ACCIDENT today!!!! :'(

ruku

hi, i would just like a bit of advise from you guys.

i had an accident today around 5:00pm. As i was driving along the main road the person in front slowed and indicated to pull into tescos car park, i slowed to suit the speed of the car ahead, after the car had pulled into the carpark i carried on going (around 20mph, this is on a 40mph limit road) but saw traffic a good 20+ meters away, i went to brake only for the to lock on me (i drive a 1996 P reg clio) so i tried in vain to steer out of the way, which was of no use, i ended up hitting the stationary driver. i immidietly put on my hazzards and got out to ask if the driver was ok and to asses damage. i then called 999 and got police and ambulance to come as the driver said they had hurt their neck.

i got questioned by the police and they admitted that i was 1 of about 40-50 that this is goin to happen to tonight due to the weather conditions (gettin icy) they then went on to say even thought they had been driving that car for years that they too had trouble with traction that same night due to the conditions.

on top of that the road i was on was ungritted as well as forming ice.

i was told one of 3 things may happen when the police get in touch, either:

1. i get let off

2. i get a 2 day driving program with a cost of

I'd be very suprised if anything happened so please dont worry.

They would have to prove you were driving without due care and attention to fine you and issue points, this is something they cannot do unless they have witness statements to that effect or at least alot of physical proof (as slightly cracked bumper would not consitiute this).

When i hit a stationary car i got 3 points and a £60 fine, prosecuted of careless driving. The reason being the other person reported injury. However, with it being icy I would expect a little leeway from the police especially wih it being such a low speed collision.

Problem is if it goes to court you would almost cetainly get at least 3 points and have to retake your test:(

I suspect you'll get let off, but not sure what might happen with regards to the other person, in respect of insurance. Sounds like a minimal impact, but there might be recompense due to the injured party, as you were strictly at fault for that (even if you were unaware of the road conditions deteriorating)

Not sure what else I can add really. Harsh luck. Do you have ABS, as if you get traction issues, you can usually still steer. Obviously with normal brakes you need the ability to lift off the brakes despite the obvious impending crash, and steer whilst not braking. Something I learnt on a skidpan course, but in the real thing, instinct is tough to battle.

I'd be surprised if you weren't just let off, although might be worth getting some skid pan training or advanced driving tuition to help counter a situation like this in the future.......... :D

Chris

Not that you'll have any information on where to get advanced driving tuition from............................ :rofl:

Thanks guys, unfortunatly my car (1.2 1996 clio) didnt have abs and is most likley a write off due to its age (so the insurance company say) (kinked bonet, and driver wing and driver headlight) police just contacted me and said the other driver was fine and they will just have a stiff neck and back for a few days.

I do know that you are suppose to pump the break if your car does not have abs. Unfortunatly in the circumstances and shock i just didnt think of doing it at the time.

I should hear the verdict in about 3 week, ill try and post the news.

On the upside i hope to look at a fabia next :) (not the 1.9 tdi now due to insurance :( )

IF, and I mean IF the police believe there is sufficient evidence to believe you were driving without due care and attention, then you will be given the option of going to court (option 3), or if you've never crashed before you will be offered a 2 day driver improvement course.

Given the circumstances it sounds like you will be losing your NCB and coughing up your excess... :thumbup:

Sorry to hear it mate, just put it down to experience and keep your chin up. :)

IF, and I mean IF the police believe there is sufficient evidence to believe you were driving without due care and attention, then you will be given the option of going to court (option 3), or if you've never crashed before you will be offered a 2 day driver improvement course.

That's not the case for every police force.

Anyway it's very unlikely that they would bother to charge for a minor accident like this.

The other driver may be trying it on for a personal injury claim but that doesn't matter for you. Your insurance company can sort that out. You have lost the NCB because you were at fault so it makes no difference if it's a

this happened to a mate of mine and the police alleged that he was driving a car with defective brakes and tried to throw the proverbia book at him... trouble was his car had just passed the MOT 10 minutes before he had the accident

I'd be surprised if you weren't just let off, although might be worth getting some skid pan training or advanced driving tuition to help counter a situation like this in the future.......... :D

Chris

Interestingly, doing that could just make you more dangerous! See here.

Interestingly, doing that could just make you more dangerous! See here.

This quote is misleading...

And in Britain, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) state: There is evidence that driver training courses tend to concentrate on vehicle control skills and place too little emphasis on attitudes, behaviour, risk assessment, and hazard perception skills

RoSPA offer an advanced driving course which is based around the police driver's handbook Roadcraft which emphasises these qualities over car control. In fact, car control isn't on their syllabus! Much better to avoid getting into a situation which requires car control, but I think in the OP's situation experience of a car skidding and knowing how to cope would have helped :D

Chris