Thank you very much for the pictures!

Is the torque on the nut vital as I don't have anything to tighten to a specific torque. Would be ok to just tighten the nut as much it will do?

I see how the nuts are done now... so I could just use something like a chisel and tap it with a hammer to bend the nut.

Phil

A chisel and hammer is exactly what I used to peen the nuts as recomended by pinkskud so I figure thats a good way to do it (cars not whistling again yet ;) )

As far as exact torque goes....I don't think its that important as nobody else seemed to be able to give me a value to tighten the nut too....but I'd get a second opinion on that.

good work that man.

i have millions of pic from when i have done the job, but being a retard i can never figure out how to post them properly lol

i torque them to a very specific torque setting that i like to call "FT" some of the more mechanically minded people hear will be familiar with this setting

i torque them to a very specific torque setting that i like to call "FT" some of the more mechanically minded people hear will be familiar with this setting

Hmmm.... can't work that one out! :o

Also the noise that you hear in fifth... is it a constant noise whenever fifth is engaged and driving? I only hear a very faint whine when doing around 35-40 in fifth and just maintaining the speed with the throttle. It then dissapears when I push down on the throttle again or let go of it.

Thanks

If I was in fith gear, any speed, foot on accelerator there was an obvious whistle which increased the faster I was going. A good test I imagine is from 40-60 in 5th then the same in 4th, if it whistles in 5th and not in 4th sort your nuts out !

If your whistle dissappears after 40ish I'd hazard a guess its something different but I'm no expert, a resonance condition caused by a small hole or something? Does it make the whistle at that speed in 4th ?

No only in 5th at speed does it make the noise but havn't tested it at a slightly slower speed in 4th.

When you say small hole do you mean in the gearbox? As I noticed that the oil breather on the top of the box is just open with no little plastic valve ot whatever there.

Phil

I only hear a very faint whine when doing around 35-40 in fifth and just maintaining the speed with the throttle. It then dissapears when I push down on the throttle again or let go of it.

I'm unsure about this, I only have experience with what happened in my car the fault may be apparent in other ways. My earlier point was if at 40mph in any gear you have a whistle then it could be a gap in the body work or something causing a whistle/whine.

As I say in my case the whistle became more apparent the faster you went in 5th and didn't disappear at any speed in 5th with the acc' pedal pressed. Hopefully someone else will appear to let you know on your problem...sorry I can't be of anymore help.

• 3 months later...
This may be a silly question, but can someone please explain what "peen the shoulder of the new nuts" means its not a phrase im familiar with:( .

There's a thinner edge on part of the nut (the top, where it's against the thread) that you dent inwards against a flat or indent on the shaft it screws on to to stop it undoing.

from page 1 of this thread:

http://rob.themediapage.com/RobsFiles/_images/Car/End_Casing_Off_%5B800x600%5D.JPG

HELP!

situation not good. Turns out my 5 gear retaining nut collar has shattered! ... nice. luckily I found one shard of metal stuck to the gearbox casing, but there is still a sizeable shard (half a toenail cutting of a large mans toe) still inside the box somewhere! .... Could this potentially ruin my gearbox if it hit a set of teeth whilst travelling ???

Also everytime I try and tighten the nut it turns the engine !!! how do I give it 60nm or 100nm or tightening when the engine just spinns ? screwdriver in the alternator ?:confused:

dsc00416zev.jpg

dsc00414jrb.jpg

What should I do ?

Anyone that can help me please do. I desparetly need the car fixed as I have an important commitment tomorrow that I desparetly need the car for! Should I just bolt it back together knowing there is a loose shard of metal in the box ? What are the chances it will hit the teeth ?

... Ive checked through the oil that came out and there is nothing. just some sand grain sized metalic specs.

Are you suggesting driving it without the retaining nut properly attached to the 5th gear? If its shattered it won't hold properly...that isn't going to be a good idea. As for a loose shard of metal....if it stays under the oil level you'll be fine....don't like your odds though......I'm off out now...sorry can't be more help

• 1 month later...

Hi ya all. Just bought my felicia 1.3. the clutch was slipping very bad and there was a sreeching sound when in 5th gear. When i depressed the clutch screeching stopped. Have now done the clutch and gears 1,2,3 and 4 are good but still get a screeching noise in 5th. Wondering if this is the same fault as described by mikey 120957. Any help would be great. Sounds to me like it is same fault but would like a second appinion

Hi ya all. Just bought my felicia 1.3. the clutch was slipping very bad and there was a sreeching sound when in 5th gear. When i depressed the clutch screeching stopped. Have now done the clutch and gears 1,2,3 and 4 are good but still get a screeching noise in 5th. Wondering if this is the same fault as described by mikey 120957. Any help would be great. Sounds to me like it is same fault but would like a second appinion

yes this is your problem.