MAX POWER July Issue - Fabia vRS v Seat Ibiza TDi FR Review

I'd never want anyone to have a car without ABS - TVR really shot themselves in the a55 with that + airbags...

no they shot themselves in the a$$ messing with the valve setup in an Al Melling straight six... and then selling to the ruskies...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it rains on the motorway I back off to leave 3 or even 4 lamp post gaps in the dry its 2.

I was lucky to avoid a pile up on the M4 in heavy rain near Slough earlier this year/late last year.

I had been backing off as the rain got heavier & heavier then I suddenly saw an artic swerve into the hard shoulder and cars swerving accross the road - I just managed to stop 5 car lengths in front.

I was also looking in my rear view mirror and ensuring I didnt stop too quickly as they were too close to me.

It really shakes you up but they were driving too close & in the weather conditions 40-50mpg tops was a safe speed yet those in Range Rovers flew past 90+ idiots.

no they shot themselves in the a$$ messing with the valve setup in an Al Melling straight six... and then selling to the ruskies...

They had to due to emmissions.

And they needed to break into the US market who have much stricter emmissions than the UK.

Cost of production was increasing and the

Penny Mallory last night showed off this feature in the dry on a tight course of cones and the time she achieved was quicker & much more in control with the ESP.

I was quite disappointed with this demonstration as for a rally driver her steering inputs were (deliberately?) way too big. For someone of her alleged skill and experience, ESP should make no difference to that kind of manouevre.....

Chris

your not prepared then the abs will be able to stop you quicker.

ABS is about being able to steer round a hazard, not stop you quicker! In fact, in most cases, ABS will extend braking distances.....

Chris

ABS is about being able to steer round a hazard, not stop you quicker! In fact, in most cases, ABS will extend braking distances.....

Chris

quite correct

abs is more useful than esp etc.. on a road.. but can be a real hinderance on a circuit... I know TaviaRS "delays" his for circuit use...

Chris

Agree.

Personally not experience an ABS system I like.

or were you just going too fast for the conditions....:rofl:

No, that wasn't the point I was trying to get across. Speed wasn't really an issue, just a large amout of standing water which couldn't be avoided on a motorway.

Surley what ever happened you shouldnt have got into it in the first place :P

Your right, I should have left it in the garage and not gone anywhere. In fact, perhaps I should just get rid of the car. It's obviously too dangerous to drive anywhere in the wet.

Sarcasm does't quite come across a forum very well :rolleyes:

I drive about 40k a year, it's part of my job. It's not a case of not getting into the situations. Of course you avoid dangerous conditions thats just as much a part of driving as starting the car but sometimes they are just there.

Big up ESP!

I've been fairly lucky in respect that when I passed my text my first car for 18 months never had ABS so I got myself in a mindset where if I did plough on the brakes I was most likely to lock up in an instant. It sort of taught me to be more aware of what was around me, and if I needed to brake in a hurry to be firm yet progressive with the pedal, and pump it if I did loose grip. Now I've got my vRS I think the only time the ABS has come on is when I've been intentially trying to lock the wheels.

Whilst I don't know a great amount about how the VAG ABS Unit compares with others I did'nt think the unit on the Furby was too intrusive. I didnt seem to notice too much kickback through the brake peddle and other then a quick succesive set of chirps from the tyres it does seem to stop without too much fuss.

I think that's the best way for the safety systems to be.....not too intrusive and over zealous. The ASR is the same. You have to really be giving it some for it to kick in......it gives the driver a chance to correct their mistake before taking over.

I've driven a BMW 320i (X reg thing) which had traction control and that was a nightmare. Every time you tried applying power mid bend it cut it completely and you almost ended up coasting round corners, even when you were going quite slow and there was no risk of the back end slipping. You effectively had no control....it wouldn't let you.

The other thing is the driver would have deliberatly turned off the traction control otherwise with it on you'd never lose traction.

Sorry fella, but that comment made me laugh.

As it says in the manual for the smart:

"Note that the traction control system cannot defy the laws of physics"

(think that might be paraphrasing, but it's certainly possible to end up facing the wrong way despite having traction control).

Rob.

If your driving away from the lights and its not monsoon nor greasy now icy nor snow you are driving it like a ****

All your doing is putting so much stress on the drivetrain + wearing out your tyres.

If traction control is on its not possible to wheel spin off the lights unless on exceptionally icy conditions.

If your driving away from the lights and its not monsoon nor greasy now icy nor snow you are driving it like a ****

That as may be, the point up for dispute was that it's not possible to break traction with a traction control system in place... :)

Rob.

That as may be, the point up for dispute was that it's not possible to break traction with a traction control system in place... :)

Rob.

Well surely if you do lose traction (not from cornering too fast I mean pulling away/ accelerating in slippery conditions) then the traction control isnt working and needs to be repaired.

Well surely if you do lose traction (not from cornering too fast I mean pulling away/ accelerating in slippery conditions) then the traction control isnt working and needs to be repaired.

Depends how aggressive the traction control is - if it cuts power once it detects the wheels are slipping, it will still have lost traction. Keep your foot on the power and it'll wheelspin in a rather bizarre manner as it applies and cuts power...

Rob.

Admittedly the traction control on the vRS is very easygoing. It takes a lot of provocation to kick in, and by that time the driver would have normally backed off anyway.....unless they're driving like a ****. :D