Water leak

Anyone have a problem with water leaking into the boot of there Octy? Was cleaning out the car at the weekend and noticed a wet patch on the left hand side floor of the boot. I pulled up the flap that covers the spare wheel and there was about an inch of water lying in the floor space underneath the spare wheel.

The weather here in Ireland has been shyte for the last month with high winds and a lot of heavy rain and am thinking that the rain is finding a way in somehow?

Thanks,

Chris

I've noticed that when the exterior of the car is wet, after it's been raining, if you open the hatch a lot of water runs off the side of the glass and into the boot, this hasn't been happening with yours alot has it, i wouldn't have thought so but it's a long shot.

Might be worthwhile checking that the seal is fitted properly and doing it's job as it's meant to.

If it carries on and you can't see where it's coming from i'd take it back to your dealer for them to have a proper poke about.

Hi, Had the same thing, great big puddle of clean water in the spare wheel well and under the carpet below CD changer (left side of boot) which seemed to be the entry point. Still under warranty so dealer resealed around rear light. Had no trouble since. Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Me too! had this problem with my Octy VRS when the weather was particulary bad spoke with the dealer who said that it may be coming from the seal / drain in the sunroof? due its first service and will have it checked then but no problem recently just drained it out by taking the wells rubber bungs out and dried off with towels.

• 1 year later...

Did you solve the problem? I have a similar one - 2003 model. - in mine, the water in the wheel-well is run-off from the pool that's gathering on the LHS of the boot. We've tried everything we can to narrow it down, even took off the rear bumper! It's appearing from behind a metal plate on the tailgate, below the lights. But we can't see in behind the plate to trace the source. There's no water trail from the lights, or from the rubber seal on the boot door. Hose-test was inconclusive. Side gutters drain freely when boot open. Water seeps in overnight even from a heavy dew, so it seems to be from water gathering somewhere and not being able to drain freely. Does the boot-dorr need adjusting? :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem. The water is running into the inside of the rubber seal (where it is attached to the car body). When it reaches the bottom of the seal, it runs to the side, still inside the rubber seal. There is a joint in each side, where the tailgate is welded together. I sealed these joints extra, with silicone, and the car has now been dry for 1 year.

I hope this was helpful, and readable (writing from Denmark):orb_cool:

We had this problem on my wife's 2006 MY Octavia. The dealer started with the popped off washer pipe theory even though I pointed out the washer still worked and the liquid didn't smell of washer fluid. He also tried the -you must only use VAG washer concentrate- line.

So we got it back , it rained, and I took a photo of the little puddle which had formed on the lower left corner of the sill where the seal sits. After a new seal and boot catch adjustment, it's now fine.

The dealer's obviously under pressure to reduce warranty costs; I'd spotted on their worksheets that they had tested the washer fluid for the correct degree of frost resistance. Presumably if it had failed that then I'd have been paying for all the work. It helps to speak direct to the mechanics doing the work rather than the girly on the front desk who will try and fob you off. Polite and persistent succeeded eventually.