Just ordered new vRs - what to watch for ?

So I finally did it. Put down the deposit today, finance cleared and new vRS in race blue on the way. 6 to 8 weeks expected delivery. Didn't do too bad on trade in and got some flexibility on repayments too without being penalised. So now gagging for my new car.

A couple of questions :

1. What to check for when I collect it ? Anything specific that the dealer sometimes forget to do ?

2. Should I let dealer dewax and wash the car. Used be a huge detailing buff before and while I don't want to get back into that scene again as it's a waste of time with the Irish climate, I was concerned when the sales guy said they use kerosone to remove the wax and then give it a good wash. Swirl marks were the first thing that sprang to mind. I spent a small fortune in the first 3 years I had my first vRS keeping it swirl free. Would prefer to wash it every couple of weeks, wax once every 3 months, polish once/twice a year. Oh, how easy does the race blue finish which I assume is metalic pick up swirl lines ?

3. Regarding servicing. I do very low mileage though hopefully that will change. Typically 7k miles a year, and tend to get the car serviced once a year or should I wait the full 10k or whatever it is. It seems to be the short journeys I do probably put more wear on the engine then motorway driving.

4. Any known issues. So far have only read about creaking suspension when cold, and problems some people having with rattles on the back seat. My 02 rattles so much now as I gave up fixing rattles over 2 years ago, I don't think I would be that bothered.

5. Regarding ECU remap. I know this officially voids warranty, and some dealers turn a blind eye, but how soon should I wait before considering this. At least a few thousand miles ?

6. Does the Stream Radio actually play MP3's recorded onto CD or DVD or both ?

cheers

I know this sounds a bit disgraceful, but I tend not to bother my **** checking my oil until service time which is usually every 7k miles for me. Bad habit I guess.

It's the petrol...did not get any options. Didn't fancy paying 1200 euro for the Audience plus 12 speakers. I am sure the Stream is good enough. Also comes standard in Ireland with dual climatronic, centre armrest, rear elec windows. Stuff I read about was not standard on UK specs. Could have gone for the rear parking sensors but never bumped my car in 4.5 years so saw no need.

Anyway, if someone could answer some of my questions it would be great.

Looking forward to going to some of those Skoda meets in Ireland.

By the way...the dealer said 8 weeks for delivery from day of order. Seems a long time. Is that about right, or could I be getting it in early Jan. Would be a nice pressy to myself as birthday is around then :)

6-8 weeks sounds like a very good lead-time for a factory order. I placed my order last week for a vRS estate with a few extras and was quoted 12 weeks delivery. This means that it would be delivered during the latter half of February, so I got the dealer to delay delivery until the 1st March.

BTW - although the Skoda UK website suggests free 3-years servicing for cars delivered by 31 Dec, my local dealer says that this will be extended into next year, hence I also get the free servicing deal with mine.

R

Re cleaning and polishing, had my car Diamondbrite when new, andafter2 years it is still very easy to wash and comes up with a sparkle , polising is kept to a minimum so long as you wash with the conserver once a month . Do recomend from my exprience , but would not pay the full dealer price , get the stuff on line from ebay and do it yourself or a friendly valleter , for a lot less cost .

Enjoy the car ,

1. Nothing major/common that I've picked up from here. Suppose you could check wax hasn't blocked any drainage and that the protective film has been removed from the wheel centre caps :)

2. Not something I've ever worried about. Don't know about blue for swirls - black is bad as you'll know. Blue looks light enough that it shouldn't be a problem tho. Yes it's metallic.

3. Car set to variable service by default so "knows" when it's ready for it's first service. Manual advises conditions for choice between variable and fixed, but suggests you might as well run with the variable until the first service either way as you've already got the expensive oil in there.

4. Dunno.

5. I'd wait, personally. Maybe remap once you're bored, but you shouldn't be for a while because it's a good step up from a Mk 1.

6. MP3 CDs

2.0 tfsi does seem to like to keep itself well lubed

Drinks oil, eh? I better check mine then - 5000 miles and not checked yet.

This is my 5th privately owned car bought from brand new in the last 12 or so years (so I'm a sucker). Normally aspirated diesel, normally aspirated petrol, turbo diesel and turbo petrol. In that time, whenever I've checked I've *never* had to top up. I just fell out of the habit...

Thanks for the info.

Not sure if Diamondbrite is offered as a service by my dealer but I know most "autopians" into detailing frown upon it and prefer the more traditional products and routine of waxing every few months. But might give it a try if it cuts down on work. Thanks.

Will probably trust dealer to remove the wax and wash the car. From looking at the one in the showroom I could only pick up very faint swirl lines.

Dealer said he will do proper moulded mudflaps at cost price for me.

No free servicing in Ireland. already checked :(

Another thing to look out for, is if the ride is hard when you pick it up. Check they have reduced the tire pressures from transit settings to normal and that they have removed the packing pieces in the suspension springs.

It is pretty obvious if they haven't, because it is very uncomfortable.

The anticipation is unbearable.

Been a while since I had a new car.

Didn't bother with parking sensors...never bumped my car yet reversing but then again I generally try to park miles from anyone for fear of a dent.

The Xenons looked nice, but that probably would have been out of my price range considering I am financing 2/3 of the cost.

1. What to check for when I collect it ? Anything specific that the dealer sometimes forget to do ?
- Check they haven't left the Daytime Running Lights on (ie low beam is on even if the switch is turned off)

- If you have Xenons, check they have calibrated them (they wobble lots if they haven't)

- Check they have removed the suspension blocks and reset the tyre pressure

- Check how they have attached the front number plate.... My dealer stuck it on with 3 sets of sticky pads, which given the non-flat profile meant both sides came unstuck - it's now properly attached with screws (by another dealer).