Creaking suspension on Octy II

Right , hopefully this will be the end of it.

The arm on the right hand side has now been replaced as well so I should now have an entirely creak free car , though I won't know for sure till I get home.

For those that are interested , the parts are 1K0407151AA AND 1K0407152AA

I have my fingers & toes crossed :thumbup:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got things sorted - and everything crossed that it stays that way.

It sounds like the problem with mine was an isolated one - the problems you had are perhaps more common.

Either way I am enjoying my car so much more now - it behaved faultlessly on the Prague trip and is a pleasure to drive.

Lets hope you will feel that way again once you re-gain confidence with it.

Creaking is quite bad on my wife's 06 Ambiente (with 15" wheels) over the speed humps on our estate. Seems worse on cold, damp mornings but when I'm coming home (ie have already been out in the car) it doesn't seem to be an issue. Will mention it when it gets its 1st service in just over 1000 miles.

Creaking is quite bad on my wife's 06 Ambiente (with 15" wheels) over the speed humps on our estate. Seems worse on cold, damp mornings but when I'm coming home (ie have already been out in the car) it doesn't seem to be an issue. Will mention it when it gets its 1st service in just over 1000 miles.

That sounds exactly like what I had. It started at about 8 or 9k when it was only a problem on cold damp mornings. It got progressively worse until 35k miles when it would creak very loudly over humps in all weather , even when the car was warm. It would also be audible on small dips in the road.

If you try driving over a hump when you are slighty on the throttle rather than coasting is it more noticable?

Get your dealer to look at the parts I mentioned.

Dr Zoidberg,

I am very happy for you - sounds like you finally got a dealer to take a proper interest in your problem, have a real think about it and find a solution. It's just a shame it took so long to find them! I have passed on your part no.s to my dealer in the hope that it will be a cure for my creaking suspension.

The part no.s you gave are non VRS, and astonishingly my dealer said they could be fitted if I wanted!! I obviously got them to look up the right part no for my car... I have a question though, was there a particular reason why redditch skoda replaced the entire suspension arms? Is it becasue they suspected the bushes were at fault and I have heard that the bushes are sealed and cannot be replaced. The reason I ask is that the warrany people (whoever they are) that my dealer spoke to suggested that the bushes could be ordered separately!!

Any input from anyone gratefully received - car is booked in on 1 Oct.

Cheers

Olly

I think the bushes could be replaced , but they were going for the safe option and replaced the lot - they didn't want to risk it not working and me going back again.

Oh , and apparently they'd had a couple of Citroen C2s with the same fault and traced it to the suspension arms so thought they'd try the same part on my Octavia

• 4 weeks later...

Yes , *BUT* this morning it was very cold and over the first speed hump there was the faintest hint of a creak.

It's done nearly 2k since they were both replaced and I really hope this isn't a sign of the noise returning.

Did you get any luck with yours?

Yes , *BUT* this morning it was very cold and over the first speed hump there was the faintest hint of a creak.

It's done nearly 2k since they were both replaced and I really hope this isn't a sign of the noise returning.

Did you get any luck with yours?

Just been away for the last 3 weeks, got married :D

BUT getting all issue with my car sorted has now become top of my to do list :D

• 6 months later...

Mine developed a squeak from the rear recently particularly coming off speed humps. Thought it might be something in the boot; but it wasn't.

I had a Neuspeed rear ARB fitted about nine months ago and remembered that the bushes had silicone grease applied when fitted. I got the tube of grease out and it had printed on it "remember to re-grease the swaybar bushes each year".

Greased up the bushes last weekend and Lo, all is now quite! :thumbup:

Even though this is an aftermarket ARB, IMHO the process of greasing the bushes is (sadly) often neglected these days and should perhaps be a first response on any squeaking suspension, even with OEM bushes.

My 07 vRS Tfsi now makes strange noises coming down from speed bumps.

It has done 13k since new and not had a service yet, but the dealer didn't sound too bothered about me describing the noise and had never heard of it before ... hmmm.

Basically it sounds like something in the front end is loose when coming down off the bump, but only does it when accelerating. If I let it coast down there is no noise.

I'll get the dealer to look at it when it finally goes into service, but deffinately seems to be coming from the drivetrain or suspension.

edit. No Xenons on my car btw.

Any chance you could point us in the direction of where to grease, maybe a photo etc.

:thumbup:

I haven't got any photos but here is a link to Neuspeed's website;- . ..:. Neuspeed Product Details .:.. .

click into the 'how to install' for a .pdf set of instructions, with a couple of photos.

To grease the bushes, you need simply to unbolt and remove the U shaped clamps on the rear subframe, prize off the bushes (OEM or Neuspeed) and then grease the inside of the bush where it will come into contact with the ARB.

Hope that helps.

I haven't got any photos but here is a link to Neuspeed's website;- . ..:. Neuspeed Product Details .:.. .

click into the 'how to install' for a .pdf set of instructions, with a couple of photos.

:thumbup:, seems relatively simple.

Spray silicon grease may be your friend then :D

Do you think this would get into right into it, was thinking the tight rubber might prevent it.

Btw someone mentioned that the yellow on my ARB was a QC inspection paint mark. That would kinda make sense I suppose. I picked at it with my (short :rolleyes:) nails and it was coming off.

I think the spray grease would get in often enough to make a difference and fine to use at home. Taking the bushes out of everywhere else to grease them isn't easy to do for everyone.

I'll give the spray a go so, any other ideas of places where a spray might be a good idea, eg is there similiar on the front arb?

I get the odd creak from mine when I go over a speed bump (06 plate - 15k miles).... can't see what the fuss is about, it's not like you have to drive over a speed bump every 10 yards.... I'd be far more annoyed with a constant rattle from the dash, speaker or a door card

I get the odd creak from mine when I go over a speed bump (06 plate - 15k miles).... can't see what the fuss is about, it's not like you have to drive over a speed bump every 10 yards.... I'd be far more annoyed with a constant rattle from the dash, speaker or a door card

Because if its as easy as lubing then why not. Surely then on undulating backroads roads :thumbup:

Guys could the bushes be done without jacking the car up, or do you have to take the load off the wheels to remove? I was thinking I might get at them without jacking it up.