Seatcupra.net down?

spyke85

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried accessing it from work on Friday night/Saturday morning early hours and there was a hacker message on the screen. The site admins have pulled it offline now I believe.

Shame these hackers don't put their skills to better use, they might actually end up making something of their lives....

Sorry guys, its really frustrating, but the issues presenting us this weekend are mainly as a result of the poor support we've received from the hosting company. Our access to the server has been severely limited due to the inability of the hosts to keep their end online.

The skeleton support team they must have on this weekend, are struggling in actually undertaking our basic needs, and making things ten times harder for us to achieve even the simplest of goals, which was at the very least to try and get the forums back online today.

Sadly it is looking less and less likely we'll achieve this today as myself and Martyn have been hard at it since this morning and been totally frustrated by the poor support we've received. Needless to say, we will be looking for a new host in the near future, because we, let alone everyone who uses SCN, want to go through this weekend again in a hurry.

However we hope things will move on at a pace tomorrow during normal working week hours, but as all of us work fulltime during the day, any progress will probably be limited to tomorrow evening now at the earliest.

Again my sincere apologies to everyone who uses SCN, including its sponsors, we are as frustrated as you right now. But bear with us, it will be back soon.

In the meantime if you want updates or have any questions, i can be contacted on my personal email address, dont use the scn one cause i wont get it.

zboydmark[at]mac[dot]com

Looking on the brightside, at least SEAT won this weekend. :)

• Administrators

Ross,

Already trying to ask the questions, but were always open, or try to be.

Biggest problem is they were hacked...there server is offline totally, thus no easy way to communicate to the members.

I'm also interested in the actions behind this situation for reasons I will not discuss here.

Yup, should be a lot easier tomorrow, just seems the weekend emergency support isn't as good as you think it might be. But you only find these things out when something goes wrong.

Martyn is our webdev guy, everything to do with the server is looked after by Martyn, I wouldn't know where to begin, and really thats our only weakness, that we rely on Martyn a great deal when we have real problems like this. Sadly Martyn was away Friday and Saturday, just bad luck that he wasn't available to help us.

Unfortunately when they struck on Friday night, it was during a scheduled maintenance window the hosts had set, to move our server to a new rack, now its purely our opinion, but its a bloody big coincidence that around the time the server rack was moved, we suddenly got hacked.

SCN had never been hacked until Friday night, thats 5 plus years. Now it had to happen at some stage, were not totally complacent, popular sites will get hit, its a fact of life, and there does seem to be a big influx of turkish and russian hackers attacking the internet now.

As Martyn wasn't able to get to a PC to secure the server, he asked me to contact the hosts directly, and ask them to pull the plug, until he could get back in front of his PC, (today) and sort the problem. They did this for us, Saturday morning.

The main reason we took this course of action was for security, because they could of dumped a script on the server that sends out spam, and as we don't want to be misused by these idiots, we took the decision to kill the server until it could be inspected properly.

Now this is where it got daft, today we requested at the hosts advice, to use one of their a KVMoverIP requests, basically this would allow Martyn to remotely access the server, without it being open to the internet. So we could clean it up and secure it again.

However we've had very little help today, actually getting this sorted, theire entire system seemed to crash this afternoon, and we did have open ports for about 30 mins, then it went offline again, our calls for support have gone pretty much unanswered or not returned.

So it seems they are not really geared up to give us the level of support today that we require. Now thats fair enough if they tell you that, but they have strung us along all day, thinking they were doing something, when in fact they've done sod all.

So thats where we stand at the moment, but i expect things will be a lot easier during office hours tomorrow, and we can get back on track.

I can give you all a cautious, 'its looking good' so far. We have server access now.

www.seatcupra.net, has a little message left by Martyn, no forums as yet, if all goes to plan should start to come together today/evening.

Martyn and the rest of us have to fit this in around our full time jobs, but hopefully with no further hiccups with the server. it should be back online later.

Thanks Colin for allowing us to camp out in your backyard :)

They've done a bit of hatchet job on the server, and Martyn is a bit concerned it may have gone deeper into the root, so for the sake of security, were requesting a full reinstall by the hosts. So we will unfortunately be down for another night at least.

It maybe fine as it is, but we simply don't want to risk it, and it gives us a little more piece of mind.

Apologies to everyone, and thanks for the support in the meantime. But rest assured it will be returning soon, and we do have backups, thats aimed at the doubters btw.

Sorry folks we tried for today we really did, but its just not worth it, if we get taken down again.

They've done a bit of hatchet job on the server, and Martyn is a bit concerned it may have gone deeper into the root, so for the sake of security, were requesting a full reinstall by the hosts. So we will unfortunately be down for another night at least.

It maybe fine as it is, but we simply don't want to risk it, and it gives us a little more piece of mind.

Apologies to everyone, and thanks for the support in the meantime. But rest assured it will be returning soon, and we do have backups, thats aimed at the doubters btw.

Sorry folks we tried for today we really did, but its just not worth it, if we get taken down again.

Good choice.. better safe than sorry. :thumbup:

Twoz a mare last time Brisky was compromised.. rootkit was installed and the box was being used for hosting/encoding video files. we didnt know until mrD got a nice message from the host estimating a rather hefty chunk of bandwith.

Also Z.. feel free to link to this thread on the holding page, should maybe stop you getting a bazilliion email messages from annoyed/concerned/addicted SCN'ers :)