Fettling a Golf.

Mr Grumpy

I remember the original GTi, a friend of mine nearly killed me with its lack of brakes. The car was stupendously lacking in the braking department. But it was still an amazing car at that time.

it was the mk2 polo that had the tryely awefull brakes.....

the mk2 golf can easily have the larger G60 brakes fitted too

Perhaps but the MkI Golf Gti was a legend for its lack of stopping power. I was nearly in that crash!!!! So to speak.

It

My Mk1 GTi's standards are pretty good to be honest, and gliders seemed to cope with knockhill last week too, maybe your mates was dodgy!

Nope. I am stating an irrefutable fact about the original Golf MkI GTi. It had lousy brakes as standard. I drove them when they were brand new cars and honestly they were carp. Whether yours has uprated pads or some other mod I can not say, but you should have read the press at the time. They loved the car (there was nothing else like it obviously) but hated and I really mean hated, the brakes. My Hillman Hunter

Mines 'had' standard Servo,master cylinder, disks, pads,drums,shoes,lines,hoses and fluid and honestly I never had a problem wih them, I actually thought they were good.

Recent days have seen a 16v master and servo, G60 fronts 16v MK2 rear Disk setup with scirocco handbrake cable, goodrich hoses, Tarox Disks and pads all round and nice blue fluid. but for all that effort they are not that much better.

Maybe I just got a good un eh ;)

Mines 'had' standard Servo,master cylinder, disks, pads,drums,shoes,lines,hoses and fluid and honestly I never had a problem wih them, I actually thought they were good.

Recent days have seen a 16v master and servo, G60 fronts 16v MK2 rear Disk setup with scirocco handbrake cable, goodrich hoses, Tarox Disks and pads all round and nice blue fluid. but for all that effort they are not that much better.

Maybe I just got a good un eh ;)

I think you must have THE good un. Next time I chat with my male friend I will quiz him and see if he can remember the reason for the woeful MkI brakes. I think he had both the 4 speed 110bhp and one of the early 5 speed Mk Is too.

Just in case you think Hillman Hunter brakes were suprising good, a ski jumper going down a ski jump with an elephant on his back and rocket powered skis (his not the elephants), has better brakes:D

Mine was originally the 1.6 112bhp single headlamp 5speed.

I think they did have an Issue with the Vacum pipes from the master cylinder to the Inlet, the plastic was too brittle, cracked and often needed a couple of pumps to create a vacum and get a pedal. But never experienced it ;)

Mine was originally the 1.6 112bhp single headlamp 5speed.

I think they did have an Issue with the Vacum pipes from the master cylinder to the Inlet, the plastic was too brittle, cracked and often needed a couple of pumps to create a vacum and get a pedal. But never experienced it ;)

This is a random selection of 3 clips I

All these quotes are in third person though, with one from an actual owner, im sure we could play ping pong while I nipped into Clup GTi and got some opposite quotes, but what would that prove? that peoples opinions differ? or that memories change over time?

You'll find many posts slating the Fabia RS's brakes too, the truth is that they are not that bad really, for 99% of people they are probably fantastic or at least adequate, its us pedants that look for something better

I would agree with Lady Elanore, I am a mk1 and a mk2 owner and can honestly say the mk1s brakes were their weak point. You can improve them though by uprating parts and running g60 calipers or putting carriers to allow for bigger discs (this is what I did to keep the 14" wheels on there) and replacing servos/hoses etc. The mk2 had better options either 239mm discs on an 8v engine, 256mm on the 16v or if you were super lucky 280mm on the g60s. A common and well advised upgrade for any golf running 'improved' power would be a minimum (in my opinion) g60. My mk2 runs around 185bhp and it runs g60 brakes with fast road discs and pads and is fine for that kind of power. If your friend wants to run 300bhp you would almost certainly want to go above the g60 stuff and run a 'brembo' or 'Tarox' type kit. For 300bhp you would probably want to put an s3 engine in and then tune accordingly. A g60 engine would be a good compromise for power/cost however they are rare now and arent as cheap to tune and i dont think would run the 300bhp reliably. There is a 16v g60 conversion but you are talking

I would agree with Lady Elanore, I am a mk1 and a mk2 owner and can honestly say the mk1s brakes were their weak point. You can improve them though by uprating parts and running g60 calipers or putting carriers to allow for bigger discs (this is what I did to keep the 14" wheels on there) and replacing servos/hoses etc. !

Thanks Sweedish, I thought I had woken up in an alternative universe for a day or two there.

It

lol, what i would say though is every car is different and the lhd mk1 had 'better' brakes. In my opinion though the mk1 lacks braking. I have 2 mk2s one with factory fit g60 brakes and abs and fast road stuff all round (a lhd car) and it stops on a six pence. My other mk2 has retrofitted g60 stuff again fast road and uprated servo etc, it just doesnt brake quite as well. I guess its the same with engines that come out of the factory, they can see different figures depending on the batch!