Project Q-Felicia

TeflonTom

right, it's been confirmed..... i'm definately out of my mind....

here's the idea i've been playing with in my mind for the past few days

17.jpg

i'm certainly going to consider this at a later stage.. would require extensive modifications to the engine internal tho

I may be thick, but that looks like a belt driven supercharger:D :thumbup:

:thumbup: aiy, tis an Eaton M45 from a bmw mini.

Max flow rate is about 12000l air/min, perfectly adequate for a 1.6, up to about 7.5k rpm

depends on the pressure ratio, but as a rough rule of thumb one of these will displace 750cc per revolution..

the standard vw crank pulley is 130mm diameter, the factory fitted pulley on this carger is 65mm

so here's the maths bit:O

the circumference of the crank pulley is 408.46mm

the circumference of the supercharger pulley is 204.23

so the pulley ratio 2:1

so theoretically the supercharger will be displacing 1500cc every revolution of the engine

any four stroke engine takes two complete revolutions to completely use it's maximum capacity, so a 1598cc engine only needs 799cc per revolution

so our 1500cc supercharger displacement divided by 799cc will give a pressure ratio of 1.87.... or .87 bars over atmospheric pressure.. or 187% volumetric effieciency

14.7psi = 1 bar... so our .87 bars will give a theoretical boost pressure of 12.8psi

still following???

this is all just theory, but in practice you wont see anything like that boost pressure due to energy lost as heat, plus roots type superchargers are inefficient at high boost levels because of rotor leakage..

plus at these sorts of pressure ratios they do struggle!!! in fact i estimate it would take nearly 40bhp just to turn the supercharger over!!

all this would require a compression ratio around(or below) 8:1 plus better conrods to handle the extra stress loading/torsion.. also the exhaust valves would need to be swaped for single piece stainless steel to cope with the extra heat loads from supercharging.

also igintion timing needs to be retarded because of the extra combustion chamber temperatures.... and also above all else, more air in requires more fuel....

all this is circumstantial because imho the skoda gearbox wont be able to handle that sort of stress:)

i apologize for blinding every body with science, but it does pay to have a thorough understanding of the subject of forced induction before you go whacking a turbo on the side of an engine:O

:thumbup: aiy, tis an Eaton M45 from a bmw mini.

depends on the pressure ratio, but as a rough rule of thumb one of these will displace 750cc per revolution..

the standard vw crank pulley is 130mm diameter, the factory fitted pulley on this carger is 65mm

so here's the maths bit:O

the circumference of the crank pulley is 408.46mm

the circumference of the supercharger pulley is 204.23

so the pulley ratio 2:1

so theoretically the supercharger will be displacing 1500cc every revolution of the engine

any four stroke engine takes two complete revolutions to completely use it's maximum capacity, so a 1598cc engine only needs 799cc per revolution

so our 1500cc supercharger displacement divided by 799cc will give a pressure ratio of 1.87.... or .87 bars over atmospheric pressure.. or 187% volumetric effieciency

14.7psi = 1 bar... so our .87 bars will give a theoretical boost pressure of 12.8psi

still following???

this is all just theory, but in practice you wont see anything like that boost pressure due to energy lost as heat, plus roots type superchargers are inefficient at high boost levels because of rotor leakage..

plus at these sorts of pressure ratios they do struggle!!! in fact i estimate it would take nearly 40bhp just to turn the supercharger over!!

all this would require a compression ratio around(or below) 8:1 plus better conrods to handle the extra stress loading/torsion.. also the exhaust valves would need to be swaped for single piece stainless steel to cope with the extra heat loads from supercharging.

also igintion timing needs to be retarded because of the extra combustion chamber temperatures.... and also above all else, more air in requires more fuel....

all this is circumstantial because imho the skoda gearbox wont be able to handle that sort of stress:)

i apologize for blinding every body with science, but it does pay to have a thorough understanding of the subject of forced induction before you go whacking a turbo on the side of an engine:O

yeah yeah, you aint the boy with an excel spredsheet built to calulate volume of flow at different revs with varying boost for the m45 eaton:thumbup: PM if you want me to email it to you...

I recall mucking about and getting the 1.3mpi able to take a theoretical 30psi of boost at 7krpm just to max out the charger.

dont forget you can undersize the charger pully to give more boost at lower revs:D

that wee 8v AAE is crying out for more lowdown grunt:rofl:

A) Fit the supercharge witth a solenoid/electromagnetic clutch so you can switch it on and off at will, and

unfortunately the ones fitted to the mini cant have these attached to them, the spline is a different size... alternatively an m45(different shape) from a merc, which does have an electronmagnetic clutch is another possibility..

the other thing i've pondered on is using a vacuum operated bypass which allows the air to bypass the supercharger at high revs.

B) COMPOUND CHARGE it with a nice T3/4:cool:

this is a minefield frought with dificulties, many different bypass valves and non-return valves are required.... it's not a new idea.. lancia did it years ago on the S4 delta:)

if i were to go down the whole turbocharged route i would use a KKK K03 turbo anyhow as there is an off the shelf manifold/downpipe available from rothe motorsport in germany for this engine.

turbomanifold.jpg

they aren't too expensive either.. about

i've got the hump now!

spoke to them today about the throttle bodies, they currently have none in stock and there is an unknown lead time at present.... i so wish i'd ordered jenvey ones now:(

i've got the hump now!

spoke to them today about the throttle bodies, they currently have none in stock and there is an unknown lead time at present.... i so wish i'd ordered jenvey ones now:(

ask for t=your money back and tell them yopu're fed up being dicked about...

then go order the jenvey ones

been thinking of my next project, once the pinkskud is finished.

thinking along the lines of, estelle or rapid with a (tinked with) 1.3mpi in the back, and some hp sporting shocks. that should be fun. just need to find a car now.

been thinking of my next project, once the pinkskud is finished.

thinking along the lines of, estelle or rapid with a (tinked with) 1.3mpi in the back, and some hp sporting shocks. that should be fun. just need to find a car now.

i've got a pair of sidedraught dellorto DHLA 40 carbs kicking around somewhere in my shed..... would be perfect for that if you could find the right manifold...... let me know if you are interested

i nearly forgot about this!!!

it's been sat in the boot of my car for a few days

manifoldcatpipe.jpg

stainless steel 4-2-1 manifold and cat replacement pipe (wont be using the replacement pipe:O )

i nearly forgot about this!!!

it's been sat in the boot of my car for a few days

manifoldcatpipe.jpg

stainless steel 4-2-1 manifold and cat replacement pipe (wont be using the replacement pipe:O )

:Yikes::eyepop::drool:

I can bet that'll sound the tits:D

why no decat pipe?

I can bet that'll sound the tits:D

;) it will, if you can hear it over the rumble of the throttle bodies

why no decat pipe?

becuase there will be nowhere for the cat to go:rolleyes:

i'm going legit with this one