oil probs

i have a 2 month old vrs octavia its done 3500 mile and today the oil low warning light came on so i went home parked it up let the engine cool down and went to check the dipstick it was on the min mark so i checked for leaks and topped up. it took nearly a litre is this normal, or is there a trip to the dealer called for

Isn't the original posters engine a TFSI?

Do they have the same oil drinking habits as the oil burners?

If so where does the oil go? past the pistons or via the turbo or somewhere else?

Our needed a top up after 9000 miles but 3500 is far to sort a time for that much oil.

I would have said max it may have drank 1 litre but no more..........

It must be pretty low if the warning light it on.

guess you have two options - top up and monitor - which i would do

or

take back to dealer and get them to check

The New Octavia Owner's Manual says in part:

It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5l/1 000 km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle. The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5 000 km.

One should therefore check the oil level at regular intervals, preferably every time after the fuel tank is filled or after driving long stretches.

The wife's car, a new Honda Civic 1.8 Vtec Ex drank 1.5 litres in 6000 miles, dealer said this was normal, it must be modern engines these days.

Mind you, it's not half as bad as my last car:- Mazda RX-8, that took about a litre every 1100 miles, but that's supposed to happen with a rotary.

Still, it's good to get in touch with Simon (Oilman) to keep you in good supply. He's VERY popular with the RX-8 guys!!!

Cheers

Rick

I agree with DGW and other that the engines do consume some oil, particularly when new.

Personally I would top it back up to the max mark, and keep an eye on it. If it is still drinking huge amounts after the first service then I would be concerned enough to give the dealer a nudge to check it all.

• 8 months later...

Dunno if its relevant but I have a 2003 Octavia Elegance estate with the 130bhp PD engine and I've NEVER had to top up the engine oil in 42,000 miles! I should add it's checked regularly. Is this a record?