Rattle and iPod

Got a new (1 month old) Octavia estate 4x4. There is a hellish rattle from the passenger side of of the dashboard. Possibly in the air-vent. Any ideas what this could be before I take it back to the dealer? It sounds like a bag of loose plastic washers in a plastic box. It's driving me crazy.

Also, in the storage compartment of the armrest, the is an "AUX" socket. Can't find any info on this in the manual. Can I plug my iPod into this, and will it play thru the car stereo? If so, what type of lead do I use to do this?

Cheers.

Angus

Can't answer your first question.

But the audio manual does cover aux and cdc (cd changer in the same section)

Simply buy yourself a 3.5mm jack to jack lead. I bought one of these recoil leads very reasonably (

I assume you've checked the contents of the glove box, door pocket, little storage thing at the front/side of the seat, under seat storage box....

Is everything "clicked" into place under the bonnet - fuse box cover etc

What happens if you drive with the glove box open?

To connect your iPod it is much better to use Line out rather than the Headphone socket. The AUX In expects a standard line in signal, not one designed for headphones. This way you don't have the battle of two volume controls, or the risk of overloading the AUX In with signal that is too loud.

Several options exist, but all connect to the docking connecter.

ie - pdlousb.jpg

Got a new (1 month old) Octavia estate 4x4. There is a hellish rattle from the passenger side of of the dashboard. Possibly in the air-vent. Any ideas what this could be before I take it back to the dealer? It sounds like a bag of loose plastic washers in a plastic box. It's driving me crazy.

I have a similar creak type sound coming from just above the glovebox.... Which when driving if you apply some pressure just to the right of the passenger airvent you can replicate the sound, so a new passenger airvent is on order.

When I took it back for an Oil Change (dont ask) the mentioned it needs a new air vent strip that demists the windscreen as Skoda have a newly designed one.

So it may be either / both of these - but you do say its 1 month old - but I suppose it really depends on its build date.... may have been registered last month but built 6 months ago ?

I have recently purchased an 06 Octavia Ambiente TDI and note in the Stream Radio guide reference to AUX which I cannot see any use for. I have no socket in the glovebox, no arm rest. I would love to be able to connect my Ipod rather than using the clumsy radio transmitter I got from Hong Kong. Has anybody any ideas other than buying the ICE cables doing to rounds for

When I took it back for an Oil Change (dont ask) the mentioned it needs a new air vent strip that demists the windscreen as Skoda have a newly designed one.

Any chance you could find out the difference in part numbers between the old and the new. I had mine replaced before but both look identical....and the problem is still there.

Any chance you could find out the difference in part numbers between the old and the new. I had mine replaced before but both look identical....and the problem is still there.

Gaff,

Do you know how they come out - they must have a part number ? I can then check the before and after.

Gaff,

Do you know how they come out - they must have a part number ? I can then check the before and after.

afaik The New Part Numbers were, well so I was told :)

Left IZ0819695A47H

Right IZ0819696A47H

but they looked identical to the old ones, there was no visible numbers on the old ones.

To take them out was with brute force :rofl: , theres a couple of clips either side but I reakon you'd be doing well to take them out with any thoughts of putting them back in. Take the Sensor out first IIRC.

What are your symptoms ? Mine is grand this weather but once it gets cold and you start using the heating then your get the snapping noises in dash.

Sorry, perhaps I haven't made it clear.

I asked the dealer to look at a rattle near the gearbox. Unfortunatly I think they have misdiagnosed the issue to be with the demister vents and not the passenger front facing vent. Hence they have called it back in for replacment windscreen vents.

I have since spoken to them and said that I don't think the problem is with the windscreen vents so they have agreed to order a replacement passenger vent.

So I suspect they are replacing windscreen vents for everyone complaining about dashboard rattles.

However, on a similar note whenever I accelerate hard a seperate noise comes from behind the centre vents - so this could be the windscreen vents?

I found mine quite bad today, I found by moving the centre vent it simulates a lot of what I hear. What exactly is the issue with the P/S vent ? (is there something loose in it......).

Its quite annoying on cool days.

Well I have both windscreen vents replaced.

They have the same part number as the previous ones (so I'm told).

And the technician managed to get his greasy fingers all over the windscreden :mad:

I have also had the passenger side airvent replaced....

However, the creaking sound still hasn't gone away.

I am a bit upset that the dealer has not called me to check that everything is ok, as far as i am concerned this is not resolved.

I strongly feel that I should have gone for a test drive to identify this isssue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally find the source of the noise.....

In removing this entire panel the noise had stopped, so i smeared vasoline across the leading edge of the panel that get inserted between the door hinge and dash.

Now the loudest creak has gone I am beginning to hear others

• 1 year later...
I have recently purchased an 06 Octavia Ambiente TDI and note in the Stream Radio guide reference to AUX which I cannot see any use for. I have no socket in the glovebox, no arm rest. I would love to be able to connect my Ipod rather than using the clumsy radio transmitter I got from Hong Kong. Has anybody any ideas other than buying the ICE cables doing to rounds for

Yes you guessed it the heat has melted it and apart from the obvious mess the creak has returned.

Can anyone recommend a decent product to grease this sufficiently?

KY jelly:D:D:rofl:

I bought a cheap cable from ebay that has a docking connector and a 3.5mm plug with a zip reel in the middle to store excess cable. Only cost a few quid and does a great job of connecting the ipod to the aux plug. This is similar to what I bought Car Dock 3.5mm AUX Audio Cable Lead Connector for iPod on eBay, also Car Kits, Apple iPod Accessories, MP3 Player Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 07-Aug-08 16:30:00 BST)