MAX POWER July Issue - Fabia vRS v Seat Ibiza TDi FR Review

Just borrowed my mates MAX POWER Mag to have a quick peek at, and to my surprise they have done a head to head on the Fabia vRS and Seat Ibixa TDi FR (both standard with 130BHP).

Pretty much the same car i imagine so quite interesting to see that the Fabia vRS got an overall score of 25 as opposed to the Ibiza with 24.

To summarise, and i quote;

'DONT BE FOOLED BY THE BADGE. Thats the moral of the story where diesal hot hatches are concerned, as the Skoda Fabia vRS has just nicked victory from the Seat Ibiza TDi FR.

The contest was close, but that was to be expected with two cars that share the same engine and platform, but it was the little things that made the difference.

Although the Ibiza may have the styling edge, there is still a distinct air of cool around the Skoda's squared off panelling.

The performance of the two was near identical, but it was the more complete feel, steering and ride of the Skoda that just edged it over the more raw, sporty Ibiza.

With both cars being so fast, useable, fun and economical, the real question is not which of these is best, but whether you really need a petrol to have a great hot hatch'

They also liked the vRS for modifying potential;

'Anonymity - The subtle styling lends itself well to the Euro Style customisation, and its unassuming stance means it is a great sleeper. Just see the faces of other hot hatch owners when you leave them choking on Skoda rubber!'

Not a bad review for the old Furby i dont think, I know it is only MAX POWER but the guy who tested these cars has tested all the other hot hatches (Fiesta ST, Golf GTi etc) so I think he knows what he's on about.

Anyway just though i would share that with you, the full article does make interesting reading.

James

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a slippery slope for the Fabia vRS now it's featured in MAX Power.

How long before we start to see them with big Fast and Furious style wings??

:rofl: I cant see it taking on, no real ***** will buy one. But it doesnt hurt to let some of the Maxi pants know we mean business!

P.s Max Power isnt that bad, more to do with performance these days that chromies like they use to. They have done a good article on the W12 Golf too.

Personally a car magazine loaded with T and A with a couple of reviews on cars, chavved up Nova 1.0 and Corsas, with (let's be honest) nasty looking girlies displaying their puppies is only ever going to appeal to 15 year old virgins!!

Now that the Fabia has now graced the pages of this trash magazine I fear for it's image. Hello Autotrader, I'd like to place an AD please...........

Des

Personally a car magazine loaded with T and A with a couple of reviews on cars, chavved up Nova 1.0 and Corsas, with (let's be honest) nasty looking girlies displaying their puppies is only ever going to appeal to 15 year old virgins!!

Now that the Fabia has now graced the pages of this trash magazine I fear for it's image. Hello Autotrader, I'd like to place an AD please...........

Des

:rofl: I dont personally like Max Power and have never bought it but i have to stick up for it at this point. Not one Nova or Corsa in this issue, a 208 BHP Mini, lots of Evos, 525 BHP M3, Zondas, Ferraris, the VW Cup racing series 218 BHP Polo GTi, Wr1 Scoobies, Civic Type R, 389 BHP MR2 and the new 400 BHP Infinity G37 to name a few! So hardly lots of 1.0L Novas. :rolleyes:

But then ... get half way through and you hit all the rubbish adverts and girls and other trash! :rofl:

Im giving it back to my mate right now ... :P

Interesting. Yes, there are trying to shift the magazine's image. There was a thread on here discussing the shift not so long ago.

Steve

Max Power started off as a good read actually , I dont know how many out there bought the early editions , but I got the odd one back at the start , and there were no half naked girls or 'street language' used back then....maybe they have realised its time to grow up?...(again...lol)

Nice review of the Fabia vRS though! (Am I brave enough to buy a copy...lol)

Max Power started off as a good read actually , I dont know how many out there bought the early editions , but I got the odd one back at the start , and there were no half naked girls or 'street language' used back then....maybe they have realised its time to grow up?...(again...lol)

I would never buy it at

Same here I purchase dthe first 5 magazines, when Vicky Butler Hendersen and the editor of VW Performance used to write for them, sadly though the adverts started to appear, then the girlies..............

Des

might just do that matey to see the look on your face:rofl:

This is worrying really for you owners added to the fact that there seems to be more & more storys of these rolling, or sets of tyres being worn out in a few months and the ESP impeading progress on the public highway.

All points to one thing - higher ins premiums & those who remap I'd highly suspect will find it getting much more expensive to insure.

Hopefully this will put off some of them.

Car Ins Quotes

996 Porche Turbo =

Already seen one... it was at a well known Briskoda site partner's premises having some work done. Not my thing at all, infact I'd go as far as saying it was hideous!

Perhaps its me but unless its a hot rod then modifying the looks of a car are beyond me.

I can understand modifying the brakes/shocks/lights for added safety and I can see the appeal of getting more power - but the con is clearlylong term reliability & the ease to sell it on.

you did?

:rofl:

WHAT! Im am not a c.h.a.v. (have to put full stops in otherwise it *****'s it out)

I live in the country, drive a Fabia vRS and short wheel base 110 Defender, have long hair, muddy wellington boots on all the time, 3 horses and 2 labradors! :rofl: Country bumkin yes, **** no! :P :rofl:

Perhaps its me but unless its a hot rod then modifying the looks of a car are beyond me.

I can understand modifying the brakes/shocks/lights for added safety and I can see the appeal of getting more power - but the con is clearlylong term reliability & the ease to sell it on.

I agree 100%, the only cosmetic mod i do is the wheels, but combined with new and wider tyres that can count as safety ;)

WHAT! Im am not a c.h.a.v. (have to put full stops in otherwise it *****'s it out)

I live in the country, drive a Fabia vRS and short wheel base 110 Defender, have long hair, muddy wellington boots on all the time, 3 horses and 2 labradors! :rofl: Country bumkin yes, **** no! :P :rofl:

It's the closet c.h.a.v.s you have to beware of :)

3 horses?? Surely you don't need all of them, can I have one?? Please???? :D

:rofl: I cant see it taking on, no real ***** will buy one
you did?

:rofl:

Ignore RedBaron, he is often known to get cheesed off at Fabia drivers because they are not commonly so bitter and twisted as he is (:P ;):rolleyes: naturally)

whats on the Front cover of the Max Power Mag with the Fabia on it so I know for definate I get the right one :thumbup:

It says, Japans Tuning Icon in yellow, with a pic of a white Evo 8 facing the front and a red Evo 2 in the background on the left. On the back of the packaging it also says, ' Diesal Hot Hatches Seat Ibiza v Skoda Fabia' near the bottom on the left hand side. HTH.

The review is not really worth paying

i was looking at the FR but the VRS seems to be cheaper to buy

Thats pretty much the conclusion Max Power came to. They liked the styling on the Ibiza more, but said the Fabia was overall better to live with and has less depreciation, for the same performance.