Project Q-Felicia

TeflonTom

i'm back with the motor..

engine.jpg

i've had a quick look at it, and my initial thoughts are that it is in very good condition.... no corrosion on the head at all, and also the block is almost corrosion free... it's also very clean with just the normal dry oil around the oil filter.

i've been thinking...

is it worth the extra expense of getting the flywheel/rods/pistons lightened?? i'm going to re-build the engine from scratch, with new seals/bearings/bushes/gaskets etc... so it will all be coming apart anyway!

i've been thinking...

is it worth the extra expense of getting the flywheel/rods/pistons lightened?? i'm going to re-build the engine from scratch, with new seals/bearings/bushes/gaskets etc... so it will all be coming apart anyway!

From experience lightening and balanceing an engine makes a massive difference and is fairly inexpencive for the results.

I'd also get the crank balanced and the rods end to end balanced.

i think you might be onto something there ross... on the front of the head the numbers on the casting stamp equate to november 2003...

can sombody have a quick look on etka and tell me which engine this head is from.

the part number is 032103373K

i've been having a few thoughts on cylinder head modifications today..

been browsing through sorg motorsports cataolgues, it appears they make oversized valves for this engine, and they also make those oversized valves in two different lengths, the shorter ones for hydraulic lifters and the longer ones are if you want to convert to mechanical lifters...

i am seriously considering the change to mechanical lifters. they are defintely worth every penny.. less valve train mass/intertia, higher rpm limits, more reliable.

the valves weigh in at about

you getting a 3 angle cut on the valves?

yes, i'm going to do that myself, going to borrow a valve seat grinder.. that is the last job to do before lapping in the valves

i've been considering the options and what needs doing to this engine. i've decided not to do any of the fancy stuff because it simply isn't worth it. besides it wont last long anyway:D

i will be doing a rebuild to original spec on the bottom half of the engine tho :D

i'm still going to do something special with the cylinder head, but i'm going to use standard sized valves. i've been weighing up the pros and cons of oversized valves and they are just too expensive

it looks like i'm going to be needing Gaskets, seals, bearings... err..... what else??

valve guides, basically these little babies are pressed into the aluminium cylinder head casting, they are made of a hard bronze alloy, the valves slide in and out of them. you can see the groove on the top where the valve stem seal locates..

unfotunately i've been ripped off by an ebayer :eek: they were incorrectly listed, i've just measured them, and although they technically would fit the holes for the valves are too big, these are for the earlier polo's which had 8mm valve stems..

DOH!

Unfotunately i've been ripped off by an ebayer :eek: they were incorrectly listed, i've just measured them, and although they technically would fit the holes for the valves are too big, these are for the earlier polo's which had 8mm valve stems..

DOH!

:rolleyes: Best get them back on ebay.....