Dealer-fit Sun Shades

Has anyone had the sunshades fitted that are available as a dealer fit option?

I was contemplating either having the windows tinted (legal style) or getting the sunshades for the back windows and the estate windows.

I suppose the benefit of the sunshades is that you can remove them if you want.

Anyone got them??

my boss has them on his. seem pretty sturdy and they do block a lot of light out. not much use if you want to put your hand out the windows though although thats a big advantage with the kids

I have them on my hatch and like them. Big advantage is that you can take them off if needed but with the estate you need to buy 2 sets (door and estate windows) and that pushes the price up so I would check out the relative costings for Tinting vs Shades as in the end the result is the same - unless you feel you may want to remove the tint at some time then you need to go for the blinds.

Also suggest you get the rear blind or a rear tint as well though this apparently kills the mirror autodip function but then the blinds/tint will reduce glare at night anyway.

I got the rear sun blinds a few weeks ago because we have just had a baby girl.

I think they're pretty good. They block out most the sun and also prevent people seeing in. The ones for the rear door windows you can fit yourself but the one for the boot window needs to be fitted by the dealer, unless of course you are prepared to take of the boot trim to fit yourself. I was supplied mine by the dealer but they didn't tell me it needed to be a dealer fit so it's going in next week.

The blind for the boot window is on a roller and can be easily put up and down.

5 clips that attach between the door frame and the rubber seal. very easy to fit.

Only three per window on mine, but they seem to hold fine.

I love them as from a distance they look like proper tints but you have to option to remove them if necessary.

Mine are actually aftermarket but got them free with the car. They'll be pretty much the same to dealer-fit blinds though. :thumbup:

Can anyone confirm if tints do in fact stop the rear view mirror from auto dipping as the Leon FR has tints as standard and can have the auto dip feature.

They auto dim can still be ordered, and if a sufficiently bright light is shone on it (from headlights) it will dim.

In the same way as carrying a big box in the boot would "kill" the dim function - it wont work because no light is being detected - but then no light is visible to driver either - it sees what you see.

I think what Octavia5 means is that because the light is reduced by say 25% by the glass that the original light has to be that much brighter to trigger the FULL dim.

The dim function is variable depending on brightness anyway, so in the end the same amount of overall reduction should still occur even if the auto dim is only working at partial strength.

However, one factor might be that if your eyes get used to the lower light levels, then they will become more sensitive to lights that don't trigger the autodim. This is unlikely as you should still be looking out of the front or side windows at the true ambient light levels.

I think they're pretty good. They block out most the sun and also prevent people seeing in. The ones for the rear door windows you can fit yourself but the one for the boot window needs to be fitted by the dealer, unless of course you are prepared to take of the boot trim to fit yourself. I was supplied mine by the dealer but they didn't tell me it needed to be a dealer fit so it's going in next week.

The blind for the boot window is on a roller and can be easily put up and down.

Blimey, exactly the same thing happened to me. My vRs goes in Tuesday to get the one for the boot window fitted....gonna cost me around 33 quid, makes it a rather expensive do. The side window ones were easy enough to fit and I reckon they will be worth it for my young son.

M

Has anyone got pics of these on an Estate, as per "Don Coffy" I agree that they look like tints (wishes I had sunset privacy) but these blinds may be a cheaper alternative.

Does this affect the visibility when you check the blind spot before overtaking on a motorway - looking betweeen the seatbelt and rear window ?

Blimey, exactly the same thing happened to me. My vRs goes in Tuesday to get the one for the boot window fitted....gonna cost me around 33 quid, makes it a rather expensive do. The side window ones were easy enough to fit and I reckon they will be worth it for my young son.

M

My local dealer said they would fit my rear blind for a tenner so I can't complain at that really. They agreed to that after supplying me the part but didn't tell me it was a dealer fit.

It's only the clips required to hold the blind open that need to screw onto the upper trim of the boot that needs the dealer to do. The blind itself simply screws onto the parcel shelf. If you know how to remove the trim it should be a 15 - 20 min job.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, if you read about the manufacturing process on their website, they pride themselves on good quality materials.

Hopefully get them fitted by weekend and post up some pics.

Cheers

Rick

Went to the dealer and he advised me to use OE sunshades (who supply Skoda with the shades apparently)

They E-mailed me back with this attachment.

All rear windows including the back one for

Can't do it at the moment though as the car is in the bodyshop (don't ask).

When people say "don't ask" they really mean "ask", applying the same woman logic of "No".

The boot window shade is a roller blind that sits on the middle of the parcel shelf and attaches, when pulled up, to some hooks at the top of the window in the boot lid trim.
I thought the OE Sunshades was a two piece item for the boot window, and not a roller blind. I'd still be interested in pictures of both designs though...

• 1 month later...