm 26 and the mythical it will come down at 25 never happened!

My insurance is about £1000 a year for a bleeding Octy TDI' date=' I mean it's not exactly a quick car. I was paying far ore than the insurance paid out per year when some scrote wrote my car off.

I wouldn't drive without insurance, but it seems to me very obvious why some people do. Rather than putting prices up for everyone else, these uninsured drivers need to be convinced that either a) they need to get insurance or B) if you can't afford the car plus extras you can't drive.[/quote']

im 23 4ncb and pay £660 on a fabia VRS.....yours should be far less than mine at the age you are.

Maybe they have it on record that you payed out for the righting off of your car?

I payed £1200 3rd party for insurance for a 1.1 G reg fiesta when I started driving and the car cost me £400:eek: I know the cost of the car is somewhat irrelevant to the cost of the insurance at that age(and at such a low cost of car). I don't think it has anything to do with young drivers driving powerful cars as the majority definitly do not, some do but you notice these more than the others as they stick out like a sore thumb.

I say it's another scam to make more money, maybe not but it feels like that.

I do feel sorry for young drivers now but then again they do get payed more in the jobs they have so in proportion they probably pay the same as what I did 6 years ago.I'm not sure really.

I've never had what I class as stupid insurance premiums. I bought my first car brand new ( a 1.2 16v Corsa) and it came with 2 years free insurance. I reckon this more than offset the loss I made by buying a new car and the depreciation. When I came to insure the car myself, the company offered to double my ncd from 2 years to 4 years if I stayed with them! I don't think I've ever paid more than £600 for insurance. Since the Corsa I've had a 2.0 Focus and now the Fab vRS. Admittedly I've been lucky and haven't had any fault claims, so this definitely helps keep the premium down. I wouldn't say that I live in a particularly low crime-rate area, but its not too bad. I feel sorry for anyone that lives in London or Manchester though! The further away you are from a big urban conurbation, the less you pay for insurance! At 21 I could insure a Porsche Boxster S (not that I could afford one though!) at my parents address in Lincolnshire for the same price as a 50 year old friend of my Dads who lives in London. He wasn't particularly impressed!

if you are complaining your insurance is high @ £492 then you need to think again. Thats cheap!

I'm not complaining that my insurance is high, because it isn't for my age and the car i'm driving. The only reason it is this cheap though is because I got the multi car discount from Direct Line, otherwise I would be paying £800 - £1000 easily

I started with a 1 ltr v plate saxo and was paying £2000 fully comp.

No-one's mentioned that payouts apparently comprise 40% to lawyers re compensation claims. As such claims have caught on LOL, why not have a standard payout system like the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, so that a lot of claims could be settled routinely?

Also, what about insurers including/administering that element? I'm sure that would be cheaper than court claims. It might also be cheaper cos insurers typically would try to find reasons not to pay, though if the lawyer route could be retained in an appeal format.

I've nothing against lawyers BTW; and there'll always be areas for litigation to keep food on their tables.

Regards

Mo

My car is group 6, I insure it on TPFT for 20k miles a year, have 1 yrs NCB and learnt to drive the day before my 18th birthday (now 20). My job is a 'low risk occupation' apparantly, so my premiums are around the £600 mark. I used to think this was expensive but judging by this thread, I should count myself lucky!

Roll on the lease car and company blanket insurance. :)

another reason for the insurance rise maybe related to motability customers , it seems when one of these customers has brain fade and puts the incorrect fuel in their car , they claim off the insurance to have the fuel tank drained and any replacement parts fitted i.e. catalyst on a petrol car if diesel contaminated , i think they do pay the excess on the claim though:(

My car is group 6, I insure it on TPFT for 20k miles a year, have 1 yrs NCB and learnt to drive the day before my 18th birthday (now 20). My job is a 'low risk occupation' apparantly, so my premiums are around the

another reason for the insurance rise maybe related to motability customers , it seems when one of these customers has brain fade and puts the incorrect fuel in their car , they claim off the insurance to have the fuel tank drained and any replacement parts fitted i.e. catalyst on a petrol car if diesel contaminated , i think they do pay the excess on the claim though:(

Nope , that'll make next to no difference to the cost of your premium.

Personal injury claims and the stupid lawyers fees make up the bulk of the cost.

When I had someone hit the back of my car there was no doubt as to liability , but the solicitors letters were going backwards and forwards for months arguing over how much my uninsured losses were. The difference between what I was after and what they were offering was only about

Over two years ago some d!ck in a XR2 hit the back of my car on the way to work. We exchanged details after I refused his offer to settle in cash (I was driving a company car so couldn't agree to cash). The car was quickly repaired and I thought that was the end of it.

Twelve months later I get a letter from our company's insurers stating that the other driver is claiming he wasn't involved. Sent back a statement with all the details I could remember.

Six months later I get another letter asking for more details - pretty difficult to remember after 18 months.:confused:

Three months later I get a letter from a firm of solicitors who have now taken on the case and I've had to provide all the info again.

That was five months ago and now it looks like I'm going to have to go to court over this:mad:

These sort of idiots are also probably helping to drive up the cost of premiums.

my first car was a 1.4 vw polo which i bout 2 yrs ago and the insurance qwas 1400 third party.a year later i then changed jobs and bought a 1.9tdi octy and the insurance was 1400 fully comp and now this year its 900 fully comp. so your insurance isnt to bad. A bad thing about living in northern ireland i guess