Rear Parking Sensors or not

I'm thinking about having some Skoda rear parking sensors fitted to my '06 vRS estate. Are they any good? Do they monitor the proximity of the curb as well as higher obstacles? Is there anything to look out for before going ahead and buying them? I've been quoted around

I have the factory fit ones and think they work well. The continous beep comes in with about 18 inches to 2 feet from a wall etc and so far picks up other cars, walls, hedges, banks etc (as you would expect and hope for!).

There is also a display on the Audience headunit which shows if the obstruction is on the left rear, right rear and both. Not essential I feel as you are looking out the back window anyway but could be handy.......not sure if you can have this linked up with a dealer fit and presume it is only Audience head unit.

I have them on my Octy and find them very usefull. They are a lot bigger than the ones fitted at the factory so they dont look as neat.

They dont pick up the kurbs but they do pick up objects to the side of the car.

Mine are factory fitted and they work great. Very useful, display means a lot since you don't have to turn your head back to see what kind of obstacle you are getting close to. you won't regreat!

I think they're brilliant.

This one on eBay looks quite interesting (assuming you haven't got the auto dimming mirror).

eBay.co.uk: BlueTooth Handsfree Rearview Mirror with parking sensor (item 130109122782 end time 10-May-07 10:37:20 BST)

Imagine all the wires running everywhere...... wonder why it has a cig lighter?

I would keep it simple, if you were to buy a kit a DIY - take the bumper off pop the sensors in and wire to your reverse light, mount the speaker where your cd changer is out of the way. - Job done!

Interesting stuff. Thanks for all your comments. I think I will go ahead with the Skoda parts but I obviously need to do some haggling with the dealer on the price!

They also bleep the ground when you are backing out of a sloped drive but the road slopes up the other way.

They also bleep the edge of the front garden wall and gatepost as you back out past it but you get used to all that and soon know when it means business.

• 5 months later...

OK, I've done a search on the internet, on the Skoda website and on the threads here.

Just trying to find out.... If I get retrofit rear parking sensors, would they be tied in with the display which shows where the object is, or is it just a beep.

Does anyone know please? :)

Just trying to find out.... If I get retrofit rear parking sensors, would they be tied in with the display which shows where the object is, or is it just a beep.

Does anyone know please? :)

Not sure about that. If it's a proper Skoda kit you would like to think so. Tbh the display is just a novelty for your passengers. I instinctively look over my shoulder or in the mirrors, not at my radio! You feel daft looking at the radio display and I've never really trusted it. Having said that the nice thing about the radio integration is that with factory fitted kit, when you select reverse, the radio volume decreases automatically so you can hear the sensor tones.

Sadly I say goodbye to my Octy on Friday at which point (ironically) in my new motor I 'will' start looking at the radio when reversing as there's a reversing camera instead of sensors. Oh I do love my gadgets. lol

J

They are worth it to have; you don't need the display on your stream/audience radio, I never bothered looking at it and prefer to look in my mirrors using the synchronised adjustment to drop them down and look at the kerb.

You could go all the way though and get an In-Dash DVD player and then link it to a rear view TV with the camera mounted in, say, the bootlid. Then you just watch the picture on the screen. :D