Large family needs Skoda!!

Rob - Sheffield

Hi, I just joined cos I'm hoping to replace my 52 Mondeo (see my post here for one reason http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/octy-2-0tdi-recall-flywheel/52288/4/) with a Skoda. The problem is which one:confused:. We have three kids, the eldest being 6, so we need two carseats and a booster seat to fit. Looked at all of them at the weekend (except for the pricey Superb!), the Ugly looks impressive (daughters loved it!) but don't think a booster seat will fit in the little middle seat, and also the lack of a shoulder loop for the belt makes it look like it would take my daughter's head off! Think it's really designed for old people, otherwise why not put built in booster seats like Volvo have on their new one... although they are

Hi, Sorry thought you'd get Roomster from 'Ugly'!! Or to quote Whatcar "cult".

Although I have to admit it is a nice car apart from the B pillar region. I also thought the view out the front was a bit limited by the roof lip (I'm 6ft 2, maybe that's why?), anyone else agree or did I just have the seat wrong?

Yeah 6K won't get you anything on the new car market. What you could do is hunt around for a second hand car thats just had all the work done ?

But you'll need to be pretty clued up on mechanics to notice how recent brakes, exhaust etc have been done.

For what is worth, I have an 8 year old 1.6 hatch. 80k miles

I also have 3 kids and at one time had a child seat and a booster seat in the back. Everyone went in, just. It got a bit tight as they got older. The interior trim has held up quite well. Reliability with the car has not been a problem. It's serviced once a year a local independent. Still on original clutch, exhaust and battery. Front brakes pads at 50k. Tyres last about 30k per set. Only minor items have broken since the warranty ran out.

HTH

Andy

Beaten too it - I would have said a 2nd hand MK1 Octy estate.

Will prob take a bit of searching, but sure you will find a 1.6 or 90 BHP Diesel for the price you re looking at.

Good Hunting.

I would not dismiss the Superb - do a national search on Skodas UK's site for used Superbs nationwide.

Searching on the Skoda UK web-site is a good way to get a feel for dealer prices for all models, so you know roughly what you are looking at for your budget

koda UK - Home Page - go to "Showroom, Used Cars, Search Nationally"

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but how about a used Zafira ?

The MK4 Astra on which it is based is reliable and the dealer servicing is cheaper than Skoda.

Hi, can I say thanks to you all, it's nice to get a useful and friendly forum!!!!

Thanks for the Zafira suggestion above, but as I've already owned a Rover, a Renault (awful Scenic!!) and a Ford I am a bit wary of completing the evil quartet of supposed bad reliability! Nevertheless I shall have a look at one as I have heard they are by far Vauxhall's best car, whether that counts for anything.... ;)

Hi, can I say thanks to you all, it's nice to get a useful and friendly forum!!!!

Thanks for the Zafira suggestion above, but as I've already owned a Rover, a Renault (awful Scenic!!) and a Ford I am a bit wary of completing the evil quartet of supposed bad reliability! Nevertheless I shall have a look at one as I have heard they are by far Vauxhall's best car, whether that counts for anything.... ;)

Prior to the Octavia, we ran a MK4 Astra - the car on which the Zafira is based. It had less niggles than the Octavia and was a lot more fun to drive, despite being a non-turbo.

I wouldnt go for anything less than the 1.8 though, and I think the early ones had a lower powered 1.8 too. They did a 2.2 as well.

For your

An interesting reply from Skoda UK about a booster seat in the middle rear seat in the Roomster! They say you shouldn't put any form of child/booster seat in the middle rear seat of any Skoda car, however we could put one in the front.

As any adult who has tried to sit in the back between two child seats in any car will tell you, this basically means Skoda do not make a car suitable for a family with three kids! I imagine you get the same from many manufacturers though.

On another point, had a curve ball thrown in to the works if we decide on a brand new car, anyone seen a Mitsubishi Lancer? 1.6 estate, everything the Octavia 1.4 has plus metallic paint, alloys and an unlimited mileage warranty for