fuel usage on felicia 1.3L

Hi everyone.

I have a 1.3L Felicia 5 door hatchback, 1998.

I have fixed the thermostat problem, as the car wasn't warming up. All ok now.

However, I don't seem to be getting good mpg figures. Rough calculations indicate about 21 / 22 mpg around town.

It doesn't seem to be using any oil.

What can i do to improve the mpg, after all it is only a 1.3 engine.

Will changing the air filter make any difference; not sure when this was last done.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I ran a 1997 1.3MPI estate for almost 100,000 miles, and got 44mpg driven gently on long runs. To and from work in traffic, down to 37mpg. Heavy winter use, short journeys, using lower gears, lots of electrics etc, down to 32mpg.

So, you certainly have a problem to fix. As others have suggested, check ECU and fault codes. also worth checking tyre pressures, take roof rack off, keep windows closed, dragging brakes?

Let us know when you find the culprit.

Sea Kayaker

Hey mate,

I got a 1.3 Favorit on a m reg. favorits and felicias of that age share alot of the same parts. I have the same problem (check my thread ). I fill mind up costing 40 quid and get a bout 300 miles. I am having the air filter changed which will make a difference but ........................ ( now this is important) On favorits and felicais it is common for a sensor to go which controls temperature. the sensor may have broken and it may not detect that the engine is warm, i.e still sucking loads of petrol in during your whole journey, due to the sensor still thinking its cold.

and in reply to sean moore, my dad had a 1.6 felicia which could keep up with a GTtdi golf. weird.

i done the air filter the weekend , also adjusted the throttle cable as there was some play ,cleaned the throttle body and it goes a bit better .

new center box next week cos it don't sound to good not blowing maybe the insides are breaking down.

sean

thanks for your replies. For your info these tests were done with the following conditions:-

- made sure that the tyre were properly inflated.

- exhaust seems ok.

- drag kept to a minimum, i.e. no roof rack, open windows, etc

- light foot on accelerator.

Daz51 you said

"( now this is important) On favorits and felicais it is common for a sensor to go which controls temperature. the sensor may have broken and it may not detect that the engine is warm, i.e still sucking loads of petrol in during your whole journey, due to the sensor still thinking its cold. "

Where is this sensor? (anyone got a photo of it)

and how can i check if it works properly or not?

Thanks

search this chat room. there have been some quite detaled threads about how to fit/fix the stat.

Ok just to clarify, I have already replaced the thermostat and that is all ok. The car is warming up properly and the coolant temperature gauge sits in the middle as it should do. SO all ok there.

However, Daz51 is saying that on favorits and felicais it is common for a sensor to go which controls temperature. the sensor may have broken and it may not detect that the engine is warm, i.e still sucking loads of petrol in during your whole journey, due to the sensor still thinking its cold.

This is saying that although the engine and coolant are at the correct temperature, the sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is cold, and so the ECU is still feeding in loads of fuel.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

ps - what should the emissions readings be?

and how can the ECU be checked?