PAS stopped working!!!

SWMBO was driving the car when the PAS just stopped working and the dash light came on.

I took the car to my machanic friend who has a snap-on dia tool.

We got these codes out of the car:

01290 Reference Voltage steering help short with gound

01288 supply voltage terminal 30 too low signal too high

can anyone shed any light what might it be.

I have checked the fluid level just on the dip, so topped up.

cleaned up the battery earth to the body both ends.

Worth checking the connections on the PAS pump I think. They can be reached through the foglight (nearside) panel, or remove the front bumper for very easy access. Often when this happens, it's the PAS sensor on the blink - Does the PAS come back alive after it's turned off / turned on again? If it's totally dead whatever now, I would think it's a wiring issue with the faults you're getting (usual disclaimers apply, especially when master techs come on with proper diagnosis ;))

Well, the short to ground usually means something's not connected, i.e it's not got the earth it needs, and the voltage thing probably means the same.

For all I know, it could be the actual pump on the way out, which is expensive to replace, apart from I saw one on Ebay couple of days ago at

I visualy checked the fuse 7 5A (not metered out) looked ok.

also isnt there a high current fuse for the pump under the battery cover?

but I will double check in am.

battery seems ok no alternator charge battery light ?

I will check voltage in am with meter and cells for low electrolite.

will nip down to the local car parts shop to do a load test on battery.

so if the pump cant pull enough juice out of the battery it just shuts down?

theres no noise of it trying to do anything.

but (thinking on the fly) if the battery has dropped a cell there must be a voltage limit aka the 01288 code.

but the alternator should be able to compensate ?

only thing to do in the morn get it load tested.

then re assess.

The car has a electronic management system. It will deselect certian systems if battery voltage drops to keep the engine running and vital systems working. PAS is a massive drain and thus gets cut first. The alternator cannot cope with an instant requirement of that nature, the alternator is only there to top up the battery not to run the system.

understood, I havent had to get my hands dirty for quite a while on a complex motor.

I also run a Pug 205 Derv very basic mechanics for me to commute in.

SWMBO had an Audi A4 2.6 before no problems for 6 years with that.

bit of a shock when you get the odd niggle here and there with the furbie.

If it is the battery I know what Im getting.

a nice AC Delco the biggest that will fit in the housing.

These babies deep cycle better that anything, except those mega expensive optima spiral batteries.

Well I have had the battey load tested all ok also charging fine.

so got under the car stripped it down got to the PAS pump, what a flippin place to put it.

disconnected the three connedtors gave them a clean with servisol contact cleaner.

put together again.

and nothing still the same.

but the casing around the pump when pressed expelled water

knackerd motor/pump?

any clues to the codes 01288 & 01290?

how much for a pump?

also if you replace the pump how do you purge the system of air?

OK guys thank for the help, will need to check the big plug with a meter for power.

I have checked the fuses with a meter there ok.

I will check for shorts on the yaw sensor.

as I remember the garage where I took it (done under used car waranty) said he had to cut the cable and join it. (said they couldnt get to the plug)

makes me think with all this rain may be he didnt use self amalgamating tape.

could be shorting out.

as I remember the garage where I took it (done under used car waranty) said he had to cut the cable and join it. (said they couldnt get to the plug)

:eek: Can't believe I'm reading that! The plug is accessible if you remove the front bumper, or even easier it can be reached through that bumper panel that I was on about. It sounds like you may have stumbled across your problem without even looking at the car. :D

I will check with the garage to see if this was the case I seem to think this was the case.

It does seem shoddly to me as I got to it no problems, inner wheel lining off and through the fog light.

If this has shorted out the Yaw sensor would this have damaged it?

I will remake the joint no problems I will heat shink each of the three and then over the whole cable then some self amalgamating tape after that.

I have Just spoken to the garage chap who did the work.

He did'nt cut the PAS angle sensor, what he said to me was that he should of because it was an Ahole to get at.

So I have just spoken to the Skoda dealer nice shiny sensor waiting for me to pick up.

Guys, an update I checked the power connector to the pump 12.44v (engine off)

I have replaced the steering angle sensor (code 01290)

and guess what nothing still no PAS and light still on dash.

any ideas

will speak to the Skoda dealer tomorrow me thinks if no one can come up with anything

lummox, sorry to sound thick.

but earth from what to what plugs on the pump?

battery to engine?

because the current earthing goes from the battery to the chasis the further down chasis to engine.

might try an earth from the battery to the engine directly.

Hum I had a problem once with a nova GTE brand new after six months the gauges kept flicking about turned out to be bad earth from chasis to engine.