Fabia vRS engine noise

I have a PD100 (rather than a vRS) - but am wondering if I have the DMF problem mentioned?

I notice two things:

* vibration when pulling away from rest. It gets worse if, for instance, I'm in a traffic jam so have to keep starting & stopping

* vibration in the steering wheel when the engine is "Pulling" in 5th. This seems to get worse when going up hills on motorways, for instance.

If it wasn't for the 2nd one I'd suspect I needed a new clutch - but I've not noticed any slippage.

Car is totally unmodified, but I've done 200K so plenty of time to have worn out a component or two...

Do PD100s have a DMF as well, and am I looking at needing a new one? What do they cost (bearing in mind the car isn't worth a lot)?

yes , your engine will have a DMF and at that mileage it could be worn ,get a garage to check it out , it will be an expensive repair though , i've read circa

In the two weeks since returning from the dealer there has been no recurrence of the engine "rattle". Seems now that Stephen, Henry's Skoda was right after all - vibration/noise source was loose engine cover.

Many thanks, however, to all who gave of their time to comment on the subject.

btw What happens if you have a faulty DMF and you don't fix it?

Does it shatter into pieces or anything dramatic like that?:eek:

in my experience with the Ford Galaxy with the PD engine in it , the DMF will do 1 of 2 things , it could lock up solid and cause horrendous vibration and noise or the other thing it will do is fail completely , when this happens the dampening medium which is a type of very sticky grease is deposited inside the bellhousing (pig to remove) you will get something which feels like a bad engine misfire when this occurs ,this can be difficult to diagnose unless you've had experience of it happening before , you could spend all day checking the injectors and wiring only to find nowt wrong with them .

whatever happens it will require a DMF and clutch kit :(

there was a recall on certain VAG models and the Galaxy with PD130 engine for a faulty DMF , where in extreme circumstances the DMF could fail , smash through the bellhousing and go on fire , Ford Technical bod i spoke to had seen the aftermath of such a fire , Fabia VRS was NOT included in this recall

I've got a 2003 SEAT Alhambra fitted with the same 130 BHP engine and DMF - these were subject to a recall because of DMF failure and mine was replaced at 18,000 miles despite not having any issues. Just out of interest, what revs should owners use in each gear?
sure they recalled my 04 furby vrs for this as well.

sure they recalled my 04 furby vrs for this as well.

AFAIK the only recall on the Fabia VRS around that time was for the fuel pump on the side of the head which had new bolts fitted to the correct torque , my 04 VRS missed this recall but my dads 04VRS just fell in the month range

• 2 weeks later...

Having this sort of issue with my VRS in 5th and especially 6th when pulling from 1800 revs. its like driving over a rumble strip and I think it is flywheel judder. Odd, because the car does't feel under load at these revs in 6th. Typically i get it when slowing down for a motorway exit, and then picking up the revs again. I'm driving around it at the moment, and as long as i don't give it full beans under 2.5k in 5th or 6th it seems fine.

Remap off and the car pulls fine in any gear from 1.8k with no juddering.

I am looking at a bigger turbo in the autumn, it seems a SMFW may be an investment, but i'm a bit miffed, as there are loads of people out there running way more torque than me who dont seem to have any trouble with the DMFW.

Exactly how noisy are SMFWs?

re the SMFW noise , PM Basil as he has just finished a lot of mods on his VRS including the SMFW and Helix clutch

the SMFW isn't noisy , its the gearbox at idle that rattles

It started after fitting my FMIC, alythough I know that isn't the problem in itself.

After speaking to a few people in the know it would seem the car running cooler might have tipped the fly over the edge, with the map asking for too much torque low down for the fly to cope with.

Spose its possible that the FMIC is allowing the engine to boost harder, and therefore develop more torque. don't understand why my fly seems to be juddering when i know other people are running way more torque with the DMFW. I am managing to drive around the problem at the moment, but not ideal seeing as i'm looking to the VT5 in the autumn. if i need to replace the fly thats one more thing i have to budget for....

What am i looking at

the other cars may be running more torque , but its where the main torque is produced that could be the problem with your remap

I agree. A well known individual is having a look at the map next tuesday with a view to addressing this issue (if indeed it is the mapping and not just a dodgy fly).

Am I right in thinking that the damage is already done now though? especially as I was looking at upgrading the turbo?

I agree. A well known individual is having a look at the map next tuesday with a view to addressing this issue (if indeed it is the mapping and not just a dodgy fly).

Am I right in thinking that the damage is already done now though? especially as I was looking at upgrading the turbo?

Yeah , i would say some damage will have been done to the DMF , so if your going for more power/torque i would deffo either fit a new DMF or the Helix SMF/clutch kit

• 4 weeks later...

So, this Dual Mass Flywheel then...

I've been reading about this, since the thread about when to change gear in this forum today. Didn't really know about it before.

OK, so if I'm on say an A road that goes through a section of lower speed limit say 30 or 40 and I'm trundling along in a high gear, say fourth... are you telling me that when it goes back up to the nsl I am wrong to accelerate in that gear, but I should actually change down? That seems to be the message! Which is odd because people always quote the advantage of a diesel is that you can accelerate from low revs to overtake etc, but this is not really good? theres a slight low pitch vibration in 5th and 6th but I assumed its just a bit of engine noise.

How many people have had problems with the flywheel, or is it scaremongering? And if I carry on accelerating from low revs in high gears how long can I expect it to last?!

So, this Dual Mass Flywheel then...

I've been reading about this, since the thread about when to change gear in this forum today. Didn't really know about it before.

OK, so if I'm on say an A road that goes through a section of lower speed limit say 30 or 40 and I'm trundling along in a high gear, say fourth... are you telling me that when it goes back up to the nsl I am wrong to accelerate in that gear, but I should actually change down? That seems to be the message! Which is odd because people always quote the advantage of a diesel is that you can accelerate from low revs to overtake etc, but this is not really good? theres a slight low pitch vibration in 5th and 6th but I assumed its just a bit of engine noise.

How many people have had problems with the flywheel, or is it scaremongering? And if I carry on accelerating from low revs in high gears how long can I expect it to last?!

do you get a vibration when you are accelerating from lower revs ? if not you don't currently have a problem , but even a little bit of vibration is ok as the flywheel is doing its job of stopping the torque being transmitted to the gears , the problem is more pronounced with a remap due to larger amounts of torque the engine produces

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 02 1.9TDi with 39K carefully driven miles.I had a peculiar rumbling vibration at tickover yesterday and I'm wondering if this could indicate the start of a flywheel problem.

I stopped in traffic during a gentle 4 mile journey and when I dipped the clutch as I came to a halt there was this rumbling which could be felt through the floorpan.As I moved forward a little in the traffic it continued,but we then got moving and it disappeared.I've done about 30 miles since with no further noise.

I had a new Anti-roll bar fitted 2 weeks ago,but as I wasn't moving whilst this went I assume this is unlikely to be a cause.Any ideas or advice?