Guest skodapenguin

I agree with the sunroof theory, I am beginning to think that the sunroof leaking seeps down the insides of the car and floods the footwell. It also drips on to the passenger seat which smells and then produces condensation so the windscreen gets soaking on the inside. When I wipe this, the water drips down to the bottom of the windscreen on to the foam bit at the bottom, the same foam bit you can reach from the footwell.

So I've sealed the sunroof with locktite and I'm hoping this does the trick. As I was doing this, the garage man came out and suggested that i should just have used vaseline! Too late now though but might be worth a try for someone else, I believe someone else here has found this works!

Another night of rain and again the Skud has dry floors.

I know people don't want to accept it but I'm convinced that 99.999999% of the leaks are due to the windscreen seal.

As djinn says do yourself a favor and spend half an hour with some windscreen sealer. It's worth it in the end.

Here's to dry footwells :cheers:

PS: Don't forget the FeBreeze to hide the damp smells.

yes and i agree felicia water leaks are 99.9% due to windscreen seal as i was having the same trouble the windscreen sealer stopped the leak on my car - so the mystery is now solved ( leaking windscreen rubber ) oh there is some clever folks on here :rofl:

• 5 months later...

Great advice all. Going to look into windscreen sealant as I've had exactly the same problem with the footwell filling and the fuse box sponge being soaked. I was more perplexed as it didn't seem to happen when it was sat still in rain, only when I was whizzing about through puddles and the such, so I was having a bit of a think about that passenger side indicator too.

Hopefully this should be the end of it :)

• 2 weeks later...
the wife had a leaky sunroof (manual) i just lifted it out smeared

a bit of vaselene around the rubber and hey presto a dry car

DO NOT USE VASELINE ON RUBBER!

The petroleum distilates eat rubber. You should use silicone spray oil instead for your rubber seals. I put vaseline on rubber seals in my car after reading this thread thinking it was a good idea with the leaks I have, but went away to fully research it and came back to warn you guys off it.

I have got the dreaded broken door lock on my Felicia that (Felicia 97) mentioned in passing when talking about his wet foot well. back in February. There was me thinking i was the only one with it! problem shared and all that!. How do you go about fixing it? is it simple? self explanatory with the door panel off? i have been leaning over to lock the door for 3 months now and lust about fed up with it. hears hoping!

DO NOT USE VASELINE ON RUBBER!

The petroleum distilates eat rubber. You should use silicone spray oil instead for your rubber seals. I put vaseline on rubber seals in my car after reading this thread thinking it was a good idea with the leaks I have, but went away to fully research it and came back to warn you guys off it.

thanks for the warning shot mate. how many garages have i seen put vaseline on rubber to make it shine!!! tut tut tut.

It's also the reason you shouldn't use vaseline with condoms :rofl:

I'm just hoping and praying it doesn't destroy my tailgate windscreen seal now.

Plenty of info on the net saying vaseline kills rubber but nothing saying what to do if you've been a bit of an eegit and just put the stuff liberally on something you do *not* want to break and will cost lots to replace.

I get the feeling it won't have caused serious harm but better to be safe than sorry, just like it's not a good idea to fill a petrol car with diesel :)

Suffered from the well-known windshield leak problem this summer. First I tried silicone sealant (done it before with success on our old Audi) but this time it didn't work. The glazier replaced the rubber seal using a good deal of sealant and now it's perfectly dry. I was told that old seals that have hardened a bit are almost hopeless to fix properly - replacement the only safe option. Cost me