Why do you guys use modern day words from other countries?

Mil

Thank you Kandy :) Query: How on earth did you manage to type all of that little lot? Have you got one of these new-fangled speech recorders? In which case, how did you manage to pronounce all of that little lot?

Quite so though. A friend at school was absolutely convinced that discombobulated was a proper word. I have a feeling that came from Ken Dodd though :rubchin:

Mo

Do you really need to ask a female such a question? :D

Tis OK. I've just got one of those nice short trenchcoats. So, either I'll behave, or it will be hanging on a coat peg somewhere after I bow out gracefully, yet speedily. Or (as a trenchcoat) it will come in very useful as I descend into the holes I manage to dig for myself relentlessly, my excuse being to get through to New Zealand via the shortest route.

:)

Mo

Fart is the arabic word meaning wind.

There's approximately one million words in the english language, which is more than double any other language. Although to be able to read 50% of all written english you only need a vocabulary of about 100 words. Parrots have been able to learn up to 200 words :D

Here's a fantastic word for any language: 'scrumping' - as in 'stealing apples', not anything else, just specifically apples. For what reason does this need its own word?

Thank you Kandy :) Query: How on earth did you manage to type all of that little lot? Have you got one of these new-fangled speech recorders? In which case, how did you manage to pronounce all of that little lot? ...

Mo

GIYF ;)

Fart is the arabic word meaning wind. ...

That is really quintessentially English in today's terms, arriving as "Old Fart" - or in my case "Old Tart" :D Of course, promptly followed by, "Less of the "old". The words: "Teaching grandmother how to suck eggs" spring to mind. so off to buy another coat.

:)

Mo

This is my area, English Language.

'Filum' is Irish and Why don't you was presented by Northan Irish kids in the 1980s. I wasn't Geordies at all.

Heresmo, you are right our language keeps changing! Its constant state of flux is a measure of nature of human experience, and in the case of 'bint', male dominance. Now I can spend all day on this subject but I wont bore you. However, here are some common areas of confusion exploded for you!

1) We like the French, enough to send our kids there in the Middle English Period, hence all the French loan words in English.

2) Women ARE better communicators than men. It's a fact. Period. (Note use of American idiom to get people's backs up. Their brains are wired this way and men's are not. It is jealousy that makes men call women gossips!

3) English is not a latinate language, it is Germanic in origin! Read the Lord's prayer in Old English and note the synatx!

4) We 'babble' as babies in the iambic pentameter as used by Shakespeare.

5) The first 'bones' to be formed in the human body, in the womb are in the ear! (3 Months).

6) The most persuasive construction in the English language is the 3 part build up. ALWAYS finish every letter of application with one!

7) The word **** comes from prostitution. The roads prostitutes worked on. Also Queen Liz 1 was called this too. Note alot of 'taboo' words were not originally taboo. Society has changed them.

8) Technologhical developments are now the single biggest force behind changing our language.

9) People from Birmingham are not thick!

10) The language you use, accent and dialect, your 'linguistic finger print' IS your identity. To learn to speak proper is a berayal of this.....unless you subscribe to Bernstien's ideas in which case you are simply more middle class!

There you go.

What was the question again?

M

This is my area, English Language.

'Filum' is Irish and Why don't you was presented by Northan Irish kids in the 1980s. I wasn't Geordies at all.

Actually it was both. And more. Taken from the ever excellent TV Cream :

WHY DON'T YOU? (early '70s-'80s)

BBC

FULL TITLE was the unfortunately appropriate "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead?" Which would have been anything at all. Things-to-do suggestion show hosted by regional gang of stage school brats was the bane of many a right-thinking child's summer holiday. The Belfast Gang, The Cardiff Gang, The Geordie Gang... they were all ******s and stage school rejects to a man. Recipe section (eg digestive biscuits crumbled up in milk) was revolting metaphor for show as a whole. Occasional tennis-ball-puppet-pops-out-of-box-held-by-hand joke slots mingle in the memory with that of the Dorriss (invisible creature who'd spook the kids at a whirlwind pace). Surreal. Rank.

TV CREAM immortality rating -

XXXXXXXXXXXX ..LET'S WATCH A FILLUM!

Fillum is in quite a few regional dialects :)

Marwood - I'll love you forever :hug: You have surely taken over the accolade of being the weirdest poster ;)

TBH I don't necessarily agree with half of the things you say; one half I do understand but the third half has left me mystified.

*Goes back to knitting*

Regards

Mo

Quite so though. A friend at school was absolutely convinced that discombobulated was a proper word. I have a feeling that came from Ken Dodd though :rubchin: Mo

Discombobulate is a proper word - According to the Oxford English Dictionary -

To disconcert or confuse :confused:

ZootyRS,

Thanks, I'll stand corrected there.

Sorry about the next bit...don't mean to lecture here.....but I can't resist....and anyway it's useful to know so you can correct people in the same way and deeply bug them! :)

Fair enough, I'm happy to agree that it may be in other regional accents, but strictly speaking not dialects. 'Fillum' is a phonetic pronunciation of the word film. In other words it has been spelt on paper how it is said. Accent is the word that is used to talk about the way words are said and not dialect. Dialect is a different thing altogether. This refers to the actual words in the vocabulary of the speaker, their word stock or Lexus!

Hence the word 'buttie' is the regional dialect word for the Standard English form of the word 'sandwich'. This word could however, remain the same whilst being spoken in different accents. Eg 'buttie' spoken in 'RP' if written down phonetically or phonemicaly, will be different to 'buttie' written down spoken in a broad Cockney accent.

I know I sound pedantic, but this is easily confused and accent and dialect are often used as interchangable terms when they actually refer to different areas of speech.

M :)

I'm prepared to put money on the word "fillum" having come along MUCH earlier than the 1980s. Why do we have this belief that everything was invented for the television? Because someone remembers a word being used on the TV doesn't mean they invented it.

My Dad has said "fillum" in jest for as long as I can remember. Until about 2 years ago he never possessed a TV nor would he have watched 1980s kids' programmes, of whatever regional origin.

Oh absolutely Nick,

That has been around for ages, probably as long as the Irish accent. That's just the point of reference we were using. My mum is southern Irish and she uses it..shes in her 80s.....not the 1980s clearly....that would involve delusions even greater than the ones she already has! :)

Must say I have often wondered why fillum is used it's exact origins. Clealy we know why it is said today......cos it's been passed down through each generation as much of language is. But exactly who started this oral tradition and what external factors caused it would be interesting to know.

Sorry about my wierd links. Just being daft. Altough what I suggest is accurate. However, if you have a 3G phone or network problem this is a great community....must be....they made me a con! The site is friendly an populated by many network CS reps...the people you ring when you have a phone problem. You will have to reg to use the site but say you have a Nokia N80 and can't connect it to your WiFi router, then this is the place to find out.

"Router"......not a word used by the 1980s WDY gang.....or my mother!!! :)

M

ZootyRS,

Thanks, I'll stand corrected there.

Sorry about the next bit...don't mean to lecture here.....but I can't resist....and anyway it's useful to know so you can correct people in the same way and deeply bug them! :)

Thank you. I'm always open to a bit of education :)

Fart is the arabic word meaning wind.

There's approximately one million words in the english language, which is more than double any other language. Although to be able to read 50% of all written english you only need a vocabulary of about 100 words. Parrots have been able to learn up to 200 words :D

Here's a fantastic word for any language: 'scrumping' - as in 'stealing apples', not anything else, just specifically apples. For what reason does this need its own word?

[my bold]

When I learned Pitman's Shorthand, it was known as the "700 common word series".

Luckily I can confirm that I am not a Stepford Wife as Marwood 's word "phenomicaly" definitely was not within that list. We breathe again - the thought of swapping my coveralls for a frilly apron :eek: :faint:

:D

Mo

Would never have thoght of you as such Heresmo! :)

Yep Parrots can learn words and chimps can be taught 'language' but WE and WE alone are the only animals on the planet that have a generative grammar. In other words humans can come up with asentence that has never been uttered in the history of time before and it will be syntactically and gramatically perfect. Parrots and chimps can't do this. Yet when I listen to bird song, especially in the evening, I wonder what they are saying to eachother and whether humans are too confident in their abilities.

However, it is our mastery of language that has given rise to our ability to work as teams or groups and given us the evolutionary edge. Ironically this has given rise to the mass media, a beast that may kill us and the "squirrels" (to quote from another thread) too!

M

Interesting that. I've seen a couple of progs recently on the telly about animals which call out to each other, in some cases to identify where they are, although, back at camp, body language seems to say more. Is there an interesting parallel that humans now have a growing recognition of the dichotomy between what our words say and what our body language says?

Dunno about squirrels, but I'm glad our language isn't responsible for killing kittens :D (That's from another thread BTW.)

Regards

Mo