No power to Cigarette lighter

Hi,

Since yesterday I have no power to my cigarette lighter socket. Bit Ironic considering yesterday was the start of the smoking ban. Anyhow, I have checked the fuse which also serves heated seats (not fitted) and heated mirrors. The heated mirrors still work so it would appear that power is getting through and past the fusebox. So, I'm wondering, does the ciggy lighter have a relay and if so, where the heck is it?

Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

JT.

other than that it sounds as if the positive has come unclipped in the lighter which will involve lifing up the fascia and pushing it back intot he cig lighter.

Mine neither... .

(2002 vRS)

Don't believe you. There is a button by the central locking button that disables the rear windows and ciggie lighter, works for me!

Don't believe you. There is a button by the central locking button that disables the rear windows and ciggie lighter, works for me!

Good for you.. believe what you want..

MY socket DOES NOT get switched off by the window disable switch :mad:

Pop the switch and disables the rear windows, but my socket is still live. :D

I wonder if its something to do with fuse possitioning? I know on some french cars you can move the fuse to a different possition to change the cigarette lighter from switched live to permenant.

Good for you.. believe what you want..

MY socket DOES NOT get switched off by the window disable switch :mad:

Pop the switch and disables the rear windows, but my socket is still live. :D

I always have the rear windows disabled and the socket is (until now) always live. I use it to power my SATNAV and phone chargers. First thing I did was check the fuse which is intact and then I tested the heated mirrors and they do get warm. So it is safe to assuem that power is reaching the fuse box at the very least. I'm wondering if the wire could have come loose underneath the socket itself but without a Haynes manual I have no way of knowing how to remove it to check. Any help is appreciated.

JT

Mines a 54 plate, octy II classic , 1.9 TDI

Easy enough to check if t his is the problem, just turn off the child locks and the lighter works again.

dave

It doesn't work regardless. But in my car, the switch never did make any difference.

To remove the console, lift out the ashtray from the rear of it and pull out the surround for the ashtray. There are a couple of screws underneath, then the back of the console lifts up. The front just clips on, IIRC.

• 11 years later...