Bikers

Robshaw

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJH - what car(s) do you have now??

I really wasn't expecting this reaction from so many people...

It will always happen Rob, stereotypes, pre-conceptions and the odd personal experience will always come over on any thread where bikes are mentioned on a car forum, and equally so, go mention cars in certain sections of Visordown for example.

I do, as someone else mentioned, find it strange that most of us on here drive skoda's, then go ahead stereotyping others, cars owners or bike riders.

I have been biting my lip whilst viewing this thread for some time now ;)

Now lets concentrate more on the reason why my vrs has a heated rear window ..... to keep the wifes hands warm whilst she pushes it :D

It will always happen Rob, stereotypes, pre-conceptions and the odd personal experience will always come over on any thread where bikes are mentioned on a car forum, and equally so, go mention cars in certain sections of Visordown for example.

I do, as someone else mentioned, find it strange that most of us on here drive skoda's, then go ahead stereotyping others, cars owners or bike riders.

I have been biting my lip whilst viewing this thread for some time now ;)

Now lets concentrate more on the reason why my vrs has a heated rear window ..... to keep the wifes hands warm whilst she pushes it :D

I knew you wouldn't / couldn't keep away for long!

I think everyone is a stereotype.... i think if we were all the same we would all really dull and have to talk about why we have heated rear windonws :rofl: :rofl:

Very very true mate, visordown can be really bad for this kind of thing. I usually just go on to view the stuff for sale and wanted nowadays.

Put your handbag away.

So if any bikers were ever embarrased by a purple R33 Skyline GTR near Rye I can tell you it was me, and the car had over 600BHP and 4WD so I could go round corners that you slow down for without even noticing them!!

JJH

600BHP? Does this mean that you could chirp it in 2nd? And, did you have a really loud stereo as well?

Lance

Thought so by the above comment, which as it happens is nonsense.

&

JJH,

As someone who has been riding bikes since the age of 10 (some 40 odd years now) raced them, done several 100 thousand miles on them as a motorcycle courier alone... with the greatest of respect son, you really don't have a clue what you are talking about !

No offence ! :thumbup:

I disagree, if you can explain exactly how looking out of a letterbox can make your visual awareness better I'd love to know? I hate wearing helmets when racing for this reason alone, however I wouldn't be silly enough not to wear one.

You're a brave guy! I wouldnt insult someone to their face unless i knew them well enough to know how they would react. Insulting someone like that is called "Picking a fight". Unless you know that you can beat up the guy you are insulting, then its called "Being a bully"

FWIW, I dont go round 'picking fights' with bikers or anyone for that matter, I meant I wouldn't be worried about having a bit of banter and calling a biker a power ranger, I also find it hard to believe someone would get so upset about being called a power ranger?

Would that be plain black ones? Nowadays the majority of leathers have got more than one colour in them, plus the fact that all black leathers are supposedly harder too see. Brighter leathers safer than plain black???

Fair enough, maybe they do have some safety benefits, I still reserve the right to call them names as they still look silly! It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day and if someones that bothered about a bit of childish name calling and banter (which is what it is) then they should just go home and lock themselves away from the world!

Ok then i'm not saying all car divers are ch@vs, just the ones who modify the exterior of their cars in any way.

I fully agree, I've never modified the exterior appearance of any of my cars in any way, If modifying the power output/handling characteristics makes me a ch@v then so be it, I'll pop down the market and buy the finest replica burberrys hat I can find!

Yup, done the same with a guy who was the Plutoline something champion in about '97 or '98, he was in a Scooby, i was on an '90 FZR 600. We both had a good old chat, a laugh and enjoyed our run.

Which is what it's all about at the end of the day, all the bikers I've ever stopped and talked to have been spot on, up for a laugh and generaly top blokes, none have been offended when I rib them about looking like a power ranger or a gimp, I've admired their bikes (which contrary to how I might come across, I do actually like bikes, I just couldn't trust myself on one) and they've admired my car, we're all petrol heads at the end of the day.

What bothers me most about bikers is the fact that they nearly all think they are the fastest thing on the roads bar none, and they simply aren't, especially around corners, that attitude gives them the 'It doesn't matter whats behind me attitude' because they think they've left it all behind, which gives rise to the lack of awareness issue, I might be 2 inches from their back tyre trying to overtake, but they dont know i'm there because they cant see or hear whats going on around them, and they dont use there mirrors.

R33 GTR Skyline with 4WD and 600BHP what did you expect? If you didnt beat 99% of the bikes on most roads with that thing you obviously weren't trying at all!

I knew this, but the bikers just assumed I was some ponce with more money than sense who didn't really know what I was driving, hence they always thought they'd 'show me up'.

JJH - what car(s) do you have now??

Mondeo ST

Supercharged Rover SD1 V8

Alfa 75 3.0V6

600BHP? Does this mean that you could chirp it in 2nd? And, did you have a really loud stereo as well?

:rolleyes:

Never been a fan of the booming car stereo, prefer to hear the sound of my engine personally, as I can spot problems by listening to it a mile off.

And if you really want to know, the Skyline would spin up all 4 wheels in 4th quite happily in the dry without ATTESA, although it wasn't something I ever did intentionally like the Mc'donalds car park boys.

The main reason I sold it was due to jelous people constantly making digs, while that didn't bother me particularly, I couldn't leave the car anywhere without some idiot scratching, kicking, or spitting on it (and it looked completely standard).

Some car drivers dont like bikers, some bikers dont like car drivers,,,,, tough world out there but in my opinion ( which is backed by several experienced riders and car drivers) that you ride aggresively in a defensive manner. Now lets see who understands that comment.......

I always thought that a biker has to let the other vehicles know there there in the view of the driver so both feel safe.

ive seen you and you have seen me, all is well.

just my 6:30 am 2p worth

spevie

By far the majority of car drivers are fine - its white van man that I tend to dislike as 99% of them deliberately pull to the white line as you're filtering just to block you getting past. I've even had fag butts flicked at me a few times.

Some car drivers dont like bikers, some bikers dont like car drivers,,,,, tough world out there but in my opinion ( which is backed by several experienced riders and car drivers) that you ride aggresively in a defensive manner. Now lets see who understands that comment.......

I always thought that a biker has to let the other vehicles know there there in the view of the driver so both feel safe.

ive seen you and you have seen me, all is well.

just my 6:30 am 2p worth

spevie

IMO you're confusing aggressive and assertive here.

Hi KenOneill, ya could be right there, wrong word but at least you knew what i meant.

There was 1 time that a chap threw his large cigar butt out his window, he didnt actually see me at the side turning right, landed right on me lap and slightly burned my wet over suite, well i was fuming and asked WTF he was doing, reply i got was "F'ck off p'ick, shouldnt be on the road". Well i never heard such filth before???.

I even had used gum spat accross my bow that landed on my lap.

Mind you there was one time i nearly sh@t myself cos there was a dog in the back seat with a window part open, loud snarling/barking dog at the window isnt nice ?????

spevie

Hi KenOneill, ya could be right there, wrong word but at least you knew what i meant.

There was 1 time that a chap threw his large cigar butt out his window, he didnt actually see me at the side turning right, landed right on me lap and slightly burned my wet over suite, well i was fuming and asked WTF he was doing, reply i got was "F'ck off p'ick, shouldnt be on the road". Well i never heard such filth before???.

I even had used gum spat accross my bow that landed on my lap.

Mind you there was one time i nearly sh@t myself cos there was a dog in the back seat with a window part open, loud snarling/barking dog at the window isnt nice ?????

spevie

When we went off to germany last year we got stuck in a bit of traffic on the bikes, there was a car with the window open with a dog in it, big ugly wrinkly faced thing, my mate steve was next to it on his sp2, it nipped . chewed / bit his shoulder so he head butted it with his shoei .......... we had a bit of commotion then and was quite fun for a while :D

I have also got a mate that lives near Colchester and he rides like a *****, constantly, so much so that if I am down that way I won't go out with him on the bikes, total disregard for any other road user and speed limits mean nothing to him and he has various devices on his bike to aid in protection from camera's......... it's not big, it's not clever and he is going to end up in a box or behind bars..

That's the sort of thing I mean: Practical example, presuming you can't just go straight past using the other lane:-

Come up fast behind me and set up in a contact position 2. I'll take that as "I'd like through", and make a bit of extra room, use being further down the road to signal you as soon as I can see it's clear, and generally try and stay out your way cos you'll be faster down the road than me.

Set up in my boot and weaving about and I'll block as much as I can safely until I can get shot of you.