Rear Parking Sensors or not

I've got rear ones as standard. I've never had them before and TBH I find them slightly maddening as the continuous beep starts far too early.

Actually, because I like to sit low in the car and can't begin to see the front (the bonnet slopes away so steeply no doubt to save errant pedestrians' legs), some front ones would be much more useful probably.

dill

What would be neat if instead of a changing bleep it told you "12 inches, 9 inches, 6 inches.." etc. [or these days in centimeters probably!]

But it is worth getting out of the car a few times, at first, to see just what each rate of bleep means. Mine starts at about 6 feet away, and on continuous is about 18".

I've got rear ones as standard. I've never had them before and TBH I find them slightly maddening as the continuous beep starts far too early.

i agree - that is frustrating sometimes, especially in tight spaces where you know you can fit in, but the car disagrees!

The problem is that the ultrasonic field is sort of cone-shaped, such that the detection areas of two adjacent sensors cross over slightly, so that there are no "blind spots" between them.

If they were tuned to be less sensitive, you would have to have maybe 6 or 8 sensors across your bumper to prevent a bollard or something slipping "between" detection areas.

• 2 months later...

I have in the past mentioned about my Octavia Elegance sensors ,they are good to have except if you have a tow bracket fitted. They drive me crazy when in reverse as they are on all the time until coming out of reverse.Has anybody got a sensible answer to this problem?.Many thanks if you can help.

• 3 years later...

What would be neat if instead of a changing bleep it told you "12 inches, 9 inches, 6 inches.." etc. [or these days in centimeters probably!]

But it is worth getting out of the car a few times, at first, to see just what each rate of bleep means. Mine starts at about 6 feet away, and on continuous is about 18".

What would be neat if instead of a changing bleep it told you "12 inches, 9 inches, 6 inches.." etc :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

One down side is if you occasionally then drive a car without them, and absent-mindedly reverse waiting for 'beep', instead of which you would get "CRUNCH" !

Haven't done it yet, but......................!!!

They are good to have except if you have a tow bracket fitted. They drive me crazy when in reverse as they are on all the time until coming out of reverse. Has anybody got a sensible answer to this problem?

Pay a little more for a swan neck, no problems with it interfering with my sensors... :thumbup:

DSC04871.jpg