New exhaust and cat rep

elisesport

I have just collected my vRS from having a new back box and a cat replacement pipe fitted. All that I can say is WOW! :D

The improvement in torque is amazing and it now sounds like it means business too!

The work was done by a local Powerflow agent who fabricated the pipes on the car, taking about 3 hours in total. The cat section can be quickly replaced when I sell the car or it needs an MOT, the lambda sensor simply screws into both cat and the replacement pipe.

Cost was

Down in the depths of Cornwall it was much easier to have it all done locally with a lifetime guarantee rather than mail order something, have it fitted and when problems arise the fitter blames the manuacturer and vice versa.

Removing the CAT will give you monster improvements. The Milltek Sports CAT and system I am waiting to fit gives + 40 lb.ft torque over a large rpm range per R/R. Should be mainly in the lower rev range particularly as the turbo will spool up much quicker.

How about asking Superchips if they will now re-tune their chip for yours , mine and Jon's as a new version for exhaust moded engines? I know the tech boss.

Chris

Down in the depths of Cornwall it was much easier to have it all done locally with a lifetime guarantee rather than mail order something, have it fitted and when problems arise the fitter blames the manuacturer and vice versa.

I was asking about this a little while ago - but the general concensus of opinion was that removing the cat would cause a CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on and the engine to go into 'limp mode' :?

Have you experienced any CELs or problems at all?

Dave

Dave,

No problems at all. The lambda sensors are still in the system so they are just sending different data to the ECU.

Crish,

Sure why don't you give him a call. To be perfectly honest unless they do something if there's anyone with an vRS wanting a superchip I would happily offload mine right now and go for the Jabbasport. I have been seriously unimpressed with their attitude to date when confronted with data challenging the claims of their website.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

How are your lambda sensors connected as you dont have a CAT anymore?

I'll have a go. Either way after changing the exhaust I think it would be worthwile getting it remapped/rechipped. I would be very interested to see what results they can get. Tend to agree unless Superchips change their aproach.

Chris

Dave,

No problems at all. The lambda sensors are still in the system so they are just sending different data to the ECU.

Crish,

Sure why don't you give him a call. To be perfectly honest unless they do something if there's anyone with an vRS wanting a superchip I would happily offload mine right now and go for the Jabbasport. I have been seriously unimpressed with their attitude to date when confronted with data challenging the claims of their website.

Cheers

Nick[/quote:928090f6bd]

Chrish,

They have tapped a socket into the cat rep pipe into which the lambda are screwed, just as they are into the cat.

Torque is now awesome, you can spin the wheels in 2nd quite easily in the dry!

Let me know how you fare with Superchumps!

Well that sounds amazing. Do Powerflow have a local agent in West Sussex who could make up the rear system like you have? It makes sense for me to use the Milltek Sports CAT now I have in the garage.

I did contact them and they are willing to check out the parameters on their RR and "if necessary" change to take account of the effect of the exhaust.

I have no doubt you are getting similiar results to the sports CAT if not more, i.e. +40lbf.ft torque. It would be interesting to see what it gives on the R/R. Any chance you might get that checked out in Cornwall as Buckingham is a long way for us both?

Chris

Chrish,

They have tapped a socket into the cat rep pipe into which the lambda are screwed, just as they are into the cat.

Torque is now awesome, you can spin the wheels in 2nd quite easily in the dry!

Let me know how you fare with Superchumps![/quote:c533ae03f7]

I spoke to Superchumps again and although the guy was a little off-hand "you've changed the exhaust so you can't really compare it now". :roll:

He did offer to put the car on their rolling road in Buckingham and see what was happening. He also suggested that I contact the garage that fitted it but, as they don't have RR, I don't see what they can do.

I know that there isn't a reliable RR anywhere in Cornwall as the Lotus Elise group that I run down here has been unable to find one. :(

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what happened to elisesport :confused:

I have tried to contact him via email to see if the car is still running OK cat-less 2-3 months on but cant get a reply.

I am getting a custom exhaust made up tomorrow by Top Gear in St Albans (i'll post pics at the weekend!) and I want to get it decatted - but not if the only other person on here who has had theirs decatted has had problems!!!

Can anyone help?

Dave