Fabia VRS Avg Miles/Gall v Actual

dawragg

I've always monitored my fuel economy and fully fill the car every time. I have had a Fabia VRS for a month or so but find a big descepancy between the average Miles/Gallon displayed and the "actual" Miles/Gallon as calculated from the fuel purchased and miles covered.

Last week I fiiled to the "brim" and did a longish run of 165 miles each way - It was motorway driving and I was trying to be as economical as possible. The Average achieved on the display was 67Miles/Gallon - and 65 on the return. I filled to the "brim" again and calculated the Actual - it was 53.3!!

Anyone else tried to checkout the VRS display?

The discrepancy makes me wonder if the car is displaying Kilometres/Gallon!:confused:

I'm sure part of the problem is that the expansion tank on the Fabia means you can't get a consistent 'brim-full' reading.

What is even more alarming is the "miles to go" figure: yesterday mine dropped from 70 miles to go to 35 mtg in the space of about 12 miles.

Just fill the tank when it beeps at you, and use the indicated mpg numbers as trends rather than absolute values.

• 4 weeks later...

My computer is very difficult to get above 50mpg on any journey unless you drive incredibly carefully and conservatively. But the average over 3000 miles is showing 45, and that is about what I get filling the tank too. As a result my computer seems quite accurate compared to others!

I'm recording all my fills and what the computer says - the computer is currently overstating my economy by 17%! This is after 8000miles.

I think that is pretty appalling (This give no reserve on the range meter at all i.e. When it says 0 miles range it means it!)

I will see If I can get it sorted at my 10k service.

Yeah, I also find the computer to be wildly optimistic compared to calculating from a brimmed tank (genuinely brimmed in our case as SWMBO's car has a "ventectomy" so there's no expansion tank to worry about).

Recently on calculating average mpg SWMBO's Fabia worked out at 45mpg but that was all stop/start town driving so not too bad really ! On a motorway run we usually see around 55 to 60mpg calculating from actual fuel used, again not too bad !:D