BAAArp or Beep

Guest parsko

There were photos on how to in this thread but they seem to have gone :(

It's really not that complicated, all you really have to do is use the exisiting connection (It will run ok on the one fitted without the relay) to power it and find a decent way of mounting it (It's a bit like a 3d jigsaw in the hole with the new horn)

How does that work without chopping wires then?

I got a nautilus on the strength of this thread and it has two spade terminals, one each side of the unit, whereas the plug for the OEM one is for two flat pins half a cm apart.

It ended up getting chucked in the shed as I'm not going to start hacking bits off just yet.

Buggered if I could spot a simple way of mounting it either - but I was bored by then. :rofl:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...all you really have to do is use the exisiting connection...

How does that work without chopping wires then?

It ended up getting chucked in the shed as I'm not going to start hacking bits off just yet.

I've connected the Bosch Airmaster horn using female spade, just cutted the wire near to the orijinal horn's plug... ;)

Thanks, but I'd be happier if I could get hold of a connector to fit the OEM plug from somewhere.

I tried to reply to this last night but my connection was poo.

I trimmed two male spade connectors down to fit in the OEM plug and secured it all with heat shrink. Took about 5 minutes.

That's what I thought I'd be doing and then wrap the lot up in self-amalgamating tape.

Still going to keep on looking for a nice OEM(ish) connector though - someone's got to do them.

Crimp connectors and a bit of heatshrink, and not very much effort, and you can get something that looks reasonably tidy... Not yet fitted mine though.

DSC00692.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted the Stebgel Nautilus Compact to my Roomster as follows

1) Grab the nearside fog light shroud and pull it off. - Old horn exposed.

2) Remove the old horn mounting bolt (13mm I think) and disconnect the electrical feed.

3) Throw old horn away.

4) Extend the original horn wires by about two feet. I managed to find some small spades that I think were possibly meant for car stereo connections to fit the Skoda horn plug. Fit a normal lucar connector on the other ends of these wires.

5) Feed a wire capable of carrying about 15 amps from near the battery down the inner wing terminating at the horn where it connects to the positive terminal of the horn.

6) Connect all the electrics up at the horn end before mounting the horn.

7) Make a small 90 degree bracket with one hole to match the stebel hole mounting bracket. (I used 10mm with washer and nylock)

8) Drill the other hole to match the original skoda bolt size. Note the bracket has to be a very tight 90 degree bend as such that the two mounting bolts have to be juggled past each other to fit through the holes.

9) Make a short electical connection now between the negative terminal on the horn terminating with a loop connector.

10) Offer up the horn at about 45 degrees to the vertical and the mounting bracket should line up to take the bolt. Remember to put the other end of 9 above through the mounting bolt and tighten up, this earths the compressor.

11) Now to the battery end. The Stebel comes with a relay. Each of the original Skoda wires are used to energise the relay on pressing the horn. (Diagram enclosed with horn) Connect the positive lead from the compressor to the output of the relay.

12) To power the horn you will see some connections on the top of the battery covered by a plastic protective cover. Lift the cover back and on my particular car one of the outputs was not used. This however has a 60 amp fuse link. I took a standard fuse link and put one side of the fuse link to this vacant connector securing it with a 10mm nut. Feed the other side of the fuselink to the unused relay terminal. (20 amp fuse in this.)

Relay secured to battery tray via cable tie

13) Turn on ignition and press horn button and be impressed.

14) Sounds difficult but if it take you longer than half an hour including tea then you are making hard work of it.