96N Polo 1.4 - Bit of a bargain?

Tom_vRS

Well, a colleague at work has a slightly faded red 1.4CL Polo. 98k on the clock, central locking, leccy windows, full history (mostly independants), tax and test till April.

I can have it for £100 - yep, £100 - the tax is worth half that! :thumbup:

The only downside - suspected head gasket failure.

Going to have a look on Sat, but she has already bought a new car, and with no off-road parking she's having to keep it insured, so is keen to get shot - shes also to lazy to pop it on ebay.

I think its a bit of a bargain! Will post back on Sat.

So, how easy is the head gasket to change? I'm guessing pretty simple. How much to skim the head? I'd buy a Haynes and do it myself.

Assuming it polishes up nicely, any ideas what its worth?

:)

Looking at it, engines for these are 10 a penny, theres on on ebay for £150 just up the road in Kings Lynn :rubchin:

What other engines would slot in?

same 1.4 engines as the ibiza (AEX, APX, ABD). I've got a haynes manual for that going spare:rofl:

How's the gearbox?

PM me with a price for the Haynes.

No idea - will look over on Sat.

I think its gotta be worth £100. Just hope the head doesn't cost much to skim.

The labour isn't a problem. Pretty confident I can do the head gasket myself.

I'm damned sure this will be a cracker once finished, I like getting my hands dirty and I'm confident I can make a few quid too. :thumbup:

Roll on Saturday!

My step mom has a 1.4 (R Reg) 1998 polo in a lovely bright green colour. It has done 40,000 miles in total and only 28,000 has been done by her. She is the second owner and has had the car for nearly ten years.

All the work that has been done to it has always been done by VW also with the servicing every year.

A fine example, you dont see many cars with a full 10 year manufacturer service history.

These are great motors, it would be a great buy if my step mom would EVER sell it.

UPDATE!!! :thumbup:

Its not a 1.4, its a 1.6CL. 75bhp, lovely torquey engine, a'la Skoda felicia 1.6. Excellent!!!

It is taxed and tested til April 07, near as dammit a full tank of fuel, 4 nearly new tyres (budget brand), new exhast with 2 yr warranty, cambelt changed in March 2006 with receipt!!! :thumbup:

It was described as pale red, so i assumed it was faded red. Nope, its metallic burgendy/pinky/red. A lovely classy colour.

97k on the clock, 3 owners, lots of history. Bodywork immaculate other than some rusty stone chips above the windscreen which I will sort out, and a small dent in the front grille - again I will fix this.

It drives lovely, nice and tight, pulls well, smooth, no rattles etc, good brakes, nice power steering.

So the catch - an overheating problem. Its not the head gasket - it starts on the button, clean oil and coolant, and no steam - so thats good.

The heater doesn't seem to work, so I'm thinking thermostat or blocked rad... will get a new stat on order and give it a good flush out.

So all in all, BLOODY CHUFFED!!!! :thumbup:

Bad news, mum wants to learn to drive, and she loves the car... :(

Right, fixed it today!!!

New thermostat housing as the thermostat couldn't open - and still no heater...

So played about with coolant hoses etc for a while, and realised there was hardly any coolant circulating - so whipped off the water pump and it was nearly totally sheared!!!

So, £130 in repairs and its mechanically sound now!!! :thumbup:

Just need to get the rust spot above the windscreen changed, put a new screen in for good measure, steam clean the interior, get a CD player and fix the glove box lid!!! Will have set me back about £500 total including a service and MOT, and its so good I'm gonna keep it. :)

same 1.4 engines as the ibiza (AEX, APX, ABD). I've got a haynes manual for that going spare:rofl:

How's the gearbox?

Its a 1.6 AEE, so bought myself a Polo Haynes. Thanks for the offer though!! :thumbup:

Gearbox is smashing.

When the Polo is finished the Focus will have its Ford service, and the dent in the boot sorted. It means I can ask top-dollar (£7250 with a view to taking £6900) and if it takes a bit of time to sell for that then so be it. :)

• 1 year later...

Sold the Polo to a mates dad for a grand. Still pootling about now, and have done some bits on it for him since. Good car, possibly should have kept it. :)