Skoda GAP Insurance - advice

I'm interested to know about this, too. My dealer offered me an alternative type of GAP insurance called - RTI - 'Return to Invoice' and is supported by 'Auto Protect'. It costs £295 and I have 30 days in which to decide to take it or not. Essentially RTI will pay the difference between any insurance settlement I receive should the car be stolen or written off and the amount I paid for it. Even if that happens in 2 years and 11 months (the policy lasts for 3 years). Of course that would be best case scenario for the buyer :)

I haven't decided either way yet, was hoping that other people will answer VRSquiche's post, too.

Dave.

If you want GAP/RTI insurance, avoid purchasing it from the dealer. Remember any financial/ warranty product they can flog at you has large profit margins attached. It's where they can make the most cash from a car sale.

I was certaintly interested but a swift search on Google found a number of legimate companies offering the exact same service but at £100 less. I've not taken anything out yet because Direct Line are covering the first year. The majority of major car insurers will do this so it's worth checking when your phoning up to revise your policy.

After this first year there are plenty of GAP/RTI companies who will provide the service despite your car being a year old. Just read the T&C's very carefully.

I got this but not from the dealer. My loan cover from Alliance & Leicester also gives me this. Covers the difference in loss of value if a full claim is made.

But the cover is also the usual of sickness, death, etc. Get it from another financial org. Cheaper and better.

My brother is a car salesman and he advised getting gap insurance after seeing customers come unstuck without it in the event of a write off. When I bought my Fabia vRS in January I stalled a bit on buying the gap insurance and the dealer dropped the price to

I managed to worm it out of my dealer for 'free' but no doubt they've screwed me somewhere else on the deal and made that money back. No such word as 'free' in the car sales industry:rolleyes:

Mine was £299 from a main dealer. Still not convinced it was worth it....or the autoglym package which was extra that I've also seen in Halfords for a lot less. Still, I scr***d them on the asking price so not a bad deal.

Although any modifications, i.e. different alloys, or aftermarket exhaust, that should be declared on your car insurance, and will be covered, will NOT be covered on the rti/gap insurance.

That's how I understood it anyway.

The Gap Plus insurance I had said under Exclusions:

Cover is not provided if vehicle modifications are other than in accordance with Manufacturer's specifications.

I read that as meaning if the vehicle is modified with a non-Skoda-approved accessory, then there is no GAP insurance cover. Other exclusions listed, eg driving whilst intoxicated or without fully comp insurance, likewise mean no GAP cover.

• 2 months later...

Check with your insurer, you may find they give 1st year as return to invoice.

Not sure of any other companies. There are alot out there so just read the T&C's very carefully.

Also make sure you take out the right cover. The cheaper one at the dealers only covers the amount of finance outstanding if there is a shortfall. The other policy repays the diferrance upto